Short Encore rifle barrels 16-18-20"

jcs271

I am thinking of building a short/light rifle (prob. in 308) to carry strapped on my daypack when on my swowmobile. My calling area is pretty thick timber so my Benelli M2 is my primary gun but occassionally I need to reach out 150yds max.

I have been looking at various compact bolt guns but thought it might be fun to get something dirrerent like an encore rifle with a short barrel.

I have plenty of ars,varmint and hunting rifles etc.

Remember this is just for a short fun specialty gun so I need your thoughts on where to find STAINLESS short 308 barrels at reasonable price.

Even a 20" barreled Encore is a short gun comparatively. Less than 38" depending on stock. I found that very short rifles can be difficult to steady so if it were me I start at 20"....you can always have it bobbed off if you want it shorter.

I'd look for a used barrel if you want a reasonable price. A place to start is the Gray Beard Outdoors website. They have a great "For Sale" section specific to TC Encores.

Silvertp

You also mentioned the word "light". If your max range is 150 yards then I would look at a Contender. The Contender comes in a lot of great cartridges. But two great Contender cartridges are the 30-30 and the 7-30 Waters. MGM could make any barrel length you want. You can also get a 45-70 in a Contender. However that 45-70 can have some heavy recoil in such a light rifle. That 7-30 Waters is one great cartridge for your needs. And you can easily make cases from 30-30 cases. And a rimmed cartridge is normally more accurate in a single shot rifle, once you get your shoulder headspace correctly sized.

Th 30-30 cartridge is a great cartridge. Especially in a single shot rifle. Sierra makes a 130 grain bullet that is specifically designed for the 30-30 in a single shot rifle. It is a great bullet for 30-30 velocities.

You could also look at the EABCO BRM cartridge's. They are also rimmed cartridges. Take some time and read all the information on the Bellm, and EABCO web site. There is a lot of good information there.

I have thought about putting a 17" Contender Carbine together. That would be one light, fast handling rifle that would be a dream in brush or tight quarters. And in the 30-30 with a 130 grain bullet would be deadly on up to deer sized game at distances well past 150 yards. Tom.

Last edited:
not quite an answer for you, but: as far as accuracy with T/C short barrels go; i'm impressed. I had an Encore pistol in 30-06 with the 15" barrel. After trying a few factory loads it ended up liking the Federal 165 gr. btsp.. Off the bench it was always under 3/4" m.o.a. I had three that were 1/2" or a tad under. In short: I would'nt hesitate shooting a short barreled encore. Actually sounds like a great idea for a next project.
good luck, and be sure to keep us posted.

I like the contender as well. Have the pistol and love it.

As far as barrels go, you can either have one made, or you can go to eds contenders and pick one up at a reasonable price. have one now that is 16" ss and has a muzz break in .308.

its not super light but H&R makes the survivor in .308, mine is super accurate. also other cals as well, and they are cheap.

Dave

I already have a Contender in 7-30 waters and it is a great rig.

I am just looking for something new and different, and I really want a full rifle stock not a pistol grip.

Maybe I should stick with the 7-30 caliber though, that is a good idea.

THANKS

Just a thought, but since I already have the contender frame, I could just buy a 16" barrel and stock set then do the conversion (yes, I know that would be a one way trip with no legal way to return to pistol status). My old barrel with Leupold EER scope and SSK 3 ring setup along with Pachmayer stocks with swivel studs would probably pay for the new stuff. Hmmmmmmm.......

Originally Posted By: jcs271I already have a Contender in 7-30 waters and it is a great rig.

I am just looking for something new and different, and I really want a full rifle stock not a pistol grip.

Maybe I should stick with the 7-30 caliber though, that is a good idea.

THANKS

If you really want something different(and I can really understand that), take a look at the EABCO cartrdige. The 6.5 BRM. That cartridge is a real dandy also. And it is different, and brass is cheap to buy. If you already have the Contender then you are already on your way. That would be a lightweight DANDY. Just get that rifle stock and go for it. Tom.

You just have to make sure that what ever caliber you decide on that the barrel length is 18-20". No pistol barrels on a frame with a rifle stock. 7x30 Water's in a 20" barrel would be a good place to start since you already have the same caliber in a pistol.

blacksheep

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas, I think I will just go with a rifle barrel in 7-30 waters and add a stock to my contender.

P.S. Blacksheep, the barrel only needs to be 16" in length on a rifle. (18" for a shotgun with an overall length of 26" for both rifle and shotgun)

I guess another posible option would just be to have my smith put a flash hider (bird cage AR style?) on the barrel to meet the 16" length and then I would only need to buy a stock.

Could then keep my(accurate)barrel, scope, rings etc. Might just be a fun and cheap project.

Any thoughts?

You are correct Ornery, the flash hider MUST be "permanently affixed" to be counted as additional barrel length

Here is one I built last year. I started with a 15in 7mm-08 pistol barrel and had a muzzle brake added permently to exceed the 16.25 legal length. I also had the barrel drilled and tapped to accept a fullsize forearm. I will admit that it is a little loud, but looks pretty cool and only weighs 6.25lbs with scope. My plan is to let my son use it, plus carry it on a coues whitetail hunt here in AZ. David
DSCN9896-1.jpg

DSCN9894-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: jcs271Thanks for the ideas, I think I will just go with a rifle barrel in 7-30 waters and add a stock to my contender.

P.S. Blacksheep, the barrel only needs to be 16" in length on a rifle. (18" for a shotgun with an overall length of 26" for both rifle and shotgun)

The National Firearms Act states that a rifle must have a barrel length of over 16". Thompson Center actually won a court case allowing the contender/encore to be converted from a rifle to a pistol and back as long as rifle barrels were on guns with rifle stocks and pistol barrels were on guns with pistol grips. The 16" pistol barrels are techically over 16" at 16 1/4", but they are still considered pistol barrels.I have found that most gunsmiths around here will only cut a rifle barrel down to 18". I went with a 20" barrel for my son's 6.8 Rem G2 Contender and it is a tackdriver.

blacksheep

Not to beat the issue to death Blacksheep but the lawsuit that TC won ONLY covered one very distinct situation. TC for a very short time marketed a "Contender Kit" that came with both pistol grip and rifle stock as well as barrel sets and advertised the utility of quick changes back and forth between rifle/pistol.

They were immediately pursued by BATFE and ended up in federal court. TC prevailed but ONLY on that kit. The court decision and ALL subsequent ATF "determinations" clearly say that any firearm other than the original kit guns may never be interchanged.

Thats why in my original posts I pointed out that my TC PISTOL could be converted to a rifle but could not ever legally be returned to pistol configuration. On the other hand a TC RIFLE can NEVER be assembled into a pistol configuration.

This issue still confuses many people and has been beaten to death on the internet but the documents are available from both TC Arms and the BATFE if you ask for them.

I know its stupid but thats the way it is.

We used to say "there is no reason for it, its just dept. policy".

P.S. Sweet rifle AZhuntnut, I'm going to build that same rig except in stainless and call it the Wolf Whisperer.

I have an encore 15" 223 pistol and it is way more accurate than I am, easily a 200 yd weapon and perfect for your day pack. By the way if you get it before December 31
TC has a rebate :
100 bucks off a new gun
50 bucks off purchase of a barrel

Back