Do coyotes use den's year round?

doghunter12

I read that coyotes lay up in day time in areas out of wind, and near evening food sources. Do they use den's through out the year or primarily for use of rearing offspring? We see a number holes, some which appear to be den's (usually facing south) some that look like they have some activity. Main question is, Do they go to their home after work, or bed during the day at their convienince?

Thanks chuck

Last edited:
tt2.gif

Last edited:
Chuck,

They typically do not use their den hole. Other than rearing pups.

However, anytime of the yr. They may use it to seek shelter from bad weather, fleeing from danger, ect. Otherwise, they mostly bed in an area that shelters them from the prevailing winds. Sometimes, they'll use a different structure, other than their den hole. To weather out a storm or bad weather.

Red Fox, are no different.

Although, after the yearlings have left. The local pr, will still often stay close to that den site/[core area]. As it is typically a comfort area to them. Typically free from danger.

Coyote den holes I've seen are generally around 10-11" wide x 12-14" tall give or take. Wider than tall, in other words. Same as Red Fox, [wider than tall] but down-sized abit from the coyotes.

Last edited:
Red den hole from last season. This pr of Red's & one of their yearlings used this entrance hole numerous times last Winter. During harsh weather only. Otherwise they didn't use it.

I've seen where coyotes done the same thing in Winter. Around central Iowa, some coyote will hunker in a road culvert for shelter. Other's will use a wind brake & will let the snow form over them.

edit; Note the claw marks near the top of the hole. Indicative of a canine dig.

Jan1309004.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they will Dustballs. But sometimes, they'll dig a different den hole in the same general area. Or move completely to another area in their territory, to dig a den hole.

Back