CZ 527 American mods:

E5B

There's been a lot of discussion as of late about the CZ rifles so I thought I'd post this in hopes of answering a few questions.

It's taken me years to settle on this rifle and it is perfect for me and predator hunting so I'm dang proud of it. Short, light, detachable mag, mauser action, single set adjustable trigger and great reputation....can't beat it! For my "go to" calling rifle I wanted something short, light and accurate. The 527 fulfilled all those demands and more. It handles great, well balanced and is an outstanding shooter. Mines in 204.

First mod I had done is the bolt handle. Sent it off to James Calhoon http://www.jamescalhoon.com/ and he milled down the bolt so it will clear the ocular lens of a scope that is mounted on Med rings. (Rifle came with High rings for this reason). If I remember correctly it was $40 or so.

Second mod is the magazine. Sent the trigger guard/magazine well, magazine release and one magazine to Roy Bertalotto http://www.rvbprecision.com/articles/11/cz...zine-conversion and he milled down one magazine and the trigger guard to allow a shortened magazine to fit nearly flush. Most folks won't purchase a 527 because of the magazine protrusion. The price you pay to have a nearly flush mag is a 3 round mag vice 5 round HOWEVER, the standard 5 round mag (which is shown in the second pic) will still work. $65 if I rememeber right.

Before: (w/ high rings)
CZ-3.jpg

After: (w/ med rings and a Double Coyotee call & 5 round mag)
family_003.jpg

I have a VX-III 3.5-10x40mm scope coming in a few weeks and then I'm sending the whole rifle off to get dipped in Mossy Oak Brush. Pics will be posted when the camo job is complete. The "backwards" safety is no big deal. It took me one trip to the range to get used to it.

I've had it almost two years now and like it so much that I purchased another CZ. This one is my long range/prairie dog rig: CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar 22-250

I really like my CZ 527 Varmint. It's also in 204 Ruger. I run an 8 by 32 Tasco target dot scope on it in the spring and summer for ground squirrels and rock chucks and a 3 by 9 goes on it in the fall and winter for coyotes.

I looked at the conversions your talking about, but mine seems to work very well as is so I'm just leaving it alone. I also found the safety no problem. I also shoot a CZ 452 and it's also got a backward safety. For me it was no harder than learning the sideways safety on a Remington 870. I just never did understand all the safety griping.

My next rifle will probably be a CZ 550 FS in either 6.5 by 55 or 9.3 by 62 for deer and elk hunting. I'm getting to the point where I don't shoot so far that I need the magnums anymore.

I pick it up this week:

cz4.jpg

cz21.jpg

The pattern is Backlands West. Looks very similar to Mossy Oak Brush.

Last edited:
I'm shooting HSM ammo w/33 gr Calhoon hollow points. It seems to like it fairly well - .75" 3-shot @ 100 yards. Dropped 12 or so coyotes, 20+ hogs and 2 Javalina with it so far.

I'm pleased.

The wife-unit has a 527 M1 American in 223 w/synthetic stock. She loves it...santa brought it last Christmas. (it's also my back up calling rifle.....don't tell here that, though).

I also have a CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar 22-250 that is an outstanding shooter.

Bottom line: I'm impressed with CZ's and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Nice rifle!

Did anyone notice that IdBob had posted in this thread?

I miss that guy... hope there are a lot of dogs where you're at brother.

Chupa

I was just at the Boise gun show last Saturday with a couple of buddies that also read this forum. Less than 30 minutes into the show I came across an older gent sitting at a table selling a CZ 527 American in .223 topped with a vintage (that means 'Merican made, folks!) 3X9 Redfield scope on it. His asking price? $365! Do I have to say that I bought it? I have the same gun in .221 Furball and it will knock the nuts off a gnat at 200 yards. I had no need for yet another .223 rig, but hey- what could I do? Those little CZ rifles really will shoot. Alas, I have not yet made it to the range with mine, but hope to this weekend. IdBob was right about them CZ rifles, I will give him that!

Another +1 for the CZ527.

Mine is a .223 American ........ I went for .223 because:

1) I'm a TITEWAD and .223 brass was callin' me!

2) I wanted a walking cougar legal gun and in Washington State you must use at least a .22 Centerfire on them.

I will say this. When it comes to long shots I like a heavier rifle than the American model. For walking you simply CAN NOT BEAT IT! But put on sand bags for a real long bomb and I get too much fidgets in the scope to suit me.

VERY GOOD GUN ........ VERY GOOD single set trigger .... a shade off of the Canjar single set on my 788 but you just can't have EVERYTHING .........

...... and it's only guilty of being "too light" ...... as if that's possible!!!

VIVA CZ!!!

I have some big guys too. Two 8mm milsurp CZ's ....... and a commercial post WWII CZ with a Shilen 7mm Rem mag bull barrel ....... my freinds call that rifle "QUIGLEY".

And a CZ 52 pistol (7.62X25)

Three 44s

Three 44s said:
But put on sand bags for a real long bomb and I get too much fidgets in the scope to suit me.

Oh pershaw! I have just a bunny bag at the rear and a 6" Harris bipod on the front of mine and tagged itty bitty ground squirrels almost to 300 yards with my .221 Fireball. I was shooting off a nice firm bench, but the gun had to be able to do it. Had the scope set on 15X and they were not all that difficult to hit. Major fun too. I will admit that is stretching it a bit for that little bugger, but took prairie dogs with it further than that, but here again, will admit not much further.

love my 527 varmint .223 walnut stock. Would NEVER sell it. Would be sweet to pick up an american in .221 FB someday for some variety and good for long hikes or bustin jack rabbits too.

Originally Posted By: E5BI've also been toying with the notion of getting another American but in 221 this time.

This is where the idea of fun and accurate and lightweight centerfire rifle came from. Gol-Dang! Walk around all day with no more discomfort than toting a Ruger 10/22. And it's got a 22" barrel on it so it aint a shorty. Tag ground squirrels prairie dog and jackrabbits all day long. And don't get whupped doing it. Pretty quiet too as it dont hold but 14-15 grains of powder most times. Really ought to check it out. I say you should so you should now. Go on- Git! Tell us how much you like it so I can be saying "I tole jew so!".

Back