Big day calling coons

Although it doesn't hurt to be careful, the little things don't seem to matter as much calling coons as they do with coyotes. We still use camo, face masks, and hand signals so we don't have to talk. Leaves are always an issue in the timber and you just do the best you can so as not to telegraph news of your presence.

How far I sit from the tree is a function of where I can get the best view, and how far I need to be so I don't blow them apart with my shotgun. Sometimes we're right up close, other times we're back a ways so we can see the ends of branches that might have holes in them. Each setup dictates its own details, but we never sit more than thirty yards back.

Quote:
W Should make some good eating.

Did I miss something?

So we have some pockets of coons around but no trees like that. Should I set up along the marsh areas at night or what are my options.

Awesome stuff Cdog911!!!The video was great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I've read alot of your stories about coon calling and they really got me interested in trying it.Raccoon season started December 1st here but I havent had time to get out there and see if Im any good at it.I have a JS Preymaster and the coon calling card to go along with it.The only thing that worries me is that it doesnt have the Kit In Distress sounds on it and that sound seems to do the trick for alot of guys that call raccoons alot.It does have the Raccoon Fight sound on it so thats probably what I'll use most of the time.Does the raccoon fight only work during the mating season?Thats something I've wondered about but I just wasnt shure.There arent alot of trees where I live but I do know where a couple of dens are that I know raccoons lived in a one time or another.I dont know if they still do or not but I'll definately have to try there first.Since there arent very many trees around here I'll have to go to old farmhouses and try my luck there as well.I know there are raccoons around I just dont know enough about them to know where to look for their houses or if their home once I do find them.Hopefully I'll get out in the next week or so and see if I cant get one or two of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Was ording my new FX3 yesterday and ran across your post. Made me through in a few coon calls as we have plenty of the masked bandits running around here. Seems like every deer stand I put up they always find it more comfortable than there own dens as I have found they napping in the seats. Not always fun to find them up there in the dark.

Thanks for posting the video.

If you have coons, they have someplace to live. Find those places and set up on them. Den trees are glaringly obvious den sites. Look also for brush piles, bank holes, old farm equipment, and one of my favorites - abandoned farm houses. If you want some real hair raising action, set up in one room, your back against one corner, and hit the button. If they're there, you'll hear the walls and ceilings come to life!

The JS Preymaster was my first e-caller and I called a lot of coons with that card, Rattler. The kit distress is a dandy sound, but I started with the coon and meadowlark (I think?) on that card and worked my way up. You should be able to call a bunch o' bandits with that set up. The only reason I upgraded was to get rid of the wire.

As far as the raccoon fight working only in the mating season, nope. They're not mating now, and we get plenty of action using those sounds.

Cdog911, I've been hitting the den trees and stacking them up. I've been wanting to set up on brush piles, but wasn't sure the how. I've been doing this alone, with a 17HMR auto and things have been lively at times.

I think all our coons are frozen now. -22 degrees this morning.

Seriously, Calling coons is one thing I've had extremely limited success with. I remember years ago I picked poor Gerald Stewart's brain almost dry with my questions. He even felt so sorry for me that he sent me a couple of free cassette tapes. Alas... it still didn't help.

I'm really a newbie. Nearly a virgin at this. I've called a handfull of coons outside of Texas. It seems that no matter what call you use in Texas, if there's a coon there, he'll check you out.

One night I was calling along a creek in Texas with my Minaska Bandit with the kit distress. I played it for five minutes and didn't see a thing. I switched to sow fight and the entire creek came alive with eyes and charging coons. There were easily ten coons charging the truck. Never seen anything like it before or after.

LOL , Randy. Isn't it amazing how much those little buggers are drawn to a full blown, smash mouth, butt-whoopin' party? Good thing coyotes aren't that aggressive. Huh?

R. Buker, this is my first season daytime den calling. Yesterday it was 8 degrees with a 20 mile wind. Decided to see if they would come out in this weather. Found out they would. I have noticed that not all den trees have residents. Which raises another question for Cdog911, how often do you go back to a producing den tree?

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL , Randy. Isn't it amazing how much those little buggers are drawn to a full blown, smash mouth, butt-whoopin' party? Good thing coyotes aren't that aggressive. Huh?

Damed good thing... I'd be a basket case!

Thanks for the info Cdog911.
Im glad to hear that you have had good results with the Preymaster.I was thinking that I would start out with Coon and Meadowlark sound and once I got one to thinking about coming out I would switch to the Coonfight to bring it all the way out.I know alot of abandoned farmhouses that raccoons are hangin out at so I'll definately make a few trips to those places.Tailwater pits are also a very good spot for coons to hang out at I've found out also.A few months ago I saw a big raccoon and four decent sized ones run across the road so I slowed down to see where they would go.The biggest one ran ahead of the others and all the sudden it stopped and got on its back feet to look over the tall grass to make sure I wasnt following them.I saw them headed towards a tailwater pit that has a big tree right beside it but they soon disappeared and I never thought much about it.Last week I was over by the tree and noticed a big hole going up under it so I'll bet money thats where their staying.I'll hit up a few of the spots I have in mind and hopefully I'll have pictures and a good story to tell afterwards.Again thanks for all the great info.Im ready to get out and try it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I was out trying to help somebody kill a deer that same day and the weather was just insane. When I got out there at around 6:30 it was in the mid to high 50's. So I was like, "hey its pretty warm outside I guess I won't need my heavy pants or jacket". By noon it was in the 20's, and the wind was almost a constant 35-30 mph. It was weird, I've never seen the weather go from the high 50's to the teens that quick. But speaking of raccoons, we decided to try and run some deer since we knew they would all be bedded and it was the only chance we would have to get any deer. So I was walking along and saw a squirrel nest, and it was rustling and moving around, so I shot right below it and a raccoon popped out. I shot him but he wasn't big enough to skin out and he didn't have a nice coat anyways. So there's my raccoon story. I had no idea you could actually call them like that and I'm surprised that you could get anything to come in with such bad weather. I may have to give it a try next time the weather sucks, cause there sure as [beeep] won't be anything else active when the weather's like that.

John56,

I'll tap a good denner once a week until it dries up. Sometimes, that means one good day. Others seem to produce two or three times in a row. One spot we called Sunday afternoon is where we have orders to clear them out. Take no prisoners. I was there a week ago and popped three. All yearlings, about 25#. Two came out of the same hole, one right after the other, and the second one fell dead atop its sibling. The first one we called there Sunday came from that same hole and was the same size. A half-mile north, we whacked a big sow, probably their mama. The owners (two of them between these two sites) are happy to know that they're gone.

Quote:
I just want to know what exactly is coon calling sound 80, 87, 90! Got to be a whole lot easier than chasing coon dogs!

I bet it dont sound near as good though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also would like to know if there are any downloadable sounds for my mp3 player I don't have the money for an expensive e caller right now.

Never mind you can buy them from minaskas web site
smile.gif

Back