7mm Ultra or SAUM

I dont know about the 7mm but I have a 300 saum and love it but ammo is expensive and hard to find. I reload all mine, jus something you might want to consider

Just built a 7saum on a predator action and hart barrel 1in9" shoots the 180 bergers @ 2950. I really like it. Case has a better neck than the WSM.

Apples to oranges comparing the 7mm Ultramag to the 7mm SAUM, and I personally wouldn't choose either one, but if I were forced to, I'd take the 7mm SAUM simply because you can buy/build a lightweight short action rifle. If I were in the market for a 7mag, it'd be a 7mm WSM.

Opinion-buy something else. I would buy what is common like WSM.
Funny story, a local gun shop closed a few years ago. Guns & ammo flying out the door. Hundreds of guns and thousands of boxes of ammo. Safes holsters scopes all gone in short order. With the place gutted empty there was one section of ammo that nobody wanted at any price. You guessed it, Remington SAUM.

Have a 7saum in a stainless synthetic. Nice lite deer rifle. Shoot 3/4 in groups with factory 140s. Ammo is High and I now load my on. Recoil is really not bad. Son took a whitetail at 498yds with it last year off bipod and truck hood.. Been very pleased with this little gun from day one. Good luck on your choice.....

Both are reloader's cartridges. I have the 7 SAUM and the 300 and both are tack drivers. I have never bought a box of factory ammo for either, but I have long stated that if Remington wanted to make the cartridges a success they would sell the ammo for the same price as 30-06.

I bought the 300 M7 from Cabela's on the sales rack for $399 less $100 in Cabela's bucks, how could I go wrong. My load workups for the 7mm consisted of using H4350 and just about any bullet I can stuff in it for great accuracy. I did shoot two coyotes last year with it using 120 grain NBT's. The frontal shot worked out pretty well, that fur is still in the shed, the second was an ugly mess (side shot), so I went back to the 22-250.

I think the 7mm RUM is hideously overbore and would recommend getting closer to the game instead of stretching out the shot. Painful to shoot as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mrgunslinger7 WSM pushing 180 bergers at 3400 fps.
You read that right 3400 fps.

I call BS here you cant get an ultramag to push them that hard

I am only getting 3100 fps out of my 7mm ultra mag with 90gr retumbo and a 160 gr nosler. I dont see how you are getting 3400fps with a 180gr out of wsm. You sure it is 180 gr and not 100gr.
As for your original question. I love my ultra mag. Shoots great killed a deer last year at 450yds and droped him.

Buy a 300 wsm and be done with it can get bullets most anywhere for it , not so for the 7 saum or 7 wsm. I have been shooting one for about 8 years now and love it.

I reload everything so limited factory ammo doesnt bother me. And i know norma makes 300 saum brass, so i know there is quailty brass out there. I know alot of people like the wsm stuff. I was just looking for something different, but ofcousr it needs to be an accurate round.

if anyone neeeds ammo for their 7mm saum there is a place in nebraska called Don's Hobby Guns
PO BOX 1659
Kearney, NE 68848

phone # 308-234-6358

they are selling 160 grain nosler partition remington ammo for $20 per box. It sure beats paying $45 at the local gun shop.

Originally Posted By: guywildstorm7 STW for me.
I 2nd that.
The 7 STW is my next build and isn't much slower (100fps i think) than the rum. It seems like the brass for the STW is a lot easier to find and cheaper if you buy it 1x.

Originally Posted By: Mrgunslinger7 WSM pushing 180 bergers at 3400 fps.
You read that right 3400 fps.

Yeah, I read it right, you must have typed incorrectly.

Back