22 Magnum ammo

marco

Ive been shooting the 22 magnum for over 30 years and in that time Ive been doing alot of hunting and testing different ammo I just wanted to see what was the best all around pure varmint type ammo and this is what I came up with. For all around power and bullet expansion and down range power I have to pick the Winchester 34gr. Supreme at 2,100+Fps. it just seems to hit the hardest at all of the 22 magnum ranges out out 150yds. Number 2 would have to be the Rem/CCI 33gr. V-max hard hitting and excellent expansion. The CCI 30gr. TNT is very close to the supreme and Rem v-max and does fragment better out to 100yds. it just doesnt have the hard hitting energy past 100yds. Last place the new 30gr. V-max ammo from CCI/Hornady the one thing I notice about this new round is at close range I not getting any fragmentation and at long range expansion isnt that great it is very accurate though. ~Marco

A couple of years ago, I tested several 22WMR ammo, also. My testing was done at 50 yrds, so Your longer range tests are greatly appreciated.

My tests were done by shooting in to water soaked computer paper, with my Ruger 96.

The most devastating in regards to fragmentation and damage, was the TNT. It also penetrated the least and it is one of the few that didn't shoot MOA in my 96. The Winch. 34gr. and the Rem. 33gr. did very well. Not as much damage to the (paper) wound channel, but still very impressive. Both rounds fragmented, impressively. They also penetrated more than the TNT. At the time of my testing, the Hor. V-Max was not yet available.

At 50 yards, in terms of damage, mushrooming & penetration, the winner was the Win. 40gr.HP. CCI's 40gr.HP was a close 2nd, and the disscontinued CCI 50gr.Gold Dot HP, penetrated the best and mushroomed perfectly, however it did less damage in the wet paper. It mushroom diameter was a little less than the other 2. It should be noted that the CCI 40gr. HP fragmented slightly, as opposed to the other 2, that did not at all.

So, at 50 yrds. or so, if I were to go after larger small game with the 22mag, I would go with the Win.40gr.HP. Smaller varments would be hunted with either the Win. 34gr. or the Rem.33gr.

I am going after jacks this wkend. and I'll be trying the V-Max round on them ... if I see any.

I agree with marco. I have not done alot of testing per say. I have killed quite a few different critters with different rounds, including coyotes, and for me the most effective has been the Win Supreme 34 gr for both accuracy and knock down power.

Yep, the Winchester 40gr. HP best for penetration and mushrooming. I got very little expansion from the 50gr. Federal. Rem/CCI game point zero expansion! Try shooting into gallon water jugs at 100yds. with the 22 magnum its alot of fun and it will show a few things. The CCI TNT had a little more fragmentaion then the Win supreme but not much the thing about the Win 34gr. Supreme was it hit a whole lot harder so did the REm 33gr. V-max the CCI 30gr. V-max went right through the jug at 100yds. with no fragmentation! But the only real test is on small varmints and the Win 34.gr Supreme is the best as far as I can tell. ~Marco

Originally Posted By: JBinMontanaIts been alot of years since I owned a .22 WMR rifle, so this is gonna get fun again.

They are a blast to shoot aren't they. I have always liked the 22 mag.

Hi Marco,

You have apparently done a lot more testing with the round than I have. I don't have much experience in the field on game, but I have punched quite a lot of paper with the 22 mag. For accuracy, at least in my rifle, the nod goes to the Remington 33 gr. V-Max. So far that's the most accurate load I have ever shot in the small magnum. How it might perform on game (other than crows) I can't say. But it is devasting on crows.

I shoot the CCI 40gr Game Point. it is very accurate in my marlin 922M and does a pretty good number on hogs. It is OK for squirrels as long as I make head shots.

Have you guys ever heard of PMC Predator ?
I bought a few cartons a couple yrs ago after testing several brands in a couple rifles and a single 6 Ruger. I don't think it was any cheaper but it's what shot the best for me.

I chronoed the PMC ammo when it first came out and got low velocity readings from 20 and 24" barrel 22 magnum rifles Im sure they probley got it figured out by now looks like good stuff. For 40gr. ammo I like the Winchester super X true jacketed HP or FMJ loaded in the USA and the very first 22 magnum ammo great stuff! My son likes the REm 40gr. SP chronoed very good and its accurate. On the Rem/CCI 33gr. V-max what can I say excellent round for varmints accurate great blowup expansion. Thats the thing about the 22 magnum there isnt any bad ammo out there. ~Marco

Speaking of PMC their is a large lot for sale on rimfirecentral if you are looking for some, seemed like a good price if I remember correctly.

I have shot several coyotes with the 33 grain Remington load with excellent results. They were all chest shots and no more than 100 yards. Killed them right in their tracks and no fur damage at all. I wouldn't try them over 100 yards though.

Ive taken coyotes with the Rem 33g.V-max and it does drop them in there tracks. They are very accurate I think they are as close to match grade ammo for the 22 magnum as you can get! And its all Cooper rifles use to test in there 22 magnums. ~Marco

That's good to hear. As I say, the Remington 33 gr. V-Max is the best shooting 22 mag load I have ever used. Now I feel more confident (if ever the need arises) to use it. It just might make a good bobcat load as well.

6mmo6, I shot a bobcat last year with my 20" barreled Ruger velocity a little slower than that of my 24"VMBZ and at 60 yds. hit the bobcat just below the right eye bullet didnt exit went up into the brain totally explosive you cant beat that! The chronoed velocity from my 24" VMBZ for 10 shots was 2,140fps. and out of my 20" barrel was 2,040fps. taken at 10ft. from muzzle, velocity always very good with this ammo SD is always good for rimfire ammo If I can rememeber right it was around 50fps. average. Like I say its like match grade ammo for the old Mag it looks good bullets always seated well crimp also very consistent rim thickness also good. ~ Marco

Marco, what is your intended use for your ammo?

I live at the end of a paved road, people dump animals. The Winchester 34gr. Supreme at 2,100+Fps does not reliably kill a house cat at 75 yards. I can only feed so many.

The 40g Winchester HP does kill large dogs and cats with authority.

Back