Need help with a stuck bore snake

lanole

How in the H-E-double hockey sticks do you get a bore snake out of your barrel when the dadgum pull string breaks half way down the barrel? Happened to a buddy of mine's .243 he was cleaning today. He swears it was the right snake. He fed it through the action of his model 700 and about half way through a pull, the string broke. He threatened to soak it with lighter fluid and burn the rope out. He thinks then he could push the brush out with a cleaning rod. Not a good idea I know, but I didn't really have a better one to offer him. Any ideas before he ruins his rifle?

Pull it back out from the bolt side unless the snake is entirely in the bbl, otherwise push it back out the bolt end with a rod. The brush is the only part thats grabbing the rifling, the tail end is just a wipe.

That's what I thought. He swears its stuck to the point that he can't pull it back out the bolt end. I'm afraid he has used the wrong caliber. I will know for sure after tomorrow. He's going to bring it by my place.

Take it to a gunsmith. Might cost a little but they should have no trouble getting it out especially at this point. I've read a lot of threads on this topic and the more they mess with it the harder it is for the gunsmith to get out.

I know a lot of people like boresnakes BUT after a certain number of uses the best thing to do is to just throw them and get a new one.

Last edited:
I got one stuck in a 243 once that became a big deal getting it out. It took several highly mis-qualifed gunsmiths, a large plumb full snap-on tool chest and an impressive supply of adult beverage to successfully screw up a good Dewey rod and a few other random items trying make it come out. We won't even talk about the unregulated oxygen bottle with 1800 psi in it.
shocked.gif
Let me say this: if you are able to get hold of it good enough to pull on it, only twist "WITH" the rifling while pulling
mad.gif
We ended up with the barrel off the rifle when it was all said and done. It actually became quite comical as the night progressed, and it still inspires some belly laughs from the participants from time to time.
I like Boresnakes for pistols, shotguns and 22's, but thats about it for me now.

Anyway, good luck

Last edited:
Quote:I know a lot of people like boresnakes BUT after a certain number of uses the best thing to do is to just throw them and get a new one.

Wonder what that certain number is?

I'm sure it can be a real party getting one out. Wonder if it could be improved upon, maybe a small integral cable trailing!

I've heard some real horror stories about this..
My advice is to take it to a Smith.. He probably can't do anything that you can, but if ya leave it with him you won't have to watch the carnage...

I've never owned a bore-snake and don't plan to...
Never have understood why folks would never even consider using the same patch twice, yet they'll run that filthy thing through a barrel and never think twice about it..
Oh yea,,, I forgot,,, ya can put it in the washing machine...

Good Luck
Charlie

I have used them for 12 years and no problems here ...keep an eye on them and feed through the action not let it feed through the side and get caught on everything on the way in
more the likely this could have been the cause of the problem
not trying to be a smart butt they just have never failed me

I use them in the field for a quick clean up all the time. 20 cal and 22 cal. I agree with the previous post, don't get in a hurry and be careful to keep it straight and pull thru as straight as possible. Never had a problem.

Barrel is dirty, you shoot a bullet thru it....pulling a boresnake thru it isn't going to make this worse. Keep 'em clean, no big deal.

How long is this barrel that you could have a boresnake stuck in it and not have at least part of the snake sticking out ? My guess is your buddy either used the wrong snake or it pulled in looped up on itself.

Last edited:
Someone told me a few years back that if you bend the brush part so it will wrap around the pulley, that a bore snake makes a great lawn mower starter rope...

I've never even wanted to try to use one even for that purpose... But that's just me...

-BCB

Originally Posted By: Bayou City BoySomeone told me a few years back that if you bend the brush part so it will wrap around the pulley, that a bore snake makes a great lawn mower starter rope...

I've never even wanted to try to use one even for that purpose... But that's just me...

-BCB

laugh.gif
. Good to hear from you BCB.

If you don't want the brushes in them you can easily take them out of the bore snakes. I also always wash them in a bucket with a squirt of dawn dish soap and rinse and let dry tell next time.All I have ever used in my rifles since they came out.

try taking a rod or dowel and wrap it around the end of the bore snake that hangs out and twist it until the diameter starts to get smaller while pulling on it.

DO NOT TRY TO PUSH IT OUT. This will only make it worse. Thry to find some type of Jag that has a wire Cork Screw on it and pull from the back out. I had one stuck in a $4000 Shotgun Barrel and took a piece of wire and hooked the end of it and it slid right out.

Originally Posted By: hairtriggrI got one stuck in a 243 once that became a big deal getting it out. It took several highly mis-qualifed gunsmiths, a large plumb full snap-on tool chest and an impressive supply of adult beverage to successfully screw up a good Dewey rod and a few other random items trying make it come out. We won't even talk about the unregulated oxygen bottle with 1800 psi in it.
shocked.gif
Let me say this: if you are able to get hold of it good enough to pull on it, only twist "WITH" the rifling while pulling
mad.gif
We ended up with the barrel off the rifle when it was all said and done. It actually became quite comical as the night progressed, and it still inspires some belly laughs from the participants from time to time.
I like Boresnakes for pistols, shotguns and 22's, but thats about it for me now.

Anyway, good luck Was gonna post a reply and got distracted by the purple......

Ever try to pull a proper fitting brush back out of the bore from half way down, wont happen. He will have to push the brush on thru the way it went in, just me. ed

Another thought.
If you have access to a smallmuzzle loader ball screw you could put that one your rod, slide it in the bbl twist it in the head of the snake and pull it through without trying to push it back out since the bristles are facing the rear of the bbl as it is.
If it dont pull it through it would at least pull the innards from the snake thus making it smaller and looser.
That screw for a ML is designed to pull out lead balls from the muzzel of course.

Let us know what you end up doing to get it out.

grab it from the reciver end and pull and twist like stated above it will come out. Might have to put some stank on it but it will come back out.

i can't envison one place that you would need a boresnake, unless maybe on a backcountry hunt + then i would just wait till i got home to clean my gun! would you really want to take the chance?

Back