Are the more expensive choke tubes worth the price?

LeviSS

I'm looking at getting a couple more choke tubes for my 1300. The Win-chokes are about half as much as the Brileys.

Are the Brileys that much better?

I have Brileys for my Beretta 686 silver pigeon light
and my Browning gold fusion 20ga and also my extrema Beretta
and the extrema chokes are better or at least as good all the others the Brileys get the nod

ive had good luck with the carlsons, the cabelas chokes are made by them for cabelas and Id say they do what I need em to do, pattern nice. and they dont cost a ton of money

Dave

I can't comment on them for coyote stuff but I know my aftermarket "Terror Chokes" put the factory stuff to shame. They run about $80. I have shot some sweet patterns with my lead as well as steel through them. Hands down they are a must when shooting ducks.

But at the same time you need to figure out what its worth to you. Did I kill ducks before I got the choke? YES! Does this kill them better? Yes. I really noticed it on shots around 40 yards. When we would have a duck down and try to finish it our cheaper chokes took 4-5 shells. With my expensive choke it took 1 maybe 2. That was enough for me. Now here is the catch. If your shooting close range I don't think you need to spend as much, if you want the best pattern you can get at longer ranges that is where the money kicks in. Keep in mind though all chokes need to be patterned. My wife and I both shoot .675 Terror's Her's is out of a beretta mine is an SX-2. Her's loves 1 1/4 oz #BB's and mine doesn't. Mine shoots the 1 1/8 oz #BB's better. Also different shells shoot different. So pattern what ever you get.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer on that Shrek. I'am not much of a scatter gunner but just go a new Benelli. I too, have been wondering about the Carlsons and Patternmasters.

Originally Posted By: shrekI can't comment on them for coyote stuff but I know my aftermarket "Terror Chokes" put the factory stuff to shame. They run about $80. I have shot some sweet patterns with my lead as well as steel through them. Hands down they are a must when shooting ducks.But at the same time you need to figure out what its worth to you. Did I kill ducks before I got the choke? YES! Does this kill them better? Yes. I really noticed it on shots around 40 yards. When we would have a duck down and try to finish it our cheaper chokes took 4-5 shells. With my expensive choke it took 1 maybe 2. That was enough for me. Now here is the catch. If your shooting close range I don't think you need to spend as much, if you want the best pattern you can get at longer ranges that is where the money kicks in. Keep in mind though all chokes need to be patterned. My wife and I both shoot .675 Terror's Her's is out of a beretta mine is an SX-2. Her's loves 1 1/4 oz #BB's and mine doesn't. Mine shoots the 1 1/8 oz #BB's better. Also different shells shoot different. So pattern what ever you get.

A must? I keep thinking I should upgrade out of my Mod Remchoke in my 870, but I'm shooting about 75% this year on ducks - an AMAZING feat for me - so I can't justify $80 for the "must have" aftermarket choke.

Also, what do you have left of your ducks? BB's? Wow

LeviSS,
What is the job description for the chokes? For turkey and predators there are much better chokes. For clays games, bird hunting, ect. Briley is fine.

My 1300 is a NWTF gun and only came with an extra full choke. I was looking to get another choke for crow hunting mainly and clays secondarily. I've been using my 20 guage 870 and thought I'd like to try my 12 guage. I was thinking of trying the Briley in light modified (between improved cylinder and modified).

Right now my Beretta 686 12 gauge O/U has a Briley Light Modified in the bottom barrel and a Briley Improved Modified in the top barrel. It is set-up that way specifically for some crow hunting I have planned after deer season next week. That LM constriction is very useful all around for lots of shooting purposes. That is probably the most used sporting clays choke constriction of all them.

Originally Posted By: wishin4dogs[

A must? I keep thinking I should upgrade out of my Mod Remchoke in my 870, but I'm shooting about 75% this year on ducks - an AMAZING feat for me - so I can't justify $80 for the "must have" aftermarket choke.

Also, what do you have left of your ducks? BB's? Wow

I also have a Remington 870. That has a Terror. Like I said its all in what you can justify. I shoot lots of ducks and geese with my Ithica 20 gauge that has a fix mod. But when I have to rely on things dying right now I grab a gun with a Terror. We have a rule. Our dogs don't leave the blind until the birds are dead! Keep in mind Waterfowl hunting is our main thing. On a normal year we shoot 300-400 birds. Oh and the BB is for geese but thought It may fit a little better in the coyote area.
Goosehunt1.jpg

Last year we lost 3 birds out of 400 with "Terror Chokes.". Which I think is pretty good. Only reason we lost them was they dove the second they hit the water and were never seen again. Again let me repeat this, if your shooting close range (10-30yrds) you probably don't need to spend the extra money. But if you want to add to your long range pattern then I think they are a must. However they do create a problem. Now when your shooting 10-15 yards at a decoying duck you shoot the heads off. You do not want to shoot the body.
blush.gif

Here was opening weekend this year.

Day one.
OpeningDay066.jpg

Day Two.

Email13.jpg

Last edited:
I have several brileys, kicks and a patternmaster. All good chokes. I keep records of my patterning percentages with brand, shot size, charge and distance, ect. Spent several hundred dollars this year on ammo trying to find some good combos this year with a new gun. I'm fanatical about patterns. Not to say you can't do it with factory ones. The brileys are excellent you only have to buy it once so it's worth a few extra bucks. I have a briley light modified. It's my go to duck, dove and sometimes pheasant choke. Great choice for crows. The actual constriction varies a good bit from gun to gun but the light mod will be great for what you want to do.

Back