Bobcat Gun. (Strickly bobcat)

shrek

Guys my game plan is to put the hammer to the cats this winter. Well I was curious what you guys would have if you had to pack one gun for calling just cats and why?

Id think that a Little Hornet would have all the power you need for Bobcats. A .22 mag might work as well, but youd have to make sure of shot placement and distance.. I doubt that with proper bullets the Hornet would tear em up too badly. Good luck !

shrek,

If I was going just for bobcats, I would get a rifle in the 17 call or 20 cal.

The new 17 Fireball, 17 Ackley Hornet, 20 Fireball, 20 Ackley Hornet, I would even go with a 204 Ruger. Small, fast, light jacket bullets without an exit.

Although I know people that use a 243 Win with an 75 to 80 grain bullets and not have an exit.

I see you have a 22-250 in the works, you could load your rounds down to minimum, and a really light bullet, like the varmint grenade, or a VMax in 40 gr, that should work great.

Good Hunting,
Gary

I was watching a video called VCO and they were shooting coyotes with a .204 and it wasn't very fur friendly but maybe it was just there shots. I do have a .223 but I was wondering about some of the smaller stuff just out of curiousity. Or maybe some other calibers that were better that I hadn't messed with. haha this also is an excuse to buy another gun.
grin.gif

Last edited:
If I was only calling cats my choice would be the .17 fireball using a Berger or Kindler gold 25 grain HP. Should be good out to 200+ yards and most cats are shot a lot closer than that so I wouldn't see any problem. In fact I wouldn't hesitate to use it on coyotes either.

I use a .204 for most of my coyote hunting and with the 35 grain Berger's I've never had a problem with pelt damage.

Originally Posted By: platapusYour .223 would work with a FMJ.

That doesn't sound like a very good idea...but I might be wrong.

Originally Posted By: DucksoupIf I was only calling cats my choice would be the .17 fireball using a Berger or Kindler gold 25 grain HP. Should be good out to 200+ yards and most cats are shot a lot closer than that so I wouldn't see any problem. In fact I wouldn't hesitate to use it on coyotes either.

I use a .204 for most of my coyote hunting and with the 35 grain Berger's I've never had a problem with pelt damage.

It may have been the shots. They were shooting them on an angle and instead of penitrating it looked more like the bullet exploded and deflected. But agian I know bullet could be part of that too.

If you already have a 204, 223, 22-250 etc, simply choosing the propper bullet/load would go a long ways compared to buying a whole new caliber.

I'd suggest 223 and 40gr Vmax or NBT.

12 gauge w/copper plated BB's. Most of the cats I have ever shot have been within 50 yards. Usually no sewing required with a shot gun.

drscott

My dedicated "fox/bobcat" rifle is actually a .22 mag. They're light skinned, and it seems like everything centerfire that I've shot them with tears them up too bad. I pretty much ruined a bobcat hide once with a .223, and that's pretty sad to see. A .17 Rem can be fur friendly, but the shooter better be pretty careful with bullet placement or it'll have an ugly exit.

I use either 40 gr Win JHP's or 33 gr Rem Premier ammo, and either works pretty well at the distances I shoot most cats and foxes at.

Daryl

I'd say that you could use a heavier round for you .22 cal guns made for heavier game. I recommend a 60 gr. partition, barnes 55gr., or speer trophy bonded bullets. I get great accuracy and VERY minimal pelt damage. Usually around about a 1/2" exit hole.

I'd like to try a .17 fireball too. I'd say buy a new gun though..!!!

When Deer/Elk/Antelope season is open it's my 6mm.
Camo6mmStock.jpg

If there is a chance a Coyote Double might present itself it's my Dipped DPMS (or is it a BushMaster?) .223.
TrickedR-152.jpg

Soon I hope it will be my Custom Lilja .17 REM.
MARLIN.jpg

For someone close by it could be the CZ .204 lightweight I have for sale. PM me.

shrek,my .22 hornet is the medicine for cat fever. been shooting one for 20+ yrs and love it. one thing i have found with the traditional varmit/coyote calibers if you can take your cat broadside aim a little farther back, stay away from the shoulder and smoke him. they will puff like a marshmallow small interance,small exit or not at all.if i were strictly cat calling the hornet would make every trip.but i have taken several with .223,22-250,.204 using the shoot'em a little father back method. hope this helps.

17 hmr Oh you said bobcats not elk. LOL!!!
The last 5 bobs I shot where with a 17 remington with 25 gr berger match bullet and no hide damage what so ever.
Shots from 10 feet to 60 yards.

For bobcats, go with a 12ga with Dead Coyote shells. They are fantastic. I have called 6, shot four, 2 with 12ga, 1 w/ 6.8spc, and 1 w/ a .257 Weatherby... Shotgun was great, 6.8 and .257 not soooo great! It made a huge hole.... As mentioned above, most come in very, very close. Everyone was less than 30 yards!

17 anything's are great for saving hides. You can also load down your 22-250 with a 55-70gr bullet with SR4759 powder to under 2000fps and that will kill cats ot coyotes dead to 100yds

Back