Barnes TSX Shooters?

I used R#19 and IMR 4064, the accuracy was great with both, with #19 being the hotter load.

Rem 700 243's
Rem brass
Win primer
45.5g of R#19

and 39.5g -40.2g of IMR 4064

I did not play with seating depth, just measured the lands in the rifle and jumped them .050

the R#19 load is faster than the 4064 load, both very accurate.

Surprisingly, it only took one box of 50 to work up these loads, and bullets are left over to hunt with...my lucky day.

Last edited:
I have seen the new Barnes 80 gr Tipped TSX's shoot very good groups through two different 243 rifles. Both of my 223's with 1-8" twists are shooting the new Barnes 55 gr TSX's good also.

My reloading partner just got done with an elk hunt in the Black hills of South Dakota. He took a cow at 220 yards using a ruger in .338 WM that we loaded with 210 Barnes TTSX over 65.0 grains of RL15, COAL per barnes.

The elk presented a broadside, slightly quartering-toward shot, bullet broke shoulder and punched through lungs,clipped liver, and exited through aft ribs leaving a fist sized hole. The cow made it nearly 25 yards before expiring.

I've worked up a load for my gf's 6mm rem with the 85g TSX for whitetail. A max load of 44.0g of IMR 4007ssc propels the bullet to 3400 fps. I started at min. charge and worked up in 1.0g increments to max, all seated at 2.825. All of the loads shot nearly identical so I loaded everything at 44.0 for the extra energy and left it.

We'll be deer hunting on the 21st and I'll report back with bullet performance then...however on crows and pigeons the TSX is a puff of feathers and no more birdy.

185 gr TSX in 340 Weatherby. 85 gr of IMR 4831. This load has worked well for the last 3 years with 2 bull and 1 cow elk, and 1 mule deer taken so far. I load these for a few different members of the famly and all like the performance of the Barnes bullet.

Have limited experience with several caliber TSX's. All were good.

185 TSX in 338 RUM = dead mulie
120 TSX in 7 rem mag = dead mulie + dead whitetails
150 TSX in 30-06 = dead whitetails
100 TSX in 25-06 = explosive PD's + explosive jackrabbits + dead whitetail
180 TSX in 30-06 = dead elk

I really like the 7mm 120 TSX and the 25 cal 100 TSX. No frowns on the others, but sometimes you just take a shine to something and have a hard time hiding it.

B

Thanks to everyone for all the good reports. It's always good to hear about actual field experiences. I'm anxious to give the 140 TSX a try in my STW. Wish me luck.

David

I loaded the TSX last year for elk and was disappointed. In my 300 RUM 180 gr TSX one bullet shattered on impact and tore a huge hole on the shoulder. The first bullet was higher and angeled through a rib then into the off shoulder high. Bullet I recovered looked like an FMJ. In my .338 RUM a 185 gr TSX came apart on impact.

I had been using Barnes Bullets for 10 years with absolutely no problems but I will no longer use the TSX.

Super Accurate but at ultra high velocity a little too unpredictable.

JCL,

I hope the bullet doesn't perform like the experiences you had. 7mm STW velocities are up there. I guess I won't know until I try it.

JB's 7mm08 velocities may make the bullet behave better.

Thanks for your input.

Which are best for accuracy? The Tipped TSX or the standard TSX, I've been using Barnes for over 10 years and to my knowledge I've never lost an animal. Of course I usually wait for a standing shot or I don't shoot. And I believe they are the best bullets. Another thought, Should I use TSX, Tipped TSX or Varmint Gernade for coyotes?

Lee

Lee,

I only have shot paper with the standard, non-tipped TSX, so I can't say about accuracy. I too questioned that when I first looked at the bullets. I wanted a lighter weight bullet than 150 grs. so I went with the non-tipped to give it a try. Man it's accurate, especially for the type of bullet it is. The old X bullets I used to shoot can't hold a candle to the TSX with regards to accuracy.

As well, I can't speak about the best one for coyotes since I don't have experience with that. Maybe someone else will chime in with some good field experiences.

Back