Hello! First post and first question on Mod 70 Coyote Outback

trevor73402

Hello,

I just want to say that this forum is really great! My dad was a member on here before he passed away last year. He was always telling me stories and showing me pics of some guy in Central TX? that hunted yotes and cats at night and took people on guided trips all the time. Anyway Ill get to the point here. Ive hunted all my life (Im 29) and I love predator hunting along with deer and turkeys. I live in southern OK so we have a few yotes and cats along with a fox occasionally. I have more guns than I can shoot but Im wanting to get a good coyote/varmit gun in .22-250. I have one already in a light weight browning and it shoots extremely well, but Im wanting something a lil different this time. I have narrowed it down to a Savage since I have never owned a Savage and I have heard many good things about them recently. I was thinking about the Model 12 possibly the "FV" with the heavy 26" barrell in black and synthetic. Today I was in a local gunshop and I spotted a Win. Mod 70 "Coyote Outback". I had never seen one of these rifels before and I was really impressed with the feel and the looks of it in Stainless and laminate stock. My question is does anyone know how these Coyote Outbacks shoot as compared to the Savage 12?? The Outback is about $300 more expensive so I would like to hear some reviews before I made a choice. As of now Im still leaning towards the Savage 12. Im wanting a gun for coyotes at maximum yardage. I hand load my own ammo so I realize that load developement will play a big factor here, but I want to start off with the best platform possible for the goal im wanting to achieve.

Also, if there is anyone that lives close to me that would like to meet up and hunt sometime let me know. I have a few places to hunt, nothing special, but Im always up for meeting new people and learing new things.

Thanks in advance for the opinions on the above guns.

I'd say you are in the right section, but it's possible no one that has experience with the rifles mentioned has read your post. I am sure that there are a few Savage model 12 owners but I don't recall hearing about anyone with a 70coyote outback. Hang in there, you'll get an answer,and welcome to the forum.

Hey Trevor - I was not familiar with the Coyote Outback when I read your post but did check it out. Looks cool enough and the best quick price check I saw was in the $750 range. I would be real tempted to put a little more with it and get a Cooper. There are many guys here that praise Savage but I dont care for them... As far as best shooting, lots of variables there with gun fit, loads, scope, etc.

Don't know about the Model 70 but the Savage 12FV is a real shooter.Pillar bedded,free floated,accu-trigger,floating head bolt.The laminated stocks are better than the cheap synthetic ones.For $850.00 you can buy the LRPV and I dont think there is another rifle marketed that will out shoot it out of the box.The LRPV has an HS stock that is aluminum bedded.

my wifes deer rifle is a model 70 and i think she loves that gun more than she loves me. i dont know about the centerfire savages but i have a savage 17 hmr, i cant say enough about the accutrigger. easily adjustable and the feel to me is perfect. my predator gun however is a weatherby vanguard 22-250 with the sand and black stock and the medium contour barrel. it is a great gun and shoots awsome groups. cant match up to the quality of the kimber or the cooper but for the money (around 650) i dont think it can be beat. should you go with the weatherby though i would steer clear of the scopes with big objective lenses. i got a 50mm which means tall rings. with the design of the stock i have to ride really high on the cheek peice to get a proper scope allignment. But there are tons of guns that fit what you want though so keep looking around. oh and welcome to the forum.

Hi welcome to pm ! I own a savage model 12FV .22-250 and its a very great shooter, but as a calling rifle it gets very heavy after a while. I used it last season till around january when i found a smoking deal on a stevens 200 in .22-250 its much lighter and more than accurate enough for me. As for the winchester model 70 , my buddy has one in 7mm wsm and its very accurate and not too heavy but i dont know how the price is on the one your asking about but if you decide on the savage, I got my model 12FV for $450 nib last year. There are alot of good choices out there good luck with your search.

Hey thanks for all the replies. I was starting to think that nobody was going to chime in.

SAVAGE FAN2 Where can I find the 12FV for $450?? Ive looked around alot and the cheapest I have found is Budsguns.com and its $538. Is there a better place to shop?

TOOFLESS where can I find the 12LRPV for $850....Id jump all over that price for that rifle if I could find it. Please let me know.

The model 70 I asked about was not just a regular Mod.70. It was called a "coyote outback" in .22-250 and had a 26" heavy fluted barrel and a nice laminate stock. The guy said they were "limited" but who know?

As for Cooper I will have to look at them. Ive never even seen one of these rifles.

Any help on where to find these Mod.12's for the prices that people have list above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Sorry i couldnt reply faster my brother and i had to go coon hunting and i still havent converted him to coyote hunting all the way LOL. Anyway I order almost all my rifles at a local pawn shop the guy doesnt charge near the msrp and for some reason savages are either still a secret or just cheap around here. No offense to the gander mountains or cabelas but they are very "proud" of their stuff and if you look hard enough there are deals to be had. I got mine last year and when i got the stevens i was told savage raised thier prices a little since then but not by much. $538 isnt that bad. If you dont have to have a heavy barrel savage also makes model 10 and 11s in .22-250 in both wood and synthetic stocks and the accutrigger for a little less $ than the model 12s and they shoot very well too some come as a package with a scope. Ive seen these rifles at several small shops around $350-$400 depending on the stocks and if they had scopes or not.

Back