First AR....any advice?

MA_bwhntr

Hey Guys,
I am going into my third year of coyote hunting. In that time I have gone from a shotguns, to a bolt 223, and now I am finally where all you guys appear to have been for a while... I am going to the dark side.
I dont know a whole lot about ARs, nor do I have a huge stack of money to lay down. So it looks like it will be something off the shelf with some possible upgrades for next year. I was just wondering if you all had any advice, any "must have's", or thing to watch out for an entry level AR shopper. My needs are pretty simple. I hunt out east and cant imagine ever shooting beyond 150yds, most of my shots have been within 50yds. Doubles and triples are pretty common. So basically, quick target aquisition for follow up shots is more important than high powered optics. I was actually thinking about mounting a zero power red dot that used to sit on my turkey gun to save a few bucks.
I started calling around yesterday and found several flat top MPs for +/-$850. I plan on making a purchaseby next Saturday. So guys, any advice?

Thanks

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction...Unless you are buying a new one, I would strongly suggest that you be able to test fire (for function) any used ones...

ARs are a lot like Motorcycles... previous owners like to 'tinker' with them and you never know for sure what has been done to the internals...

You don't want to be in the position where you start getting multiple rounds going off with one trigger pull...or wind up with a situation where it doesn't feed reliably...etc...

The two items on an AR that are critical to it's performance is the barrel quality and the trigger...Very few stock ARs have reasonable triggers, so plan on some kind of upgrade there...You will just have to go by barrel reputation until you get to shoot it for a while...most AR barrels don't really get down to their potential until after 150-200 rounds are through them...

From my point of view, I would get the collapsible stock model.
As your shooting positions change, having the adjustable length of pull is nice. Same goes for winter hunting when you wear more clothes.
I went from a 4-16 to a 3-9 now down to a 1.5-4 power scope. Even though I live in the west which is relatively open, I've only shot one coyote over 100 yards away.
I tried the Aimpoint on my rifle and in low light conditions, I thought the dot was still too bright and made aiming difficult. I did like the low magnification though.
I would also plan on taking the original vented compensator off and putting on a Levang Linear Compensator. It re-directs muzzle blast away from the shooter and makes it more tolerable. It's still loud, but not as loud as the vented style comp.
Personally, I'd get a 16 inch barrel versus a 20 or 24. Just easier to handle.
Lastly, I don't use the factory 30 rd mag that came with the rifle. I got a nice 10 round that is nice and short. It never gets in the way
Good luck in your search!! Keep us posted.
Mark

I like the 18" barrel as a nice compromise between the 16 and 20. However there are not too many 18 inchers out there. The collapsable stock is a good idea-it is more handy for transport, adjusts to clothing thickness, and allows younger or smaller shooters to use the rifle. I would not want a very heavy or 'bull' barrel either. Weight adds up quickly in the AR platform. The stock triggers often leave a lot to be desired but you can modify it yourself with the '15 minute AR trigger job' posted on the net. It is easy and makes a really decent trigger. I use a 10 round mag in mine when hunting coyotes-it is handier and holds enough rounds for most any situation. The R15 has most of the features I like but it may be out of your budget range. The DPMS Sportical is a nice entry level-no frills AR. The CMMG parts special is a nice AR by most all reports. Good luck-I have pretty much retired my bolt .223 in favor of the AR. TnTnTn

"ARs are a lot like Motorcycles" Very true OldTurdle!!! Never thought about it that way before. Both are a never ending game.

MA, For the shooting you will be doing, your red dot will do fine. Like OT said, most standard triggers are pretty bad, but can be lived with until you are able to upgrade. Not sure what barrel length your looking at, but keep in mind that 16" barrels are loud! I now wear hearing protection when calling with a 16" AR. You might check you local game laws, as not all states allow high capacity mags for hunting. So you might have to pick up a 5 or 10 round mag., Good luck!

Did I say 16" AR's are loud!!! Might be why I put my paper work in for my first "CAN" last week.

Last edited:
I think you should determine the configuration that you want first, then see if someone sells it like that at a good price. If not I would suggest putting it together from the beginning as you want it. That way you can stretch out the expenditure over time and not have to upgrade over time. There are a ton of tactical guns out there for sale but if that is not what you want... Of course you lose the immediate gratification. You will probably save a little too.

I posted that Midway had a DPMS lower complete on sale for $190 a week or two ago. Hard to piece it together for that price, even with dealer prices. (looks like that sale is over) Then find an upper that you like.

Last edited:
I knew I came to the right place!Thanks everyone for the solid advice. It sounds like I am pointed in the right direction anyway.
Massachusetts has some ridiculous gun laws and going full custom would risk crossing some fine print some where so I have made up my mind to go with a new model from a MA gun dealer to avoid any problems. That being said, I am going to look into the collapsable stock and keep the trigger in mind for over the summer. I saw on another thread that I will need raised rings to get the correct eye alignment, is that right?
Sorry for all the rapid fire questions, but the wife said "go ahead" and I want to get it before the fridge or washer breaks!!!!

The standard S&W MP is a very good rifle, with good internal parts, a mil Spec buffer tube, the correct front sight base (marked F) and a chrome lined 16" M4 contour barrel. It would meet your needs rather well.

Not to jump on another guys thread, but is there a barrel length of choice?

the build I'm planning on I was thinking of using a 24... Would I be better off going shorter?

Thanks

What you're looking for is a set of rings that are high enough so that the lenses on your scope will have room to fit.

So it really depends on what scope and upper you get.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChetPunisherNot to jump on another guys thread, but is there a barrel length of choice?

the build I'm planning on I was thinking of using a 24... Would I be better off going shorter?

Thanks

i would think a 24 would be kinda hard, in and out of pickup.
for hunting, i'll go for light and handy everytime.

18'' would be an inbetween choice ?
mid-length gas, and A1 stock..........[if it be me.]

iron sights, i'ed go with a dissipator.

peabody

Originally Posted By: TCS What you're looking for is a set of rings that are high enough so that the lenses on your scope will have room to fit.

It is no problem getting clearance for the lenses. AR scopes must be mounted much higher than that. The straight stock means that the scope must be mounted very high (compared to a bolt rifle stock) in order to get your eye behind the scope.

Jack

I have owned a bunch of AR's over the years. Including several different Colt's. Then I bought a Rock River Varminter model with the 20" barrel. That RR is one fantastic rifle. The accuracy is unbelievble and the standard trigger that comes in the varminter model is a good factory trigger. Or at least mine is. The varminter might be a pound or so heavy for what you want. But then RR has a couple of other comparable models that are slightly less weight. Personally the weight is not a factor for me. And I do like the 20" barrel, although an 18" barrel would also be nice.

There is a fellow here on the forum that just advertsied some good prices on RR's. You might want to give him a call. Tom.

What a learning curve on these things, especially out here in Mass! Here is what I have come up with in the last 48 hours....
First off the collapsable stock is out of the question. Apparently it makes the gun too "scary" for our legislators out here in Mass. It might be time to have the "lets move" talk with the wife again.
I have located 2 new flat top ARs within my budget. The first is an Olympic Arms K16 carbine. I could go buy it and be back home in an hour. The other is a M&P15ORC carbine with a mail in rebate for 5 addition clips. Unfortunately the M&P is 2 hours away and that means giving up a Saturday afternoon deer hunt.
Looks like I am taking a road trip huh?

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsOriginally Posted By: TCS What you're looking for is a set of rings that are high enough so that the lenses on your scope will have room to fit.

It is no problem getting clearance for the lenses. AR scopes must be mounted much higher than that. The straight stock means that the scope must be mounted very high (compared to a bolt rifle stock) in order to get your eye behind the scope.

Jack

I think that's a matter of personal fit. I have a red dot optic mounted right down on the flat top and don't have any issues with it. I understand what you're saying, and it does make sense. It just doesn't seem to work that way for me.

My bolt guns have the scopes mounted about 1.5" above the bore line because the stocks have a normal amount of drop built in to them. The AR was designed so the stock would go straight back to help control recoil under full auto fire. All of my Ars have the scopes mounted 2.5-2.75 inches above the bore line. When you shoot at something close the round can go right underneath a coyote or fox if you are aiming at center of mass. You should goto the range and shoot at targets that are close so you can get a feel for your gun when you get it.

The standard iron sights are 2.6" above center of bore. I use a 552 EoTech mounted directly to the rail, center of reticle is also 2.6" above center of bore, it co witnesses with the irons. If i remove the EoTech and the rear BUIS my scope mounted in detachable rings also sits 2.6" above center of bore it take just a few seconds to change things around and if you move optics between multiple rifles I find it easier if things are pretty much standard.

Back