Hinge pins

oregonneil

My question deals with hinge pins. I have a old Colt AR-15, it doesn’t even have the forward assist. I thought I read some where that the older ones had smaller hinge pins than the newer ones. I have looked every place I can think of and can’t find anything about it. I would like to get a new upper in 204 but don’t know if it will fit OK.

I’m sure someone on this forum knows if there is a difference.

Thanks
Neil

Some Colts use a large hole upper receiver (the front takedown pin is a larger diameter than the rear, some of the Colts also use .170 diameter trigger pins rather than the industry standard .154 pins. Your Colt is probably somewhat desireable, is it an SP 1 ?

Well I can’t look at my Colt AR because I’m in Arizona for the winter. I have been getting the bug for 204 or 20 Tactical and really like the AR platform. I see some really nice looking weapons on here and was thinking of maybe using my old Colt but I don’t want to mess up its collectability. If I just can’t hold down this burning desire for another gun, I may have to just get a complete AR. I am here in Yuma and I haven’t been able to find where I can touchy/feely one to see how I like the feel. I will keep looking.
I really like the idea of an 18” barrel, if it isn’t too loud, collapsible stock, floating barrel, timney trigger and a good scope.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Neil

Back