Harrell's Precision Custom 90 Culver Measure

cornstalker

I have read reviews that claim this measure will throw extruded powder so accurately that trickle charging is not necessary.

Anyone have first hand experience with one?

I can't see how any measure could throw stick powder consistently. How could it ever get the granules to stack the same from one charge to the next?

I have that Harrell's powder measure, and none of the long grain stick powders will thro accurately out of it. It's strictly a thro lite, trickle up prposition with them.
You nailed it in your last paragraph.

i use one and stick powders in any drop can be tricky. Use the same technique each time. I alway bump mine at the top after i drop a load. i always trickle the last few tenths. just me though.

i switched to lymans dispenser-scale combo when i load a lot of rounds, works real well.

Originally Posted By: cornstalkerI can't see how any measure could throw stick powder consistently. How could it ever get the granules to stack the same from one charge to the next?

You nailed it, they don't.

My RCBS ChargeMaster does better than volume measures but I still trickle the charge to weight on the balance beam. The Culver style measures work well with ball powders, but then nearly all measures work well with ball powders. The big feature on the Culver style ones is the "click" adjustment for bench rest folks who use powders that work well in it.

Fitch

before i ordered mine (1998?) i asked around at various suppliers and every single one of them said the same thing....extruded powders will be cut....i hav found that hodgdon short cut cut powders aren't that bad but i still have to trickle...no one said anything diff.

Back