110 vmax 270 wsm for deer?

Jacob_Hanan

Has anybody had any experiance with this bullet? Would you think that it would be a good deer bullet? What kind of speed are you getting out of it?

I have used a 243, 6mm, 2506 for a long time and always shot 100 grain bullets with good results. So I was thinking that it would be plenty big enough for my hunting situation.

Any info would be great, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Jacob_HananHas anybody had any experiance with this bullet? Would you think that it would be a good deer bullet? What kind of speed are you getting out of it?

I have used a 243, 6mm, 2506 for a long time and always shot 100 grain bullets with good results. So I was thinking that it would be plenty big enough for my hunting situation.

Any info would be great, thanks!

The VMax bullets are meant to fragment so I wouldn't be using that bullet on a deer, IMO better suited for Varmints. Much better bullet choices for deer exist, look at the Nosler 140gr Accubond and H4831SC for the 270WSM. I called Nosler and they recommended a starting load of 58.5gr and that was also their most accurate load. If I rememeber 2941fps at 58.5gr.

130 grain is the lightest bullet I would use on Deer sized game. I like the 150 grain Sierra GameKing for Deer/Elk and Hogs. 130 and 140 grain bullets also work well but they should be Game bullets not Varmint bullets.

I would not use VMax bullets for Deer although they may work.
Pick a GameKing, Coreloct, Partitian, Accubond, or BallisticTip (not the ones for Varmints)

I believe 110 grain bullets in a .270 is too light. A friend shot a Deer several years ago with a 120 grain bullet in a 7mm08. Hit it twice right in the lung area and the Deer did not go down until I put a 150 grain Sierra GameKing in the same spot from my .270. He went right down when I hit him.

Personally I wouldn't even think about it. That bullet wasn't designed for deer sized game. Not to say it may not kill a deer, but I wouldn't trust it. There are way too many better options available.

The 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and the 140 grain Accubonds have worked great for me and a couple friends. I have a load for the 130 BTs that has shot sub moa in 4 different rifles. The same load slightly adjusted works well with the 140 grain Accubonds, but has not proven its self in so many rifles.

I would agree with you 100% I used to have a 270WSM in the weatherby sub moa and it shot the 110gr Barnes very very well. I would not even think about a vmax when the barnes has a great bullet. Give it a look and a shot and I think you will love it. HAPPY HUNTING

lots of people think that the Berger VLD is top shelf when it come to accurate long range killing performance,have you seen the company,s video on bullet impact?? dramatic expansion on impact ......not in the ground 75 yards on the far side of the game..... train hard know your own limitations and hunt within them

110g Barnes Tripple shock X blue tip bullet is wicked on deer. I shot a hot load of Win 760 at 3350 fps, with 1/2" groups, jump bullets .050.

I would have to agree that the 110 TSX is the lightest good deer projectile you could push through a 270 WSM.

Hornady made some 110gr SP that would also work.

I'd stay away from the v-maxes......

Back