Ruger SR-556 (Ar15)

I have one and really like it. It does not have any different barrel offerings from Ruger but the gun shop I bought it from made sure the upper was interchangeable with other standard AR platforms. SO you could get a set of different uppers for it. I really like the gas piston system. You can adjust the gas level from 0-3. 0 is for single shot, 1-3 is for varying ammunition power. It comes with all the goodies, quad rail with removable covers, flip up adjustable sight, AR trigger (could really use a timney or jewell), adjustable stock, Chromed barrel and gas piston system. 3-magpull 30rd mags, soft tactical case. After I bought mine, I have heard them being as low as $1200. I paid 1750 for mine but the next piston gun the shop had was a SIG and it was $2600 for a similar package. As far as performance is concerned, I have about 300 rds through and not a single hiccup. Overall a great gun so far.

Sureshot, you probably won't see the price come down too much compared with other ARs. The main reason is due to the gas piston in it. Most others don't use the gas piston and that will always add about $300-500 onto an AR. I really like all the extras on the Ruger except I would take a better trigger over the gas piston any day!!

Looked at a Ruger today vs a Rock River Entry Tactical. The Ruger was $1296 and the Rock River was $1096. $200 difference wasn't all that bad I thought. This was a dealer that supplies firearms for law enforcement and he strongly recommended the Rock River over the Ruger. When pressed, he never really did tell me why though. Overall, I was impressed with the Ruger.

Originally Posted By: Chuck RichardsI have one and really like it. It does not have any different barrel offerings from Ruger but the gun shop I bought it from made sure the upper was interchangeable with other standard AR platforms. SO you could get a set of different uppers for it. I really like the gas piston system. You can adjust the gas level from 0-3. 0 is for single shot, 1-3 is for varying ammunition power. It comes with all the goodies, quad rail with removable covers, flip up adjustable sight, AR trigger (could really use a timney or jewell), adjustable stock, Chromed barrel and gas piston system. 3-magpull 30rd mags, soft tactical case. After I bought mine, I have heard them being as low as $1200. I paid 1750 for mine but the next piston gun the shop had was a SIG and it was $2600 for a similar package. As far as performance is concerned, I have about 300 rds through and not a single hiccup. Overall a great gun so far.

Actually, the different settings are for different applications. The gas piston system Ruger has developed supposed to be self-adjusting, and eliminates the problems found in other gas piston systems with varying ammo. The settings include: Single shot, Standard, Silencer use, and the FUBAR setting.

The single shot setting allows your AR to function similar to a bolt action style weapon.

The standard setting is just that, standard operation.

The silencer setting is optimized for use with a silencer.

And lastly the "FUBAR" setting. This is the setting that will allow the gun to run no matter what dirt or grime is packed into your gun. It is not recommended for long-term use, but if the gun absolutely, positively has to run, this is the setting.

I know there are a few more members on here with SR's and I'm sure they'll chime in soon enough. The only reason I know the specs on them is because of my extensive search for the perfect AR for a friend.

Last edited:
Got one, really like it. Have only a few hundred rounds through it, mostly ran with an aac can and cheap fmj ammo. Really nice for a factory setup, so far so good. Threw a cheap scope on it and was banging steel out to 600yards the other day. Have yet to get some good ammo and see how groups go, other than with open sights out to 300yds.....seemed prettymuch on par with all the other ar's I've had.

Accuracy was decent with PMC and Fiocci ammo. I do not have enough time with it to really give an accurate representation. At 100yds with open sights and zero adjustments first shot knocked out the X. It would group 4-5" on average but that was the shooter and lack of glass on the weapon. I read another review that had it grouping .6 inches at 100yds with a good scope. I got mine for rapid fire home defense. Do not want to put the $$ into optics for this one. Got the bolts to really reach out and touch something. I may put an ACOG on it later but don't have the $$ right now.

Back