204 Ruger and 45 gr SP

nitis

New guy here

I bought a used 204 ruger model 700 sps sporter weight 24" barrel.

The guy that I bought it off of always shot 40 gr vamx with 27.5 gr of varget in all of his 204s

I want to try some 45 gr softpoints anyone used them and what worked for you?

I really only have varget to work with but can get something else if needed.

I have been playing with them in my cz, they shoot bout an inch. Still tweaking them, but wanted to try them on some yotes. I havent had any yotes give me any complaints, as they all have been dead.

It has the standard 1-12 twist but teh 40 gr bullet actuall appears to be as long or longer of course that could be mostly tip!

The 40 and 45 gr bullets are better suited in a 223.
Once you have played with the heavy bullets, give the lighter ones a try.
I think you will like the 30 something grainer's better.
I've never heard a complaint from the cats and dogs I've shot with the 32 gr bullets.

The 40gr vmax,39gr sierras, and 40gr noslers as well as all the lighter 26,32,and 35gr all shoot really well in my #1 the 45gr keyhole though at near max load velocities, I have not tried reducing the velocity past the mid range load though. P.M. me and I'll send you some.

I would have gotten a 223 or 22.250 if when I was out for a coyote rifle I had not gotten such a good deal on this 204 so that is why I am leaning towrds the heavier bullet

I may pick up some 35s to try out also I just hate to buy so may bullets and watch them collect dust if I cant shoot them

The 35 grainers seem to shoot well in a bunch of rifles, including mine. You just never know what a gun will like tell you try, part of the fun I guess.

Originally Posted By: nitisI would have gotten a 223 or 22.250 if when I was out for a coyote rifle I had not gotten such a good deal on this 204 so that is why I am leaning towrds the heavier bullet

I may pick up some 35s to try out also I just hate to buy so may bullets and watch them collect dust if I cant shoot them

There is nothing wrong with that .204 for varmints. I love mine, it's a great shooting little rifle. I've only got one Coyote with mine but he went straight down one shot. I shoot the 40 gr. Vmax with 25 grains of Benchmark and they shoot perfect for me.

Originally Posted By: Dogslayer24Originally Posted By: nitisI would have gotten a 223 or 22.250 if when I was out for a coyote rifle I had not gotten such a good deal on this 204 so that is why I am leaning towrds the heavier bullet

There is nothing wrong with that .204 for varmints. I love mine, it's a great shooting little rifle. I've only got one Coyote with mine but he went straight down one shot. I shoot the 40 gr. Vmax with 25 grains of Benchmark and they shoot perfect for me.

What model of the .204 ruger are you using?

Originally Posted By: nitisits a regular 700 sps 24" sporterweight It has an older BDL stock that has been glass bedded

Thanks Nitis, I'm in the market so this is helpful.

I dont like heavy guns and if this had not been such a sweet deal I may have passed for one with a synthetic stock. There are a few ADL on GUnbroker for a a reasonable price right now.

I paid 350 but the guy owed me since I got him a sweet deal on a sendero

I've posted these before, so here it is again.
These are the loads I use in both of my Savage 12's.
One is a VLP and the other is a BTVSS. As always START 5 to 10% below and work your way up.
35 bergers, 25.5 gr of RL-10X and 26.8 gr of benchmark
40 bergers and 40 V-max, 24.5 gr RL-10X and 25.5 gr of H-4895
39 sierra BK and 40 gr Nosler , 25 gr RL-10X and 27.5 gr of H-4895
32 V-max and 32 gr nosler, 26 gr RL-10X and 27 gr H-322 and Benchmark
26 gr varmint grenade, 26.3 gr RL-10X, and 23.3 gr H-4198
45 gr hornady sp, 24.3 gr RL 10X
38 gr wildcats, 25.2 gr RL-10X, 25.3 ramshot X-term, 26.1 benchmark
My loads are near but not quite at MAX.
I've used horndy, winchester and remington brass. Hornady was horrible for reloading. Remington was not to bad. The winchester was the best one. Nosler would be better but don't have it out here in Alberta for the 204. I only use the magnum/ bench rest type primers. They have a "thicker cup" as compared to the regular small rifle primers.
For accuracy, RL-10X has a slight edge over benchmark, but does foul the barrel quicker.
I use "redding competition dies" and I only "neck size" until I feel slight resistance in the bolt. Then I use the body sizing die to bump the shoulder back, trim, and neck size, This extends the life of my brass.
The brass I have that has had 9 firings (winchester) will be annealed before I reload those again. Factory barrels are 12 twist. For most barrels the 12 twist is just on the edge for stabilizing 40 gr ballistic tip bullets. Some do , some don't. Bullet stabilization has more to do with length than weight. The 45 gr hornady sp has a SHORTER overall length as compared to the 40 gr V-max which means that most factory barrels will stabilize the 45 gr sp. As for the 26 gr varmint grenade. This lead free bullet is fairly long for it's weight therefore it also will do quite well in most factory tubes. They have a lousy BC (like a styrofoam cup) and at 200 yds, the 39 gr BK catches up to it and royally kicks its butt in trajectory, wind drift, and energy. They are awesome out to about 250 yds and then they just run out of steam. Here is a photo I took of some 20 cal bullets for camparing lengths.

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=201&page=3

I now have another 204, grey laminate, stainless, in a T3 lite. This one will be my main calling yote rifle and will be fed a diet of 38 gr wildcats and 35 & 40 gr bergers and 45 gr sp's. So far it has been just as accurate as my heavy barrel savages.
Try a box of factory 45's and your barrel will let you know if it likes them or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nitiswell I loaded the 45s at 4 different loadings 1 grain apart so we will see what happens!

One grain apart is quite a large spread. A small case like the 204 can experience dangerously high pressure problems from as little as .2 or .3 grains of an increase.
To stay in a safe zone, I go up .2 grains at a time when I get to the upper end of max listings.
I don't mean to "harp", but just want your eyes and fingers to stay in one piece. Let me know how you made out. I also have some testing to do with the 45 gr sp's today with my T3 out to 400 yds. I have my own range at home where I can shoot out to 700 yds.

One full grain apart is really pushing the safety factor for the .204....

When I'm working up loads, I will start one full grain under the powder manufacturers max load and increase in 2/10gr increments and usually find my most accurate load somewhere in the 4/10-7/10 grain area...

As qube 204 pointed out.... better to be keeping your extremities than pushing the envelope...The .204 is a great round, but really finicky....

Well according to the recipe book I was using all loads I used are within the specs! I basically started at or near teh bottom and worked up to the top I may not shoot the upper end ones but from what I saw I should be more than safe.

Yeah .2 grs would be a good way to work but I need to see if these bullets will even shoot out of my gun since some believe they are too heavy for the twist of my barrel.

Now when I find out if they shoot I will break it down farther!

Hello guys! New to forum and reloading as well. I have a 221 fireball LVSF rebarreled to 204 w/ krieger 1-10 twist 26" bbl. wanting to try some berger 50's!

Last edited:
Back