Optics for a 22-250

South Paw Shooter

Hey guys I'm thinking of changing optics on my savage. I have a Loupold 6.5-20x40 long range w/Varmint Ret. The problem I'm having is towards the end of the day in low light you realy cant see that well and there is still plenty of time to call.And I really don't want to spend an arm and leg for a scope any suggestions.

you only live once buddy bite the bullet one time and be done you know what i would put on top of it. zeiss or swaroski but they are pricey.

SPS, r u having a hard time seeing the reticle in low light @ 6.5x? I have a 4.5-14x Leup. with VH reticle on a coyote rig that's about the perfect balance of close-range and long-range optic.

Look at a scope with a larger objective 50mm or even 56mm. This will help gather more light into the scope and give you a little more time to see in the evenings.

blacksheep

Originally Posted By: South Paw ShooterHey guys I'm thinking of changing optics on my savage. I have a Loupold 6.5-20x40 long range w/Varmint Ret. The problem I'm having is towards the end of the day in low light you realy cant see that well and there is still plenty of time to call.And I really don't want to spend an arm and leg for a scope any suggestions.

Yep, that's the dilemma of having a scope like the 6.5-20x on a hunting rifle. They are great at mid-day, but, near dusk, they don't get the job done.
As mentioned, great optics is THE anser. I've switched over to all fixed, 3x, 4x and 6x scopes, of high quality. Zeiss, Swarovski, and Schmidt and Bender are the scopes to consider. I have all of those makes on rifles now, and I'm very happy I made the switch, which incidentally, wasn't that many years ago, maybe 8 years. I had used scopes like you're using, only to realize that they just can't get the job done in low light.
I think that saving money for an extra few months and buying a high end scope is better than rushing into buying a scope that ultimately, you won't be satisfied having.

YMMV,

Martyn

Ya I looked through deerhunterjj's Ziess and it is pretty nice and every bit as clear during the day as my Loupold. He has a RAPID Z800 I am really considering getting one.If I can afford it or find one on here in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I have 2 leupold 6X18's with the long range varmint and fine duplex,one a 220 swift and other on a 243AI and have never had a hard time seeing in low light conditions
confused.gif

You are using too much power for your needs, even a cheaper 3x9 will pull more light at 3x than a better scope at 6.5, if you are not shooting at long range most of the time why use 6.5x20,. Just from exp. ed

South paw i wonder if you dont have a lens thats cloudy or a problem in the scope. Might have to send it in and have leupold take a look. I know the other day there was tons of light out still 45 min before dark and you said you could not see. Theres a problem with that scope bud. i can still use my zeiss well after dusk same with my swaroski. now my leupold vx 111 dont gather as much but i think it gathers more then yours and yours is a 30mm tube

Originally Posted By: deerhunterjjSouth paw i wonder if you dont have a lens thats cloudy or a problem in the scope. Might have to send it in and have leupold take a look.

This sounds like very sound advice. And probably true. You do have one of the better Leupolds already. I have the same scope on my AR, and one with the larger OL on a different rifle. There really is not a big difference. I also have the Zeiss 6.5X20X50 and it is also comparable to the Leupold that you have. The real difference in the scopes is splitting hairs, and maybe one or two more minutes of ambient light.

You will need to go to a considerably more expensive scope to increase your low light capabilties above what you have right now. Try refocusing the scope(rear adjustment), or take the above advice.

I have seen some good closeouts on the Swarovski A-Line 6X18 scope. Now that would be an improvement. Tom.

i use a leupold vx3 6.5x20x50 with a vh reticle on my 22-250. i have shot my gun out to 500 yds and the reticle has to be on 14 power for the reticle lines to be right. however when it gets low light i am not gonna shoot that far out so i zeroed at 200 and turn the power down as it gets darker. i have had a zeiss in the same power and it is no better that the leupold. turn the magnification down in low light, just my .02

I have a Ziess Z600 and Leupold varmint reticle....
Zeiss hands down for clarity, did not realize until had both on bench at the same time shooting.
Well worth th $$

PS. I have several friends that bought the cheapo scopes and very please with and accurate.

Personnal preference :)

fyrewil agree 100% i have a leupold vx 111 and after useing the zeiss and swaroski when i use the rifle with the leupold i have to take a second look. the zeiss and swaro are just so much clearer and draw in low light so much better.

Back