Anybody here use dog for Coyotes?

Dasher

Anyone here tried or use decoy dogs or dogging dogs other than the guys on the hounds forum for coyotes? It is quite fun and somthing differant.

Two reasons I ask is: one, Why not more guys doing this?

Then # two is that if you have ever thought about it there are some great dogs offered here on PM.

We just listed two Brindle Mountain cur pups in the classifieds. Thanks for looking and also answering my questions, D

Adogs3.jpg

Adogs4.jpg

I use a small Australian Shepard, I get her to bark and then I start to use a howler-bark call. This is deadly. I keep her very close, coyotes will kill her in a heart beet.The coyotes lock on her and come in very fast.

Originally Posted By: TA17rem After that you will have more coyotes run off when a dog is spotted.

Not true , i use a dog year round ( cattahoula cur mix) and it seems to have just the opposite effect , they might hold up when the dog is spotted but i cant say i have ever had one run away because of the dog , When they hold up , it just makes them easier to shoot .
where did you get that information TA ?
I know alot of guys that use dogs and i have never heard of a dog running off a coyote by them just seeing it unless its on a ranch that uses catch and kill dogs .

This is what I'm looking for is to here your experience and see why more people do not get into this kind of hunting. Thanks for your responses. D

I'd like to do it, it's actually what got me interested in coyote hunting after seeing a fella with a running walker one day. The only problem I have though is I don't know how to train them or know anyone who does.

Lots of people here training their first decoy dog. There is tons of info on this site about it, check it out. Here is my pup from Dashers litter last year.

100_1217.jpg

Originally Posted By: jerry malbeckOriginally Posted By: TA17rem After that you will have more coyotes run off when a dog is spotted.

Not true , i use a dog year round ( cattahoula cur mix) and it seems to have just the opposite effect , they might hold up when the dog is spotted but i cant say i have ever had one run away because of the dog , When they hold up , it just makes them easier to shoot .
where did you get that information TA ?
I know alot of guys that use dogs and i have never heard of a dog running off a coyote by them just seeing it unless its on a ranch that uses catch and kill dogs .

My dog goes on every stand, no matter what time of year. His has dramatically increased the number of doubles & triples we get, not to mention the recovery of coyotes.

I hesitate to call Buster a "decoy" or a "tolling" dog. He fits every facet of our hunting, so he's just Buster the coyote dog.

barb3.jpg

barbcat.jpg

bustersb.jpg

fenceyote.jpg

If you start them out right, let them know what you expect of them, then let them enjoy themselves, you will have a companion on your stands that beats any partner you could come up with.
Be careful and mindful of the dogs' safety while hunting. When they are paired up, or you have a bobcat in the stand, you have to be watchful.

One great use for a dog is to send them out when you call a double or triple after you get the first one on the ground....then get on the KiYi. The others will often come back to the stand or at least circle to see what's up witha dog 'hurting' their buddy, thus affording you a shot, resulting in WAY more doubles or even triples.

yotesbuster.jpg

Barry

rockinbar you mention you really have to watch when there is a bobcat on stand. what kind of damage would a bobcat do? does your dog chase/catch them? or are you describing dog use with follow ups?

[/quote]
When i'm out calling when fur is prime i don't want anything that could hurt my chances of killing coyotes and haveing a dog along on stand is one of those things..[/quote]

I have got more coyotes since I have had my dogs. I have had one run off after my dog chased it and one hang up at about 300 yards. But they do catch a cripple that I have made a poor shot on, ones that I would not have recovered or caught up to if they wouldnt have been there. The ADC guys I know around here do use there dogs year round as do I.

Quote:After that you will have more coyotes run off when a dog is spotted.

I kindly disagree with that statement. I feared the same thing, until I actually tried it. I've put 170+ coyotes in front of my dog Gunner and only have had one coyote flare from it. This time of year, most want to just get around the dog and get to the rabbit.

Anyone who has called with me this season, knows the power of using a dog. Gunner has put more coyotes in the laps of the person shooting, than calling without a dog. Recovery work is second to none. Handling multiple coyotes, two up to seven, has been way, way easier.

Dasher, You know one of those females would be sitting on my stands with Gunner and I, if I could figure out how to get her here.

Tony

From the sounds of it, you better get a dog TA. A dog could boost your numbers and would be a good companion for you. Heck, he might even grow to like you.
grin.gif

Honestly I'd love to try a dog on stand with me. The dog I currently have, I should say inherited when my son moved, is more like the size of a horse (eats and craps like one too). He is a good dog, but he would be a pain to try and call with. A guy needs to start with a young one to work with and mold into something useful for calling.

Originally Posted By: emeraldterriers1rockinbar you mention you really have to watch when there is a bobcat on stand. what kind of damage would a bobcat do? does your dog chase/catch them? or are you describing dog use with follow ups?

Last year I made a bad shot on a cat. Buster is trained to run down a coyote that leaves the stand wounded, so he thought he could do the same with a cat.
wink.gif

Luckily he minds voice commands very well, and about 5 yards from the cat, he peeled off and came back to me. I don't know what a cat could do to a dog, & don't want to find out. I've seen housecats put some 'bad' dogs to flight before, so I don't want him tangling with a live bobcat.

I don't mind if he goes in on a coyote that's wounded, but a cat may be too much. Coyotes, not so much so.

buster2-2.jpg

Tim, you are right. Buster really hurts our numbers....LOL.

bruce.jpg

Barry

Yrs ago we used small groups of sighthounds[Greyhounds & stags] on coyote. Coyote, as in a pr or a single. I believe a coyote knows when to run & when not to in a dog fight or a potential dog/coyote fight. You know, the ability to quickly size up their quarry or foe.

All but one of those coyotes[which were many over the yrs]. Ran away from the dogs. The one coyote that did intially, then decided to turn, catch & kick the dogs rump. Was when a 85 lb tough lone male Greyhound was dumped on a lone 47 lb female coyote.

That chase/catch & fight. Started out with the coyote fleeing. After the dog caught her & fought. Apparently that female coyote realized, she could whip this dog alone.

She did exactly that, after intially breaking free the 1st fight. Second time she was caught, that dog had heck to pay. Dog soon realized this & bolted away from her twice. She ran him down twice & kicked his rump good, both times.

I ended up killing her in the next mile section with my shotgun. After she had kicked yet another tough male greyhound's rump. At the beginning of the next mile section, from the previous dog/coyote fight. Tough old girl she was & mighty large.

Kirby , your talking about a dog that is showing aggresion SP? I.E. running after the coyotes , in that case yes i can see why a coyote would bug out , my dog does just the opposite he either sits there or runs from them right to me . works like a charm . That was why in my first post i mentioned a ranch that uses chase and catch dogs . we have one here close to town and those coyotes know a dog is BAD news. Its how the dog is trained and used that would make the diff. jerry .

tim i'm sure some adc's dont use them all the time but the ones i know and work with that use dogs, use them on dang near every stand, i havent had but a few over the years run off before they gave me a shot and i have had the dogs work coyotes in down wind of me and give me a shot that i wouldnt have got without the dogs, in my job if they didnt help i wouldnt use them, and tim before you tell me i need to go find a govt trapper and learn something again like the last time, i am one. i know some adc's that dont use a dog at all, some all the time, its what fits your style that you use, by the way tim i would think you would try anything around your area to up your numbers, ryan

Back