Huskemaw Scope

I can understand both of your points of view.I've no problem with how a guy goes about puttin' meat on the table, as long as he is proficient with his tools of choice.

I think Wyo worries just like I do that the wrong message may be sent to the wrong people. They don't show you the wounding shots or misses on Best of the West..........

Originally Posted By: Ill_CoyoteHow much is this scope?

Huskemaw Scope, LRH 5-20 Rifle Scope ($1,149 + $24 Ship/Insurance)

Originally Posted By: xphunterwyoshooter,
No reason why someone would "hammer you" for asking good questions.
It does require a serious commitment to the task at hand.

Sometimes I hunt with a bow. When I do I like to hunt antelope, spot-n-stalk with an old Pearson Flame. About the furthest thing from LR hunting. Last year I did all of my killing under 250 yards. Some of it was under 65 yards-Used a Freedom Arms 454 Casull. This year I hunted more LR. You may not want to know the distances I killed a buck muley and antelope with specialty handguns.

Point is, I hunt the way I want to hunt, because that is the way I want to hunt. If it is legal and the animal dies quickly, and it brings me enjoyment, plus meat on the table-It is a good thing.
The argument of when hunting ceases to be hunting, can be found in every discipline, as people polarize. Example: You are not a true bow hunter unless you use a longbow, etc., etc.

I think what you are describing is more than just a LR hunting issue. I think it is a humanity issue.

I have watched people with iron sighted 30-30's try things that made me cringe and sickened me.
Some people are going to shoot beyond their ability regardless of what they are hunting with: rifle, handgun, bow, black powder, slingshot, etc.
A term that may be appropriate for that mentality is a "slob hunter."

Now, you are not dealing with a style of hunting, but an attitude toward hunting and game that permeates every form of legal hunting and those that are not.

All points well taken xphunter. I don't think it's wrong, just not my cup of tea. As far as being "hammered" I have to say that typically dosen't happen here. I enjoy this forum so much because most people respect others opinions and it dosen't get personal. I learm alot here. I get on Archery Talk forums and it's a different story there.

Originally Posted By: South Paw ShooterNight force is making them. I talk them a while back about it. I'm thinking about sending a new gun I'm having SAVAGE ARM custom shop make me to them and have one put on a 25-06 they said I'll be good out to 700-800 yds. on deer and coyotes all day long with it if the gun is good and accurate. Another thing is if you buy one you can go to one of there seminars in the summer and they will teach you how to use them. buy one of there rifle's and they knock off $500 for the $1500 2 day class. Not sure if I'm willing to do that though if I spent 4500-6000 dollars on one of there guns the class should be free.

I know this is my first post on the forum (which is a wonderful resource with many very knowledgeable folks for sure)but I just have to call BS on the info that Nightforce are making these scopes.

Having handled & used the NF scopes for several years & having also (however briefly) looked at the Huskemaw product, there is no way, at least IMHO that NF is the manufacturer. The Huskemaw is considerably heavier than the NF product & frankly, I just don't see NF getting into a product that cheap, especially when demand for their scopes is so high. In other words, I can't see them making scopes for other folks that they sell to the other folks for less than their dealer pricing on their own stuff, it just doesn't make sense?

As to other issues, yes, LR hunting can be humanely done but only with many hours of practice. The image that BOTW portrays is that ANYONE can just get one of their scopes & rifles & go killing animals at 900yds. This really upsets me as it is bound to lead to injured animals & a very bad image for all hunters.

I would love to know what caliber the bear shooting was done with because all I have ever seen those guys using has been the 6.5/284 & 7mm Rem Mags, neither of which, again, IMHO, has the required energy at those kind of ranges to reliably provide a 1st round kill which should be the aim of every responsible hunter.

Again, just IMHO, just using drop charts for your load is kinda like believing the Govt fuel consumption figures for your vehicle; a good start but only verified by actual testing. I shoot all my drop charts at ALL the ranges I intend to shoot at in the field. Yes, I am lucky my range is only a mile from work & stretches out to 800 meters but there is simply no excuse for not shooting the load to make sure the drop chart is accurate. If you can't do that, then IMHO, you have no right to be shooting at animals past the ranges you have practiced at, regardless of any whizz bang scope or PDA that says you can.

On my .338 Lapua Mag, I have a Leupold 8.5-25x scope & my drops are marked on blue painters tape wrapped around the dial. Works just fine & I have no need to spend $100 for new turrets if my load changes. Leupold also offer interchangeable dials for their scopes too & without being too cocky, I'll take a name brand like Leupold with a proven history & lifetime warranty over an unknown, unproven (in the long term) brand like Huskemaw. BOTW & their sponsors remind me too much of the late night infomercials.

Great forum & glad to be a very small part of it.

First question is for me is the glass worth 1200? I thought that they were much more than that?

Me personally I would get a leupold built at the custom shop fpr much less money and be just as happy or get a dial from Kenton

+1. I'll put this as plainly as I can. The Huskemaw scope is tuned for 1 load under a single set of environmental factors. Not only does that make it highly unversatile, as soon as environmental factors change, it is useless and you are back to square 1, a turret and a duplex. We are talking changes in temp., altittude, humidity, and barometric pressure.

For those who do not know, changes in barometric pressure, for example, will actually change the B.C. of your bullet. This is what causes you to miss big @ longer ranges. Add to this the fact that manufacturers published BC's are rarely the BC's you will experience under real world conditions, it would be nothing for your fancy Huskemaw scope to be well off target @ 1000yds under various conditions. I recall reading that BC can change up to 30% due to altitude change alone.(I doubt they'll tell you any of this on Worst of the West)

Sorry kids, but the only way to excel at long range shooting is to dial in real world conditions. Under such conditions, the Huskemaw would have no advantage over a number of scopes costing half as much. There is no substitute for real world experience, magical reticles included.......

There are way more 1000 yard rifles than there are 1000 yard shooters, dial or no dial & I'll leave it at that....
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: thegman1763Again, just IMHO, just using drop charts for your load is kinda like believing the Govt fuel consumption figures for your vehicle; a good start but only verified by actual testing. I shoot all my drop charts at ALL the ranges I intend to shoot at in the field. Yes, I am lucky my range is only a mile from work & stretches out to 800 meters but there is simply no excuse for not shooting the load to make sure the drop chart is accurate. If you can't do that, then IMHO, you have no right to be shooting at animals past the ranges you have practiced at, regardless of any whizz bang scope or PDA that says you can.

gman,
First welcome to the forum.
I am new here myself.
IF, you are talking about that BOTW/Huskemaw encourages shooters to only use ballistic software to develop their drop charts/Turret it would incorrect. Their instruction manual and DVD that accompanies the scope goes far beyond any scope company in this manner.
They teach for anyone getting the correct drops for a turret to actually verify the drops at those distances, just as you do. I have only seen two or three of the shows on cable, so I can't comment on the other things.

I typically use EXBAL or Sierra's new software, and I always verify my drops in the field, but Exbal has been pretty close if not spot on most of the time.
I also use VX-3's and Mark 4's Leupold, but only one NF NXS in 8-32 at the moment.

Definitely agree with your last post. Regardless of how good the gun/scope/load combo is, the person operating is paramount.

Ernie

Originally Posted By: thegman1763Originally Posted By: South Paw Shooter

I know this is my first post on the forum (which is a wonderful resource with many very knowledgeable folks for sure)but I just have to call BS on the info that Nightforce are making these scopes.

Having handled & used the NF scopes for several years & having also (however briefly) looked at the Huskemaw product, there is no way, at least IMHO that NF is the manufacturer. The Huskemaw is considerably heavier than the NF product & frankly, I just don't see NF getting into a product that cheap, especially when demand for their scopes is so high. In other words, I can't see them making scopes for other folks that they sell to the other folks for less than their dealer pricing on their own stuff, it just doesn't make sense?

Basically I was just looking for general information from anyone with real life experience with the Huskemaw scope. Since I have never used one first hand.

I have no idea who makes the scope, that is why I asked. But to say that NightForce does not make the scope would be incorrect. But then NightForce does not make anything themselves. They are a trade name that imports their products from another country. So calling NF a mfr. is also wrong.

However I do not find it impossible to believe that an importer---such as NightForce, would import different lines of products that differ in quality to achieve selling "price points".

Again I am not saying that NF is the importer of Huskmaw scopes. I really do not know. But I would not put them up on a high horse as being an optics mfr. Because they are not. They are simply an importer that is importing a very high quality product.

I realize they have a great warranty. However I have held off on buying one because they could close their doors or change their name tomorrow. Since they actually make-nothing. It would be very easy for them to do. And if they did then their product would loose substantial value.............overnight.

That is basically why I stay with the Leupold, Zeiss, and Swarovski. They make most of what they sell. And have been in business for a long. time. Heck NF is basically a new kid on the block. I am an older fellow who has seen a bunch of new kids come and go over the years. However the big companies that actually make what they sell tend to be around a lot longer than "trade name" companies. Heck I can remember the JC Higgins life time warranty. I wonder how many guys here have ever heard of JC Higgins products??

I have a friend who(last year) returned a Leupold scope tht he purchased in 1978. And Leupold fixed his scope with no questions asked. Try that with some of the other mfrs. that offered a lifetime warrant in 1978. Oh that is right---you can't. they are no longer in business. NF scopes are great, no doubt. But as an importer are they going to be here in 30 years to stand behind their lifetime warranty?? I doubt it. Tom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI sent one in from the mid 1960's. Came back a week and a half later fully overhauled with new turret caps on it.....

I am pretty sure you are talking about a Leupold?? They do stand behind their product, don't they?? I just hated it when I saw they started importing some of their scopes and some of their raw materials. Kinda made me sick. Tom.

Twice I see posted that 1/3 moa clicks give more adjustment. That is not
possible. The erector lens size and the tube determine movement. The click
size only determines how fast or slow you can dial in. More to do with mils
or Euro clicks like a swaro.
I would guess these are a chinese scope from trying to research the company.
There is a lot of hype and very little info. I have read several forum threads
that compare the glass to 150.00 scopes. Let somebody else be the guinea
pig. Spend half the amount on a vortex or the same on a lupy and you will
be happier.
If you want US made go with a US Optics.

Hogghead, not going to get in a peeing match here but I believe you are wrong about NF. I have a friend in ID who is a machinist who interviewed with NF a few years ago for a machinist position with them. Be kinda silly to employ a machinist if you didn't machine or manufacture anything now wouldn't it?

I shot an email off to NF on this subject & for some other stuff & we'll see what they say. I've been meaning to make the trip up to Orofino when I shoot the MGM Ironman 3 gun in Parma. Might have to make the trip up there this coming year.

There is no doubt that NF import their glass & some other components & have probably been importing scopes over the years. Please don't assume anything as I remember NF when they were Lightforce & burst on the UK hunting scene over 20 years ago with their spotlights as the main product. Bloody Aussies get everywhere.....

If you paid attention to my posts, you'd see I clearly mentioned exactly what you discuss regarding longevity in the marketplace & how I favored Leupold. Leupold have dropped the ball in the last few years, at least IMHO. They could also make a product that is streets in front of NF but for whatever reason, choose not to.

I also own optics from Swaro, Leupold & other respected optic manufacturers as well as cheapy Simmons & others that I have had no dramas with so I am no NF snob. You obviously have issues regarding NF & the final thing I will point out is that many SF units around the world who can choose whatever scope they want to go with NF. That may be an indicator of their quality or not but calling coyotes or shooting deer has no comparison to trusting your life to a scope.

When & if I hear something from NF, I will report that. Until then, goodwill to all here.

Originally Posted By: thegman1763Hogghead, not going to get in a peeing match here but I believe you are wrong about NF. I have a friend in ID who is a machinist who interviewed with NF a few years ago for a machinist position with them. Be kinda silly to employ a machinist if you didn't machine or manufacture anything now wouldn't it?

By no means did I mean to start an argument. My main point was that NF imports(if not all) the most important part of their scope or scopes. The lenses. And these lenses are only made by a small handful of companies that make lenses worldwide. And these mfrs. make lenses to specifications. As I am sure you already know. And since they are importing this glass, and not making the glass---that makes them a "trade name". Or at least that is my opinion.

Since they do not make these lenses then they will be limited to what warranties they can offer for a product that they truly do not mfr. Or that they may partially mfr---or simply assemble.

And this by no means would limit them from selling a different product that is built to a different spec.

I have talked to a good bit of NF customers. And one of the comments that I have picked up from them is that there have been some different levels of quality in the past(I am sure they are not the only ones). However I have heard that these problems are definitely in the past.

I am not knocking NF. I am strongly considering the purchase of my first one. However I keep getting scared off by their limited production and IMO experience. $1800 is a lot of money for a scope with a lifetime warranty if they are not around in ten years?? Tom.

Here is a link to the company that tells a little on them.

http://www.gaebler.com/OTTO++WY-Huskemaw+Optics,+LLC-SBA-Loan-Information++199759

The fact that Dan Miller , the host of Best of the West resides in Cody as well
tells the tale on why the two are tied together.

Back