Factory fast twist 22-250???

okiecat

Does anybody make a 8" or 9" twist 22-250. Would like a sporter barrel for a carry gun. Looking at factory guns right now.

Tnslim has it right...it's hard to find a stock barrel w/ a 1/9 twist or less. You'll be able to shoot any 55grain bullets and some 60 grainers with a 1/12 twist. My 22-250 does just fine with 55 grainers. I've never tried the 60s, but those I talk to say that they'll shoot but never as accurate as a 55 grainer or less. Seems like my friend gets just under a 2" group at a 100 shooting 60 grainers and can get 3/4" group with lighter bullets. YMMV. Do you need a bullet heavier than 55 grains?

Yes, natesatt. Right now I'm shooting a 22-243 with 80gr bergers. This is deadly on coyotes out to 600 or so yds. But the gun weights 11#. It has a hart #5 1/2. I just didn't want to build another gun right now. This gun also doubles as my unk distant match rifle.

Now I understand where you're coming from. The savage is one of your only options then...or find a good used 22-250 and put an aftermarket barrel on it...or look into semi-custom or custom rifle (but those options are there if you don't have to worry about the $$$ you put into it. Wouldn't be an option for me.).

I don't recall...does T/C encores have a choice in twist on it's barrels? Might be an option. They do have some rebates going at T/C, FWIW.

Last edited:
Don't hold me to it but I believe Tikka offers a fast twist 22-250. If you don't mind me asking , what kind of velocity are you getting with the 22-243 and what powder?

Don't mind at all, around 3400fps is pretty hot. 7828,H-4350, and of course Retumbo. Don't ask which is better. I've spent about a 1000 rds trying to figure that out too!!!

Back