lion tips

huntinaz

Ok, I've located a spot where i found a lion kill near a spot where a lion obviously spends a lot of time. Lots of old and fairly fresh crap around it, and the kill is post velvet rub off(it was a spike), I'm thinking early october. He's on top af a fairly steep hill. I'm thinking of a teo person stand, one person or a foxpro is out in a semi-thick area and doing fawn bleats for 45 minutes or so, and one person with some elevation to see what's going on. We'll approach from the downwind side first light. Any other tips, or anybody in southern AZ want to hit him with dogs? I don't care if I kill him or someone else, as long as he gets put to sleep. Any other tips or interest? Casey this is where you chime in with ideas and your newly acquired foxpro??? Thanls seasoned lion callers...

Could you post some pictures of the Lion " Crap " - just looking for some reference / guide material.

I have a little canyon that I like to hunt and I think there is a rather large Lion in it, I have located some scat, but with my luck it’s just plain old Raccoon droppings???

Thanks

I didn't take any pictures of the turds but I would compare them most to human... bigger than coyote without the seeds and stuff. Also it was in a spot right next to the cliff face that was dug out, something had been laying in there. Process of elimination tells me it's lion; it isn't coyote, or bear, or human, next to cliff beds and a dead deer...gotta be a kitty. I should have looked around more for tracks but I didn't.

huntinAZ,

I like your enthusiasm.

Sent you a PM...

It will be quicker and you'll get more accurate info if I talk to you on the phone.

Finding a lion kill is good - finding a fresh kill is the key. It sounds like this kill is old and most likely abandoned.

However, you are sill in an area that a lion travelled through and most likely will travel through again.

Let's chat,

Mark Healy

Lots of time. They travek huge areas and will make huge loops. The sign is good, but it could be a month until the lion is with in ear shot of teh spot again. It would take a lot of luck to cold call it and have succes. I would think that waiting until there is fresh sign in the area again might be a better bet. A fresher kill, tracks in snow if lucky, etc. I have called 3 smoking set of lion sign and have yet to get one that way. I did however select an area known by me for high lion sign and manage a cold call. Now I still ahve a chance, but spend much more time working on sign.

Back