7.62x39? How fur friendly? Anybody...?

Just curious if anybody uses a 7.62x39 round for coyote hunting?? Never really heard of anybody using, theres probably a reason, lol... And if anybody does how does the fur turn out? Thanks!

AK-47 123gr FMJ, = not good. Coyotes took numerous solid hits. Kept on going. I suggest either SP, or HP bullets.

Last edited:
I saw some.......yes I'm gonna say it......Wolf ammo loaded with I think it was 110 grain V-max. Don't know how effective it is but I keep thinkin about my brother sittin in a bush with his AK waitin for a coyote to show up, LOL.

t/c223encore.

Some of the surplus brand HP bullets frag wonderfully, some not so much. None I tested "mushroomed". I performed some water jug tests with various ammo to capture the bullets and frags. I stocked up on Ulyanovsk m83 124gr HP back when it was $75/1000 for it's fragmenting ability. Haven't shot coyotes yet with it but that's one of my goals this year. Tears up jackrabbits fierce.

I also used an SKS shooting the same FMJ's as my AK around the same time span. This female[below] took one up her exhaust. She hit the deck after getting hit walking on an iced over creek. Then she quickly regained her footing. Et then took two solid hits, broadside in the chest before crumpling.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/colonoscopyfemale.jpg

The SKS no doubt was more accurate, than the AK. AK-47 ran like a Singer Sewer, kinda miss that rifle
smile.gif

Last edited:
I used to shoot only an SKS. Would use the Winchester 123gr softpoints, and when they got hit, they went down. The thing was inaccurate as can be though.

Thanks guys for the input, helps me out and if I ever do bring out the AK for yote hunting I'll bring some softpoints with me. I only use it for mostly plinking around and making some noise, but it does shoot pretty well at 75 yards with open sights and was maybe thinking about putting a scope on it and just try it out and try to get a kill with it, lol...

I had a Interarms mini-mauser in 7.62x39 for awhile. I reloaded Speer 125gr. soft ponts in it. It was about a 1 1/4" gun at 100 yards. I never shot a coyote with it. But I did shoot a couple of small mule deer with it. The dropped like a rock. My plans was to make a 22ppc out of it. But I never did. So I got tired of it, and it went down the road.

I've used the 7.62X39 for coyotes with the CZ 527, an Ishmash Bolt action, and several SKS. Normally use the standard Wolf or Baurnal soft point and hollow point rounds. I kept the Ishmash and use it with a 4X fixed power see-through scope rings mount for some calling where I can't be certain a shotgun will carry far enough (open CRP, sandhill plum thickets and some wooded pasture creek bottoms).
I've had very good luck with the round for coyotes. It doesn't mess a coyote pelt up like V-Max's are prone to do at short range, the round is very accurate in both bolt action rifles, it is inexpensive to shoot, and dependable.
For short range to intermediate range coyote calling, I'd say it is a very good choice.

I've always wanted a bolt gun in 7.62x39. If loaded with good components, I bet it'd be a wicked little round.

I shot my very first coyote with an SKS shooting Wolf hollow points. It left an exit wound the size of a volley ball in the side of that critter.

Only experience I have had shooting a coyote with that round was a DRT at 225 steps. Bullet size enrty and quarter size exit shooting wolf ammunition. My sks is actually pretty accurate and would be more so if I got a diff scope. The coyote I shot is the one in my avatar. Josh

Back