rawlins wyo contest?

cmiddleton

isn't there a big contest in rawlins this weekend?
seems like it was first weekend of November
anyone going?
I'm not a contest type of guy but I'd like to go meet some of the pros if its happening.
might run over there if its happening.

sigh, just another thing that messes things up for us Cmiddleton. Just now getting yotes calmned down from big game people running all over to get hit with another wave going all over. Oh well hopefully next weekend they will be ready to die at the hands of Elks and Knapper.

I know that Dan Thompson had one on the weekend of Oct. 24. I think you are right they usually have nationals here coming up. I have not heard about it this year though. And as mentioned Mike and Chris Davidson are putting the one on in Rock Springs Nov. 7.

No you are right the national was in Rawlins this weekend. They had 46 teams. I have not heard who won, or how many. Norm Heater used to put it on, but Norm has decided to let someone else do it. John and I used to hunt it every year, along with Les Johnson.

ok just got the skinny on the contests this weekend. The Rawlins contest was won with 16 dogs. The state trappers won it. But heard it was a circus with contest in rock springs going on at the same time. A lot of people hunting on top of each other and a little bit of wind to. All this information is 3rd hand, but should be fairly reliable.

wysongdog,

FOXPRO Field Staff member Cenny Burnell and his partner, Rock Buckingham, won the contest with 15 coyotes. On the first day, faced with 40 mph winds, they took 6 coyotes using the Prairie Blaster and CS-24. Here are some photos:

cenny_1.jpg

cenny_2.jpg

cenny_3.jpg

Way to go Cenny and Rock!

Last edited:
How do I become Foxpro Fieldstaff worthy? I am willing to wear one of those Foxpro shirts, really I am serious. I have a FX3. Nice going guys. I wish I could see that many coyotes. I agree with Elks, too many elk hunters still to see any coyotes. I might have to relocate to a honey hole this weekend.

My local fur buyer is from Rawlins. He and his partner took 4th/5th on check in time. He did say the wind was murder both days.

Originally Posted By: wysongdog anyone know total numbers for the contest?

He is putting up the fur on 180 coyotes this week. They all came from the Nationals. He said he threw forty out. I'm not sure if they were included in the 180 or not.

Originally Posted By: wysongdog But heard it was a circus with contest in rock springs going on at the same time. A lot of people hunting on top of each other and a little bit of wind to.

Well that explains it! Man I hate contests... people everywhere, a total circus, people leap frogging and driving through my stands. Couldn't seem to drive far enough to get away from it and all I wanted to do was just shoot some dogs, doesn't take a contest, a trophy, or prize money to get me motivated. Seems like by mid December most of the yotes are either educated or dead. Rant over.

I did manage to scratch out two for the weekend, graze another, and miss a couple more
blush.gif
. The wind was manageable, actually downright good for Wyoming.

Originally Posted By: wysongdogSounds like the Rock Springs contest is becoming a large one. How is that one ran?

Two or three man teams. No dogs, tracked vehicles, drop hunting, etc, or private land unless it is open for all in the contest. Most of the time it is by invite only. They will sometimes let you in if someone that has been going to there contest will put in a good word for you.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaHow do I become Foxpro Fieldstaff worthy? I am willing to wear one of those Foxpro shirts, really I am serious. I have a FX3. Nice going guys. I wish I could see that many coyotes. I agree with Elks, too many elk hunters still to see any coyotes. I might have to relocate to a honey hole this weekend.

Go to fox pros web site. A few weeks ago anyhow there was info about it.

Back