God must love little girls!

Ursus21

My daughter killed her very first deer ever just last Thursday, and tonight she got MR. BUCK! This is a very nice buck for anyone to get let alone a little 12 year old, first year hunter. However, she was given the opportunity and she got'r done. Man, I'm one proud daddy!

CopyofDanielleBigBuckNov2BLarge.jpg

Okay guys here's the story. Last Thursday my daughter and I went out on her first deer hunt. Our intent was to let her get her first deer and it didn't matter much to her if it was a buck or a doe. She had tags for both in her pocket. Long story short that first night we had a very inconsiderate hunter come in on the neighboring property and intentionally bugger off all the deer. Finally he left and a few deer started to come out and then a coyote showed up and chased the deer around. However he actually worked to our advantage in the end and chased two does and a small buck over to us. My daughter passed on the little buck (thank goodness) but made a perfect heart shot on the doe. I was very pleased with her first shot ever at a big game animal.

I had to leave town and didn't get back until late Saturday. Sunday was filled with church obligations so we couldn't hunt again until yesterday evening after work/school. We got to the stand hoping the inconsiderate hunter would be nowhere in sight this time. He never showed up but about 1 minute into the stand here comes Mr. Coyote again. However he didn't stick around long and he was lucky he didn't or it would have been his last day on the planet. I have a mental note to go back and ruin his day as soon as deer season is over. Anyway for the next hour all we saw were does. We actually had 16 of them in sight for about the entire hour.

Eventually a small fork horn came out of the trees and started to walk the fence line on the far edge of the field about 300 yards away. He then left the field and started to move away from us up a hill. Many of the does had done this earlier and I was concerned that perhaps no deer would come close enough for my daughter to shoot. Then as if by magic a group of 7 does to the south of us started working their way north and right in front of us. They were anywhere from 50 to 100 yards out. This is significant as will be explained in a minute. As this was going on a large buck (the one my daughter eventually shot) stepped out of the trees and started to follow the little fork horn. I'm totally going nuts knowing I could easily make the 300 yard shot, but that it was too far for my daughter, but this was her hunt not mine. Then a miracle happened the little buck saw the does in front of us and decided to join them. Soon the big buck turned around and started to follow the small buck 300 yds, 250 yds, 200 yds, 150 yds, 100 yds... until he was only 75 yards away. I was having a complete melt down as I had watched him close the distance through an open field. Yet, my daughter still hadn't shot. I asked her if she was steady on the buck and she said yes. I said then shoot it. She said I can't. I'm like WHAT!!!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T?! She says I don't feel good about it, I think I'm going to throw up. I said well I think you should just shoot it and then you'll feel better. You just have a bad case of buck fever. Settle down a shoot that buck. Our conversation went on like this for nearly 10 minutes with my anxiety going way past redline. The buck had eventually worked his way back out to 100 yards and we were losing light. Finally I pleaded with her to just suck it up and shoot. Still she waited, and waited, and waited. I'm dying and I had just looked down from by binoculars to her, to see if she was going to shoot, when the gun went off. I heard a loud WHAP and knew she hit pay dirt with her hyper accurate little Remington Mountain Rifle chambered in 7mm08. The 140 Bearclaw bullet did it's job admirably and I got to breathe again. Oh and she instantly felt better by the way. In fact, she is still bouncing off the walls this morning as she got ready for school. Me I'm thrilled but I think I aged 20 years waiting for her to shoot last night.

DaniellesBuck.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I'm tired the story will follow tomorrow. I need to go put the head in the freezer and get cleaned up. Heck, I just remembered I haven't even had dinner yet...hmmm for some reason it slipped my mind.
smile.gif

Yep God loves the little ones!

awesome buck tell her congrats. Think we could get a taxidermy fund going for our kids?
wink.gif

Wow Troy that girl is on a ROLL. She is going to have to work hard to top that one.

So tell me.......who was shaking more??? You or her????

Great job buddy and congrats to the young lady. Job well done on both of your parts.

Guy

great story to go with a great deer.
My kids always want to shoot long before I'm ready for them to drives me nuts!

Great story and pics and a great little hunter too. Nice to see that she is doing so well.

PS, are you sure you can spare the 20 years?, lol. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your hunt.

gonzaga

Troy you should be proud without a doubt, God bless you for teaching her right, congrats on her first buck and keeping family time in check! God bless.

Back