What to Do with RRA Varmint

Originally Posted By: spook1I think I would like to try and get a Rock River Coyote Upper after researching from your guys opinions. Where is the best place to get one, and is there anyplace to get one without the BCG? I think mine should work okay with it. I also found the Stag Arms model 3 upper for a pretty good price and was wondering anyone's views on that particular upper. I am just having a hard time finding a Coyote Upper. Keep the feedback coming as I really appreciate it and it is very helpful.

I got mine at ten percent firearms online. They shipped it really fast and had good prices.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16_25_30

They are sold out right now, though. There's a guy on here who sells RRA, he might be able to get you one.

The Stag Model 3 is a chrome lined 16" with a M4 barrel contour and a carbine length gas system with a railed gas block. It comes with standard carbine handguards if you are going to use a quadrail or float tube you will need to remove the gas block and reinstall it after the barrel, barrel nut and rail or tube are installed. BTW the carbine length gas system uses the 7" rail or tube. this configuration with a chrome lined barrel will generally shoot between 1" and 1.5". One of my Franken Guns is configured in this manner and I really like it.

Last edited:
You can lop 6 inches off that barrel for the cheap fix, start talking fluting and machining to any degree and you have to take into account that it might just be cheaper to buy an upper in the configuration that you want. I just traded for one of these and it will not be a calling rifle, but it may get shortened and threaded for a suppressor some day.

Originally Posted By: dogtiredYou can lop 6 inches off that barrel for the cheap fix, start talking fluting and machining to any degree and you have to take into account that it might just be cheaper to buy an upper in the configuration that you want. I just traded for one of these and it will not be a calling rifle, but it may get shortened and threaded for a suppressor some day.

yes. that's the thing when pay'n for machine work it does'nt come cheap. set up time, barrel removal ect. costs $$$$$$.

actually I'm quite surprised there are'nt more mainstream old A1 pencil barrel profiles out there.

Check Adco Firearms, they are in Toledo OH. I am going to have them flute my 20" coyote rifle. The guy I talked to said that with a 20" heavy barrel you can expect to lose a pound. Price for a full length flute is $120 plus $50 for disassembly\disassembly. They have a web site

Sorry for being a little late to the discussion, but I have a RRA 20" Varmint EOP. I say you just hunt with it!
grin.gif

I am definitely going to get something lighter. I would love to have one of the Rock River Coyote uppers, but they seem to be very hard to find. If someone knows of someone that has one they don't need, please let me know. I am up for trading/selling my Varmint upper.

spook 1,
Is your Upper an 18" 20" or 24" ?
Is it the standard FT (flat top) ?
Standard float tube?
M4 ramps in barrel ext and upper receiver?(doesn't matter one way or the other, just curious).

It is the 20" flat top model with an added scope riser. It has the standard float tube, but I am not for sure about the ramps. I am no AR expert, but I am pretty sure it would be however they come from the factory.

So how much will it cost in time and money to shave off a pound by either switching out the upper, or the barell and any number of parts...just to add a pound back in optics, another pound in bipod, and maybe another quarter pound in ammo with a full clip? Add a sling, call it a day and kill stuff.

Back