AVAILABLE Blades... From RainShadow Custom Knives!

Thanks Scott... I really appreciate it... keeps me goin'!

Wolfwoman, real similar to my thoughts, only I was thinking a little more lower left, and the handle would come 'round and connect to the blade too, maybe even in a smooth transition down to the tip, rather than another leg straight down. (There would be a definate tip and definate heel.)

As an Ulu user, tell me how many inches of cutting edge is too little, enough, alot, and too much????

Last edited:
I would say right about 6" of edge is a good medium, though if I have a different handle, less might be ok... no less than 4" though I would think. And probably no more than 7".

More like this? But I still think my handle is too short...

Ulu2.jpg

Last edited:
I do not like this style at all...

6IA.jpg

And I think I'm trying to modify this one a little...

6UMS_6UBA.jpg

And this is what style I currently use...
7HH_7HB_7HC.jpg

DSC06896.jpg

I was thinking like this, only with some subtle finger contours. I like yours though, with only one upright. Might be worth pursuing...

Steve, I see you are still turning out those "works of art".

The modifications to the "3 Fingered Skinner" are really interesting... I know that #1 (which I own
laugh.gif
) really has a great feel and the modified angle of the blade/handle should make it even more so..

I'm financially stuck for a while..but you have created beautiful pieces and there are a couple I will be contacting you about in the not too distant future..

Keep stroking, my friend..

Steve, I don't like my hand being 'trapped' in the hole, that's why I was trying to come up with something that is still similar to the Ulu shape but more able to get a grip on.

I'll try and refine my drawing a bit more today if I have the time. No hurries on this at all, as I said there won't be any extra money til summer again AND by the time you were to make it and get it to me, hunting season will be done here
wink.gif
It just gives more time to get it right!

Ok after much futzing around and erasing, this is what I think I'm looking for.

I don't want the handle to have any edges on the top... was looking for rounded, like an antler beam would be, but I also want it smooth - no bumpies anywhere on it. It also needs to have at least a 5" circumference at mid point, I can't stand a knife with a skinny handle!!

Thoughts?

Ulu001.jpg

Hmmm... how'd I miss posting that one?!?!?

It's gone...

DSC05055.JPG

Love that Coffin handle boot style. This one was purpleheart with hickory pins. Sweet handling.

I'd be happy to make another in a similar style, I really enjoy the coffin handle style.

Let me know...

I thought some of you (One of you in particular) might be interested in seeing how the Ulu turned out!

DSC07113.jpg

It's ATS34 Stainless, the grip is Moose Antler with Leopardwood bolsters. Brass pinned.

I've got more steel!!!

It's an Eskimo design, it came about as a fleshng and skinning blade, but it's been incorporated into lots of chores, including the kitchen!

Back