Ohio - Hunting Coyote from treestand

wilsoncs3980

I was just reading the latest Predator Xtreme magazine and someone wrote in to the editors replying to another hunters letter about hunting from a treestand. This hunter stated it is illegal to hunt coyotes from a treestand in the State of Ohio. I'm almost positive this is absolutely false. I thought maybe something got changed in the law this year and I missed it. I read the hunting regs cover to cover a several times last night and didn't find anything about coyote hunting from a treestand.

I just got my new treestand in the mail yesterday then I read this article later that night. Didn't make me a happy camper. Does anyone know for sure its legal to hunt coyote or fox from a treestand?

I've not seen any NEW law stating that you can't. Best thing to do is call ODNR and/or your local game warden.
If that's true I've been breaking the the law in the past and didn't know it.

key word is furbearer. the state does not consider coyotes to be furbearers, which are illiegal to persue from a tree stand.

Didnt someone I know tell ya to start usin one of them to see more dogs?

i got one last year during deer bow season from my stand. i hope its legal.
confused.gif

I have never heard anything about how it is ileguale to hunt coyotes from a treestand. I have read regulations book also and have never heard of such a thing.

hope this helps

buckshooter

It is LEGAL! Go for it buddy!
I just emailed the ODNR and got the following response:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding coyote hunting in Ohio. I understand there is some confusion as to whether or not it is lawful to hunt coyotes in Ohio from a tree stand. The answer to this question is YES, you CAN hunt coyotes from a tree stand. The section of our regulations on pg. 24 that states that it is illegal to “use or possess climbers, or any other device that can be used for climbing trees while hunting, trapping or perusing fur bearing animals” refers to using spikes on your shoes or other equipment that may be strapped to your feet for the purposing of climbing trees or telephone poles to shake a raccoon out. This does not refer to tree stands. This regulation was created in the early 1980’s when fur prices were high and many sportsmen and women were doing anything they could to get these furs.

Thanks,

Michelle

www.wildohio.com

Let's see - climb a tree with climbing spikes, reach in a hole and grab a big boar coon and yank him out...

Not my idea of fun!!! Or sane for that matter....

Back