black o rings

cmiddleton

i took several open read calls on a extended elk hunt this year.
i had 4 lanyards set up.
the ones i didn't have on my neck that day i left hanging on a tree in camp.
temps were cold in the mornings to hot in the day.
within days i saw the black o rings weather cracking
it got worse they all started breaking
i had my call box so i had lots of green bands
in 25 days i had to replace 8 of the black o rings.
i have also had them breaking just sitting in the china hutch.
i'm going to start asking for green bands when i order my calls or replace them as soon as i get them.
has anyone else ran into this?
i've got 25 yr old calls with the origanal green band.

yea i have gotten some with the little black bands and they have all broken with little use, i have replaced them with sheep bands also, you can also get some thin rubber tubing and cut your own if you need the lower profile

The main 2 basic types of O rings are buna and neoprene. Buna are the ones that get old and brittle before their time, the neoprene last longer.

Dogcatcher is correct. Neoprene ones last longer.

I have a collection of calls that all have rotten o rings on them. I stick to using green castration bands. They aren't much to look at, but they sure last a long time. Plus, I never found a coyote that cared if the green band didn't match the call or not.
grin.gif

Tony

we use to run sheep so i got a ton of them.
thats what i did when i noticed it happening i switched them out.
just wish i'd have seen it before i lost my reed off tyyotes call when that happened i checked all the ones that were exposed to sunlight and most all were cracking.

well that suck's. the guy at grainger said the buna wich i have is the best. glad i seen this was going to order two thousand today. i'll have to look into this more dangit. Rick

called yellerdog he has had problem's with the buna crackinbg we pay 3 cent's for them he said i'll need to get cdm something like that there 13 cent's each. got to do my 8.000 mile oil change tomorrow on my Tundera. i'll go by Graiger find out more. threw the one's i have away.Rick

i'm sure glad i didn't lose anymore reads.most call i have spares and i have some read materials too just hate to have to use them up. i bend break and ding them up fast enough.
i do have to add these rings are NOT any fault of call manufactuers its the o-ring manufacturing material its not sunlight resistant.

Back