Best barrel length for a .223

I like a 24", but the factories don't think its needed any more...w/ today's faster powders e.g. Reloader 7 and 10, Ramshot TAC and XTerminator, or Vihta Vouri N 133 the speed is really up there with 40 gr. bullets... so why not capture it?

So, nothing shorter than 22" for sure...all the factories have them at that length (Browning offers a 20" model but too short there....)

The best length in a Patrol Vehicle is 14" to 16" in my opinion. A 20" barrel hits the dome light and is slower to get into action.

If you are hunting Coyote, Deer etc. in open areas I would say a 20"-24" would be best.

For home defense I am back with the 16"........

What are you gonna do with it?

mine is 27 inches, but built for 80s and the long line. shoots 2-3-600 yards very well. A 20 inch barrel is good enough for the military to shoot out to 600 yards and beyond.

My new R-15 has the 22". I thought I wanted the 18" version of an AR, but I got a deal on the 22". It shoots lights out, suprisingly. My only previous experience with this round was with bolt action rifles. To say I'm pleased with the R-15 accuracy would be a huge understatement.

My RR Varminter has the 20 inch barrel. I prefer it to the 24 because it handles a bit faster for me.

When I choose a barrel length and contour I normally choose for the hunting situation.

If I was strictly looking for performance then I would not choose the 223 cartridge to start with.

I has been my experience that the shorter and stiffer the barrel, the more accurate my rifle shoots. So if accuracy was you main concern then I would go with an 18" or a 20" barrel. Tom.

I personally like longer barrels, as they deliver higher velocity, generally speaking.
However, about two years ago, I found two rifles chambered in 223 that had 20" barrels. Their prices were too good to not buy them. So, I now have them, and both shoot very well. I do like the handiness of short barreled rifles, carrying them, and their balance is superb.

It depends on the rifle and use for me. If you want max velocity then go with a 22-24" barrel. A bolt action with a medium weight 20" barrel is a sweet hunting rig but an AR with a medium weight 18" is my ideal length for hunting. Shooting off the bench I like a heavy 21-22" barrel in the 223. I would try some of your friends rifles and hunt with them and see what you like.
Dave

Originally Posted By: NewLife2626As the topic says is there a certain length that will take full advantage of the cartridge.

What are your uses for it and at what distances typically?
Also, what twist do you intend to get and what bullets do you want to use in it?
I have used from 16"-22"

I,m trying to get rid of my Remington 700 VTR 223 , one of the reasons is the barrel is longer than I want . .. I should have got a Ruger 77mkII in Compact or the standard rifle and shortened the barrel to 18" .. I don,t need extreme speed or extreme range ... I only got this because I thot the 1 in 9 twist would be best .... If anyone wants a good deal on a snow camo painted VTR 223 , let me know ....

Gumboot, Wouldn't it just be cheaper and get the same results to have the barrel cut and crowned at 20"?? I've never understood Remington's reasoning for believing that rifle needed a muzzle brake on it to begin with..

If you just don't like the barrel, that can be switched as well to a more traditional one and even upgraded to a "match" level..

I have a 700 SPS Tactical 20" that shoots great (1/12 twist) and capable of putting 60gr bullets in a little over an inch at 200 yards..The 1/9 twist should be able to do equally as well...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle

I have a 700 SPS Tactical 20" that shoots great (1/12 twist) and capable of putting 60gr bullets in a little over an inch at 200 yards..The 1/9 twist should be able to do equally as well...

I have the same gun in 1:9 twist, it shoots black hills 60 gr. and hand loaded v-max 60 gr. about the same at 200 yds. as you described. I started with 55 gr. but the slightly heavier bullet proved to be more accurate in this rifle.

mnblaster

My patrol AR has an 8 or 10" barrel, can't remember which. Combined with a collapseable stock made for a nice carry rifle. Not exactly what I would want for 1000 yard shots, but I could hit man sized steel out to 300 or so with iron sights.

The problem is is I,m a Ruger / CZ guy ..... I got this sorta under duress and I,ve never really liked it ........ If I keep it I,m going to have to put a 200 dollar side swing safety on it
Blooded223andMilling014.jpg
This is it with a nice dead squirrel that was atempting breaking and entering the cabin ...here it is in the winter .
snowcamo003-1.jpg
I,m holding and aiming it ... I just am not a Remington guy ...

Last edited:
I put a shilen trigger in it , and it is very sweet but the sarfety lever from the Xmark pro trigger wouldn,t work so it doesn,t have a safety .. Which really isn't a handycap as I keep the chamber empty till time to shoot ,or if at a calling stand I just chamber up and keep my finger out of the trigger gaurd .. If I need to reposition myself ect , I lift the bolt handle... When walking out , empty chamber .... Anyway I,ll sell it for 400$ plus 30 bucks Priority mail ...

I have Colt HBar in 24", a R-15 in the shorter 16" carbine
and a Rem 700 tactical in the 20". All .223 and all shoot very well. Other than powder burn rate considerations, the barrel lenght is a matter of preference and intended purpose. But my personal predator hunting preference is to the shorter stiffer barrels.
I just like the carry weight, balance & swing, characteristics of the shorter fatter barrels.
I am sure you can find great shooting rifles of all barrel contures and lengths.

I am going to be mostly varmint and predator hunting but would also want to take it as far as I can. I am torn between the remington sps varmint or the tactical but not to sure about the 1in12 twist on the varmint for farther ranges, I was also thinking about the .308 but not sure about it for smaller game vs price to shoot.

I have an r-15 .223 in 18" this mourning went out calling dogs with no luck but I did manage to get a grouse. Almost took its head off at 110 yrds!! the r-15 in 18" is the most accurate AR I have ever had. I can shoot just over half minute at 100 with it. I like the lighter wieght for packing. .308 is louder if you plan on sitting next to your hunting partner while calling critters (thats the reason I got rid of a armalite ar-10 .308)

Back