Remington 510 targetmaster help

1trkyhntr

Guys,
I have a Remington 510 Targetmaster .22 single shot that my grandfather left me. I have refinished it but the bolt handle is loose where it attaches to the square steel block on the side of the bolt. Do you know how I can tighten it? I'm NOT a gunsmith, so technical terms will go right over my head. If it is a simple fix I'll try it, if not I'll take it to a gunsmith.
Thanks, Mike

I have one from my father, but the handle is good.
Maybe try over at Rimfirecentral.com for an answer.

Blue loctite might be a simple cure if its filling in thread clearance.

H

I have one as well, I traded a scope to my cousin for it. They a great little rifles. I have been wanting to find a good gunsmith to build me a new rifle on my action. I know it would be cheaper to just buy a Kimber, but I want something diffrent.

On to your problem. Is the bolt handle loose on the bolt assembly or is the entire bolt loose in the closed position. I'll get mine out of the safe in the morning and take a look at it.

The bolt handle is loose from the bolt assembly. It attaches to a square steel block that is attached to the bolt assembly.
The bolt assembly itself is tight in the closed position.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

My first rifle was a Rem 510 that I bought in 1949 with money I save from mowing grass, and shoveling snow for about everyone in town. That one went the way of many rifles, but I bought another 10 years ago to replace it.
Most of the bolt handles on these rifles are loose when you get them, or will be after a lot of use.
Don't worry about it, just shoot the rifle and enjoy it. I put a Weaver 2-7x rimfire scope on mine, and love just plinking with it.
One thing to look closely at; and that is the sear acts as a bolt stop, and it can get chewed up over time. If the edge of the sear is nasty, Gunparts.com has replacements. I had to replace the one on my current 510, and I got it from Gunparts.com. The clue here is to NOT pull the bolt back hard when ejecting a spent shell casing. Go easy on that and the sear will last. Now that I usnderstand things better, I view that design as DUMB, but I must live with it.

Have fun with your 510.
Mine has a LONG barrel..
grin.gif

Martyn

Look under the handle root and you will see a small dimple. There is a pin in there, take a small punch, give it a good wack and it will tighten up. Did the same thing to mine. Did you hear the same thing at rimfirecentral?

Originally Posted By: TNyoteboyLook under the handle root and you will see a small dimple. There is a pin in there, take a small punch, give it a good wack and it will tighten up. Did the same thing to mine. Did you hear the same thing at rimfirecentral?

Thanks for the info.
I'll save that for use on my 510.

sorry i know this is an old topic, but the SAME thing is wrong with mine that my Papa gave me, will the loose handle be a problem? also i need to tap and drill mine for a scope will this be alot of money? i may not want to since Papa gave it to me!
GOD BLESS
Luke

Back