243 bullet for coyotes

I've shot several coyotes w/Nosler 100 gr. solid base bullets when deer hunting. They work as well on coyotes as they do on deer. Don't recall pelt damage to be too severe, but we don't save pelts down here so that's not a concern; even winter pelts usually not anything spectacular.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: BaerOriginally Posted By: GC Quote:But we would prefer a REAL coyote gun one day

Could you please define what a "REAL coyote gun" is?

Well, a .204 ruger, or a 22-250, etc... something that is considered a typical predator rifle. Don't get me wrong .243 does the job, I just don't enjoy the pelt damage.

So a 22-250 shooting a 55 grain bullet is easier on pelts than a .243 with a 55 grain bullet? That extra 150 fps. must really be deadly!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MPFDOriginally Posted By: BaerOriginally Posted By: GC Quote:But we would prefer a REAL coyote gun one day

Could you please define what a "REAL coyote gun" is?

Well, a .204 ruger, or a 22-250, etc... something that is considered a typical predator rifle. Don't get me wrong .243 does the job, I just don't enjoy the pelt damage.

So a 22-250 shooting a 55 grain bullet is easier on pelts than a .243 with a 55 grain bullet? That extra 150 fps. must really be deadly!

From my experiences, aye.

Originally Posted By: SoCopredhntrAnyone want to venture what the 105 gr A-Max Hornady would be on a coyote? Reason I ask is I found a quite accurate load with H-4350 for my model 70 243. I know it's intended for long range match shooting, but with the accuracy I found I wouldn't mind using it for hunting either antelope or coyotes.

Although I haven't shot a live coyote, I did do some cadaver shooting (slightly wierd) to see how they would do. I ended up with about a 2.5" hole in it at 200 yards when I shot it in the shoulder. I'll be trying to shoot one this weekend and post how it does on a live one.

My dad would say that the .243 is one [beeep] of a 'ote rifle .....

...... dead is ...... well ....... GOOD!

I have shot'em with just about everything ...... with pelts trading for less than tiddly winks .......

....... what is wrong with DEAD???

And when it comes to pelt damage ..... I have blown them up with .243's, .22-250's and .223's .......

It comes more down to the bullet and where it hits.

But if I need to decide between a "nice looking 'ote" but it's pelt is still nearly worthless .....

................and DEAD ...... give me DEAD!

Three 44s

Last edited:
I am no veteran but a 55gr bullet out of a 22-250 going 3600 and a bullet out of a 243 going over 4000 just a shade bit more than 150FPS. If you are not getting 4000+ with the 55s you are doing something wrong. A 243 will do everything a 250 will just alot better. HAPPY HUNTING

i've setteled on the 243 for a coyote rifle just for that reason "dead coyotes"
only bullet i shoot is the 80 gr psp.
kills all coyotes "dead"
i ain't skinnin a coyote for under 40 bucks and i have not seen that price in a long time.

Originally Posted By: ruger243223I am no veteran but a 55gr bullet out of a 22-250 going 3600 and a bullet out of a 243 going over 4000 just a shade bit more than 150FPS. If you are not getting 4000+ with the 55s you are doing something wrong. A 243 will do everything a 250 will just alot better. HAPPY HUNTING

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=22cal&s=162 ----22-250

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=6mm&s=101 ----.243

You should do a little work with a Crono. Most books are pretty optimistic on there fps.
Nosler seems to be closest. You will have a hard time achieving 4000 fps without alot of
reloading and a 26" barrel.

Last edited:
Im shooting the 55gr b-tips. I tried the 58 and 75 v-max first but this gun likes the b-tips. Going this weekend to try them out. Well let you know how they do.

Originally Posted By: ruger243223I have a chrony and been loading for many yrs and am getting over 4000 with 24in barrels. HAPPY HUNTING

Then I would say you are a Veteran
grin.gif

Well, I've filled Varget till the shell wouldn't hold a primer anymore after about 2 fireings, and the shells were hard to resize on the second time around, and after fired you couldn't read the head stamp on the bottem of the case, in my Rem 700 22" sporter and never seen more then 3900 fps.
Here is a victim of trying to reach 4000 fps. right here. [img:center]http://
SDC10708.jpg
[/img]

I had an engineer at work the other day tell me about hitting 4100 fps with a 58 g. Vmax on 42 grains of Varget.
When I called him out on it, He stated "well thats what the book says." His rifle Choro'd on the Chrony at 3780...
Just cause it printed doesn't mean it goes that fast in your 243. The Hornady book is a classic example of that!
Show me someone that has proof of reaching 4600 fps. with a 223 wssm.

Last edited:
Well, I don't use varget and I have not yet bought any new brass for the 243s and they all have been sized over 7 times and still size and shoot very well. I use H380 and 414 the 380 groups very well and gets a bit more velocity than the 414. I don't use varget much as it doesn't meter very well through my LNL. HAPPY HUNTING

Today, I shot some 55gr bullets behind H414 out of my Tikka and they did not shoot accurately. I tried a box of Federal 80 gr SP which were rated highly on Midways site, and I put 3 touching at 200 yards, so that's what I'll be using.

Back