Huskemaw Scope

HOGGHEAD

Anybody using the Huskemaw 5-20X scope?? I am just interested in some evaluations. I am considering one for a LR deer rifle build. Tom.

I did do a search there, along with a few other forums. I would just like to get all the opinions I can.

I belong to a 1,000 yard club and we have a member who has one, and he said he would let me shoot it at the range. I was wanting some additional opinions. Tom.

If you watch The Best of the West on Outdoor Channel, they really pimp them. Lots of ads for Gunwerks LR-800 Shooting System which uses that scope too. No experience myself but you might find some more info there.

peace.
unloaded

I have heard Huskemaw uses 1/3 moa clicks instead of 1/4 or 1/8. They can put more elevation in their scopes that way. I have never even seen one other than on their web page and TV. I have also heard that Leopold will convert your scope to do the same thing as the Huskemaw.

I watched a guy on the Best of the West last week put one into a bear at 903 yds and the follow up at 925 yds. I couldn't believe it. It ran about 50 yds down the hill got on top of a rock and he finished it off. It wasn't the biggest bear ever but still at that distance, pretty impressive.

I wouldn't mind having one on a .308, and I think they said that they could customize on to whatever round you shoot. For a PRICE I'm sure.

A buddy of mine wrote an article on it over on longrangehunting. I got to look it over some and was impressed with the overall dimensions of it. Seemed to be a bright clear optic when i looked thru it. I watched him shoot the 200-yd. groups out of his pistol with it.

I have to believe someone is making those scopes for them - any ideas? I would think once you have your trajectory table figured out, you can do the same thing with a chart.

I have a Huskemaw scope and it works great. Shooting milk jugs out to 700 yards so far an I haven't shot a gun in 10 years since the military. It is a 1/3 MOA scope and they did that so it would have enough moa to shoot past 1000 yards. You have to shoot your gun and get the speed of your bullet and you need the bullets coeffieincy. Then you go on there web site and put that info into there Ballistic Compensator along with your altitude. Then it will give you a rough est of the moa you need to shoot out to 1000 yard with a 200 zero. You take this info and hit the range. Zero at 200 yards record speed of bullet then go to 300 yards look at print out it will say something like 25 clicks to be dead on at 300. Turn the turret 25 clicks an shoot you may be high or low just record how many click it realy takes and wright it down and record speed of bullet for your 5 shot group you do this every 100 yards that you want to shoot up to 80% of your max range. Then you call them, give them your clicks,average bullet speed,elevation, temperture,humidity, altitude and pressure for the day you shot the gun (best if all done in one day) for every yardage past 200 that you want to shoot

Last edited:
They then put the info in the computer and burn you a turret.
Every turret cost $100. The first one is free. Now no matter where you hunt in the world if you give them the average temp and humidity with the elevation they can burn you a new turret for that location. I sighted in at 2660 altitude having turret built for colorado 8000 feet 40 degress 40% humidity. Let you know after Nov 7 if it was on or not. Hope this helped.

for the money, there are a lot better choices..

building a turret to match your load is easy.

go to http://www.kentonindustries.com/

the different scopes he can do...
http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/picbytype/

Mark can make knobs for a lot of scopes.

Personally I'd get a good scope with target turrets and dial my own dope. that way you are not stuck to one load.... you can dial for all types of altitude, different bullet weights, etc.

I can't stress enough how important practice is. You can't just buy it and expect to do what you see on T.V. !!!

Last edited:
Night force is making them. I talk them a while back about it. I'm thinking about sending a new gun I'm having SAVAGE ARM custom shop make me to them and have one put on a 25-06 they said I'll be good out to 700-800 yds. on deer and coyotes all day long with it if the gun is good and accurate. Another thing is if you buy one you can go to one of there seminars in the summer and they will teach you how to use them. buy one of there rifle's and they knock off $500 for the $1500 2 day class. Not sure if I'm willing to do that though if I spent 4500-6000 dollars on one of there guns the class should be free.

Last edited:
LMAO. What a joke. Buy a dang rangefinder and any quality scope with enough come-ups and a plain old duplex in it and you can do the same thing. I can't believe people get sucked in by this Best of the West crap. Learn how to shoot, then you won't find their magical scopes with their magical reticles costing 1000's of dollars so amazing. I'll have you hittin' schit at 700-800yds in half an hour and only charge you half that, if you'd like.......Laffin'

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunLMAO. What a joke. Buy a dang rangefinder and any quality scope with enough come-ups and a plain old duplex in it and you can do the same thing. I can't believe people get sucked in by this Best of the West crap. Learn how to shoot, then you won't find their magical scopes with their magical reticles costing 1000's of dollars so amazing. I'll have you hittin' schit at 700-800yds in half an hour and only charge you half that, if you'd like.......Laffin'

+1000. Well said, 2MG.

Opinions vary, but since I have used this Huskemaw side by side with S-3 Sightron, NXS's, Mark 4's and the new VX-3's, I have been pretty impressed.
Its horizontal line is very practical for wind and for reticle ranging if technology or atmospheric conditions cause your LRF to not function.
I have had the Kenton's as well. I will be putting it to the test as it will be mounted on a 338AX (338 Lapua Improved) on a center-grip specialty pistol.
Nothing wrong with 1/3MOA adjustment, and it keeps you on your first revolution for close to 1K with one turn of the turret.

Alright. I know I may get hammered for this but this is just my opinion. I have watched the Best of the West many times. I am amazed at how good the Berger bullets kill at the long ranges they shoot at. I am not impressed with shooting game at the ranges they do. I think it sends a message to every "Joe" out there that he can as well. It takes the right equipment and lots of practice, something alot of people won't dedicate themselves to. I am a die hard bowhunter for the most part. I still rifle hunt for big game but not as much as bowhunt for them. To me shooting an animal at 800+ yards isn't hunting, it's shooting. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
wyoshooter,
No reason why someone would "hammer you" for asking good questions.
It does require a serious commitment to the task at hand.

Sometimes I hunt with a bow. When I do I like to hunt antelope, spot-n-stalk with an old Pearson Flame. About the furthest thing from LR hunting. Last year I did all of my killing under 250 yards. Some of it was under 65 yards-Used a Freedom Arms 454 Casull. This year I hunted more LR. You may not want to know the distances I killed a buck muley and antelope with specialty handguns.

Point is, I hunt the way I want to hunt, because that is the way I want to hunt. If it is legal and the animal dies quickly, and it brings me enjoyment, plus meat on the table-It is a good thing.
The argument of when hunting ceases to be hunting, can be found in every discipline, as people polarize. Example: You are not a true bow hunter unless you use a longbow, etc., etc.

I think what you are describing is more than just a LR hunting issue. I think it is a humanity issue.

I have watched people with iron sighted 30-30's try things that made me cringe and sickened me.
Some people are going to shoot beyond their ability regardless of what they are hunting with: rifle, handgun, bow, black powder, slingshot, etc.
A term that may be appropriate for that mentality is a "slob hunter."

Now, you are not dealing with a style of hunting, but an attitude toward hunting and game that permeates every form of legal hunting and those that are not.

Back