AR scope

bkauz

Is anybody using a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5 x 14 on their AR's??

I'm thinking about one for a new RRA Predator Pursuit. This is my first AR.

The LARUE mount is being shipped.

yes a calling gun.
I have a Leupold 3.5 x 10 on another bolt gun. but when im at the range, 10X is not enough for my eyes when punching paper at 200yrds...

really just wondering if this Nikon would be a good fit on an AR?

Personally, I think for a calling scope it's overkill but that's just me. The low side of that scope could make fast close shots difficult. I prefer something like a 2-7 or 2.5-10 on calling rifles. If you must have something bigger, a 3-12 might be worth looking into. Good luck!

Also, great choice in ARs!

Originally Posted By: bkauzIs anybody using a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5 x 14 on their AR's??

I'm thinking about one for a new RRA Predator Pursuit. This is my first AR.

The LARUE mount is being shipped.

I have that scope on my AR and it works real well. Heck I don't even need to take a spotting scope to the range when shooting at 100 Yds Never shot it at Targets at 200 yds. so I can't help you there.

It will do you fine for shooting yotes.

DAB

i have a 4-12 x50 buckmaster...it works great and the 50 mm really helps with light .....and since you have to mount scopes high on AR's already,the big objective doesnt get in the way...

bkauz,
It all depends on your calling terrain and visibility.
I've gone from 3-9 power down to 1.5-4 power on my calling rifle, a RR CAR.
Lots of brush out here and I've only killed one coyote over 100 yards. (~125 yds)
Some of those flatlander boys get 200 and 300 yard shots. I don't even see them at that distance.
I think you may want to consider getting a second LaRue mount and having two scopes set up for that rifle.
I have a 4x16 on my pursuit rifle and can pop prairie dogs out to 300 yards.
Having 2 scope set up for one rifle would make it useful for anything from "in your lap" out to whatever range to are comfortable shooting at.
Just a thought.
Good hunting.
Mark

I just took that same scope (4.5-14 buckmaster)off my R-15. great scope and love the clarity, but just a little too much for my calling needs. I have shots (quick at that)from 3 and 4 yds to usually less than 80. If i could see further i might put it back on. I went back to my 3-9 BDC buckmaster. much better match-up in my opinion. setting both scopes at 4.5 power i still a bigger field of view with the 3-9. Some might dispute that, but i actually took both out side by side and tested it myself. good luck ..!
P.s as a matter of fact the 4.5-14 is in my avater picture.. did'nt last too long!

Last edited:
Here in northern michigan my shots are also in the 20-80yds range and occasionally 100-125yds ...DPMS-flat-top has the nikon 3-9 buckmaster as well.Great glass for the money.imo.Gary

Scopes are all about personal preference. I prefer the less magnified scopes, but one of my hunting partners likes his 4x14 leupold.

I also think it depends on where you plan on hunting, not state/city, but is it open or heavy forest, high desert or midwest cornfields, etc....

I've shot one coyote at 450yds and plenty of others, the majority under 100yds here in AZ.

Good luck to you.

Back