summer sausage

JohnnyPop

25lb lean meat
1/4 bag Heller North Country seasoning
1/4 bag Heller pink cure
2 cup mustard seed
1/2 to 3/4 cup ground pepper

I have used 3% ground milk cow, trimmed ( LEAN ) venison/elk/ bear, or combo of all to make 25 lbs.

Mix meat, seasoning /cure, mustard seed and pepper. After mixing run through grinder.

Stuff into casings, I use 2.5 inch dia. and make them 16 inch long ( fits my smoker better)

Cooking/smoking option #1
**Smoke with applechips in lil chief smoker for 2 pans worth of chips= transfer to oven and cook at 200' F until centers are 160-165 F with meat thermo.
option #2
** Smoky Mtn propane smokehouse ( I love this !! )
Set burner to 250'-265'F, apple chips, and the big secret with this smokehouse= any heavy BEER in the water drip pan.

When beer starts steaming and chips start smoking, put sausage in.
Monitor after an hr or so, check with meat therm. 160'-165'F is done.

Let cool on racks to room temp., peel off casings and wrap in paper towel, put in plasic zip freezer bags. DO NOT FREEZE. Store in fridge.

I use ground milk cow because I can get it at the dairy I used to work at cheap and its very lean.

I make 50 to 100 lb a year, give away most for gifts at christmas.

My family has made this sausage since 1974 and had no complaints yet.

I buy the Heller seasonings/ casings / mustard seed at Market-Supply in Portland, OR. I'm sure they are online. The bags of seasoning ( cure is included ) is 3.25lb for 100 lb of meat, I break down to 25lb batch.

PM me if you can't find supplies, I can help out.

I'll quote my uncle " this is so good that if your momma was reaching for a slice, you'd slap her hand !"

Enjoy
John

sounds fine by me. I've made 3 versions of summer sausage, always comes out great. one of my faves to make
smile.gif

with any luck I may have a chance to try this one soon.

Back