.17 HMR vs .22 Hornet

i don't trap, but i shoot a 17hmr with the CCI 20 grain jacketed soft point (dimpled hollow point) i have used them on squirrels b/c the v-max's mess them up too much. i have shot a raccon with the 20 grain pills, they didn't blow a hole in them but turned the insides to mush.

two completely different calibers- both good- but the hornet delivers more down range (200 yard yote gun). My biologist killed over 50 does last year and another 36 or 40 this year with his hornet, some beyond 100 yards, and one case a 70 yard double- you couldn't do that with a HMR, not even close. GET THIS- he makes $180 per deer as a side job- what luck that is. I am very found of the 17 HMR just a differnt gun with a different purpose.

Rob,

Although I love my little 17HMR and shooting it. It is limited to the size of game on the average it is effective on. Yes I know shot placement is the number one thing but we do not always get perfect shot placement. A lot of coyotes have ran off with a 17 HMR round in them when it should have been immediately disabling. I would take some of the other suggestions. Loading as well as various projectile selection is a consideration.

AR

Back