.17 HMR vs .22 Hornet

Rob in Alaska

I would like to shoot fox and / or lynx with the intention of keeping the best fur with the least amount of sewing. I would like to keep the fur in "premium" shape. Does anyone have first hand experience shooting either a .17 HMR or a .22 Hornet on fox or lynx? The shots would be 125 yards or less. The calibers I already have are too hard on fox. Since a small lynx can be close to the size of a fox, I figured that the calibers would be comparable for these two animals. Remember, it's about their fur. There is always the possiblity if a 3-4 pound marten too, and I don't want to vaporize it either.

Longtime fur handlers advice would be greatly appreciated. All others, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but a "prime" Alaskan red fox or lynx is not something you want to waste.

Just a thought...

It would be interesting to try reducing the load on a 221 fireball. Maybe also try shooting something a little less explosive like a Nosler partitions. I would think those two combined would make a great fur saving cartridge.

ps: it is my understanding that the brass on the 221fb is not as fragile as the hornet.

Last edited:
I have a .17HMR, .22 Hornet, and .17 Remington. My experience with the .17 HMR has not been satisfactory on large ground hogs. So I wouldn't recommend it.

But the .17 caliber has a lot to recommend it in a centerfire cartridge. There are some good bullets available if you reload. A .17 Ackley Hornet, .17 Fireball or .17 Remington should all be fur friendly with the right bullet and leave the animal DRT. The .17AH will frequently only make one tiny hole but it has a lot more thump than the .17 HMR. The benefit of the .17 Fireball and .17 Remington are over the counter ammo availability if you don't reload. Probably the .17 Fireball is the best over the counter cartridge.

If the choice is strictly limited to .17 HMR or Hornet, I'd go with the Hornet.

Fitch

Skip the 17hmr and get a 22mag if you want to go rimfire. Better downrange energy, and cheaper ammo. There is also more variety of bullets.

22 hornet can be loaded down to 22mag velocity if you want. Hornets can be tough to get shooting good groups.

hornets are cool but you absolutely have to take a long look at .221 fireball. Its about the same thing as a hornet just tends to be more accurate with a more modern design.

CCI makes the .17HMR in Full Metal Jacket that i use for trapping. But I am garunteed a good shot. I have a Hornet as well, it would be better for a calling situation.

If you are serious about the fur, take a look at the 17's Fitch mentioned. The 17AH would be perfect for what you are looking to do. It will be a pin prick in and no exit. If you can even find the entrance hole. Great for fox sized critters and no exit. Takes a little $ to get set up with one though. There are Ruger 77/22 Hornets that have been rebarreled to 17AH every so often on Gun Broker. They seem to do much bettter as a 17AH than they do as a regular Hornet and would be a fairly cheap way to get into one.

From a factory standpoint I would look at the 17 Fireball. 22 Hornet would be my choice between it and the 17hmr.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I just went and looked at a .17 Remington at the local box store. I also looked at the brass for it. Don't know if it was mis-marked on the package, but it was over $55 per 100 for Remington brass. A little spendy.

I also had a great conversation with one of our finest and seasoned trapper's here in town. He loves the .17 hmr....has several of them. He also loves the .22 Hornet.....has several of those too. I'm not sure of a gun he doesn't personally have duplicates or triplicates of. Every time I mentioned a caliber, he said "Yep, I've got one of those too. His main rifle he carries on his sled (snow machine for everyone in the Lower 48.....snowmobile for everyone in Minnesota, chuckling and no offense intended) is a .243.

He shoots fox with the .243 using a Nosler partitions. He said "Yea it blows a hole in them, but that is what thread is for. He traps more than he shoots. He reminded me that you never know what you'll run into. Could be a 8-10 lb fox. Could be a lynx, could be a wolverine...says they aren't "that" big here in the Interior, but they get bigger further South where they have access to a greater food base. Then they have the body size to match their attitude! If you're really lucky, you might, and he said I might, run into a wolf. Anyways, he says its not a sin to love all sorts of guns and calibers, but remember what State I live in. If something is hungry, it'll be cautious, but it might not be the smallest critter running around out there."

The furbuyer I talked to the other day here in town doesn't like to buy anything that has a hole in it. Period. He says he hates to sew! He just chuckled and said "You wouldn't believe the condition of some of the animals that guys try and bring in here to sell. Said he just has to tell then "no".

So, I guess I'm back to where I was the other day. I got almost the identical advice on Nosler Partitions from a couple of guys when I posted the original question under the reloading portion of the forum. You were hitting the nail on the head, I just wasn't hearing you. My apologies. I was more concerned with "justifying" another rifle.....that .17 Remington was pretty nice. So was the .22 Hornet. The problem is that I can't carry 3 rifles, a shotgun, a pistol, and a partridge in a pair tree when I'm out and about. I don't do that when I'm big-game or small-game hunting, but this predator sport is new to me, so bear with me....no pun intended.

Thanks again for all of the information

A handloaded Hornet is a dandy predator rifle at reasonable range. A buddy of mine swears by them. He used to shoot a Winchester 22 mag bullet in it. The jacketed hollow point. It was one of the best fur loads I have ever seen. The brass is thinner and loading them takes extra care.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wyoshooterA handloaded Hornet is a dandy predator rifle at reasonable range. A buddy of mine swears by them. He used to shoot a Winchester 22 mag bullet in it.

Any idea where he got the 22mag bullet,, or did he pull em??

Thanks

He got some bad ammo or brass from Winchester and was sent a pile of the .22 mag JHP bullets as a payoff of sorts as I remember. He is into swaging his own bullets out of 22 LR brass now with good results. If I remember correctly he was getting 2800+ fps out of the 22 mag bullets out of the Hornet.

Hey Rob, we use .17 HMRs on fox all the time out here on the AKPEN and other than for some tiny holes on the off-side where fragments exit on ocassion it's fur-friendly. The CCI and Federal loads topped with the 17 gr Speer TNT work best.

The tipped bullets tend to tear up more on entry.

I've never used the 20 gr Gamepoints, so I can't tell you what they'll do to fur.

I'm not sure whether or not I'd want to use it on lynx though. If hit amidships it should be alright and since they are a little thicker than fox the fragments will probably stay inside.

Yesterday, the only .17 HMR ammo I could find was that using 17 grain v-max bullets. There is more of that than there was .22 LR at one particular store.

Last edited:
I have shot a few bobcats, and a lot of foxes with the hornet. I does a good job. Also big anough for coyotes if they are not to far. I have used the 17hmr with less than steller results. It's okay for foxes. but I have lost bobcats, and coyotes shot with it. My pick would be the 17 rem. Which is what I shoot the most of. I have shot a few Marten, but I have used a 22lr, or shotgun on them. The shotgun will do a great job on cats, and foxes also.

Back