What kind of stripped lower?

cornstalker

I am starting to get the AR bug a little. One thing I noticed right away is that there are a bunch of stripped lower mfg's that I have never even heard of before. I don't know how to tell good from bad.

Any recommendations?

I like Stag lowers. They're good quality for the price and seem to have better resale value than most.
There are a bunch of good ones, though.
List the ones you're thinking of here and we'll steer you away from the (few) that have a history of problems.

I have used Essential Arms for one rifle, and have a couple more for spares. They are right around a $100 each, and have great finish, they call it Tuff-Coat, or something like that.

kevlars

Quote:Yankee Hill

ATI
Sabre Defence
CMMG
Smith and Wesson M&P (I think I can trust this one)

None of those would cause you any problems, from everything I've read.

Double Star, Rock River and Anvil Arms make nice lowers, too.
Unless one of them offers some kind of coating that you really like, buy based on cost and you'll be fine.

If you get one with a coating (teflon, etc.), it will look a little funky, unless you also buy a matching upper.
It won't have any effect on function, but the colors won't match.

CMMG is teflon coated, for example.
ATI's online pic sure looks rough, I haven't inspected one personally, so maybe it's just a poor quality picture.
crazy.gif

I'd need to see one before I could recommend it.

I've gone through a few different lowers over the past few years. No real reason, I just couldn't settle on what I wanted in an AR.

I started with an M-4 Stag, traded the upper for a 20", sold it to build a 204 with a DPMS lower. Sold that rifle to build another 223 with a Tactical Innovations lower, sold that complete lower to buy a billet lower from Seekins Precision to put another M-4 together. I assembled a couple Superior lowers for a friend and his boy, and assembled a Rock River for our youngest boy with a lefty upper.

So that makes:

Stag, DPMS, Tactical Innovations, Seekins Precision, Superior and Rock River.

The amazing thing is,,,,, they all had great finishes, matched all of the uppers flawlessly, and the LPKs and buttstocks fit fine.

So I guess what I'm sayin' is, get the one you can at the best price you can get it. Buy a good to great trigger and spend the extra money on optics. I just don't get the "gotta have a Colt or Bushmaster" mentality. The resale is better on those rifles, but you spend more to begin with so the actual percent of resale is all relative, and better sometimes with the "lower quality" lowers.

Spikes Tactical still has their lowers on sale for $90, I've looked at them at a gunshow in Texas and they have a real nice finish and look great with their spider logo..

Originally Posted By: kevlarsI have used Essential Arms for one rifle, and have a couple more for spares. They are right around a $100 each, and have great finish, they call it Tuff-Coat, or something like that.

kevlars

On my build I used an Essential Arms 6.8 SPC lower. Very nice receiver at a good price.

RRA is the only one that is a little different. Their uppers and lowers are
fit a little tighter. Many times they need a good smack to seat them together
the first time. I went with a CMMG on my first build with an RRA upper and
it is loose between the two like all ar's. I still have it and it is fine but subsequently I stay with the same company for the upper and lower. And
don't buy a cast one, stay with forged or billet. There are only a few cast
ones out there.

I have a CMMG because it was $50 cheaper than a DPMS. I've been happy with it. No issues with fitment or finish.

i used a essential upper and lower on my last build and the fit together perfect . you can order them direct from essential arms and they are $100 for the lower and $80 for the upper . i will use them in my next build.
icebox

Originally Posted By: cornstalkerAny recommendations?

Buy 1 of each you are thinking of getting. You'll do it sooner or later anyway.
laugh.gif

During the "craze" I bought a 3 pack of lowers from Essential arms, they seem good quality but I have not built one up yet. I have a Stag and an LRB and both seem about the same also. Rock River has theirs on sale right now too.

Originally Posted By: BBsteelOriginally Posted By: cornstalkerAny recommendations?

Buy 1 of each you are thinking of getting. You'll do it sooner or later anyway.
laugh.gif

Oh so true.

Thanks for the reco's guys. That's the info I was hoping for.

I have a Spikes Tactical sitting in my safe that I haven't done anything with yet.The quality and finish look nice and as mentioned above the spider logo is pretty cool too imo.

I went with DPMS back when they were more of an unknown, so got a good deal on it, finish and fit are all great. I think the CMMG's are just as good not though.

i just used a hughes, talk about tight tollerances on all the pin holes and safety holes, took just a minor amount of fitting, but i am pleased with it.

Back