Wife needs a rifle

RJM Acres

We'll blame this all on Lawdog and his video of his wife out
hunting and shooting a coyote.

My wife thinks she might like to give it a try also.
She's shot before and is a natural even [beeep] her form is odd
to say the least. She's usually just shot my rifles, shotguns,
and handguns. She has her own 10/22, .410 and S&W 34.

She's only about 5ft tall so my rifles just aren't a good fit
for her.

So she's going to need a rifle. Something simple and small.

Right now, I'm thinking a NEF compact Handi-rifle in .223.

Any other suggestions ?

Once we get her a rifle that fits, I'll take her and the rifle
down to a friends and let him teach her right. I can't, I don't have the patience and he's a much better instructor.

Randy

Last edited:
I would get her a CZ 527 i think it is in a 223 or 204, my doughter is 11 and shoots a CZ in the 204 it is perfect size for women and is lite weight.

+1 for what Rez Dog says...Lightweight, Good Shooting and Short-Action. You'll probably start shooting it when she doesn't go.
smile.gif

Glad to hear your wife is interested. Way to go LawDog!

RJM...with her small frame look into a youth rifle setup...most come with a 3x9 scope(bushnell banner seems popular)...savage has one...so does marlin...at walmart for #299 youth model-special order- you can get a marlin XS7 in 243,708,308....just a thought...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PbchuckerGet her an AR with a collapsible stock!!!! That way when she doesn't want to go you use it.

Could get a collapible stock for the mini-14 and then get me a different rifle.

Works for me.

Randy

I think the lighter the weight, and the less recoil it has, the more she'll enjoy it. The single shot, breech loaders are great for beginners. They're also cheap enough that she won't have buyers remorse when you bring it home. You still need to put some decent rings and glass on it and that all adds up quick. Let her help pick it out so she's an important part of it. She'll be that much more anxious to get up at the buttcrack of dawn and endure the cold when she has a vested interest in the entire process. Help her sight it in but don't do it for her. Most of all, when she's had enough for the day, bring her home. The last thing you want is for her to get tired, cold, hungry, or miserable. She'll be able to handle more and more as time goes by. Soon, she'll be askin you when her next hunt is! Good Luck, Tom Austin

Originally Posted By: PbchuckerGet her an AR with a collapsible stock!!!! That way when she doesn't want to go you use it.

I was gonna say the same. You know if you plan this right you could say that you are gettin her a rifle but really you are gettin you a new one that "just happens to work for her"
wink.gif
. LOL. So yeah get the rem. r-15 with collapsable stock and heck go all out and get yourself (i mean ur wife)
wink.gif
wink.gif
the "coyote special" scope by nikon the puppy is freakin awesome.
grin.gif
I mean you know you are goin to use it more than her but if she thinks its her (as she does the others you mentioned)
smile.gif
than no harm done and you got a new setup.
laugh.gif

Get her a Remington 700 SPS .223 Youth stock from Cabelas.
My wife saved her money and picked it out herself. Hers was on sale for just a hair over 500$ out the door including the Brady background check. It is a great shooter.

Just my opinion,and the old ball and chains opinion too.

RTLOF(TONY)

My wife would not go for the whole I'm buying this for you baby. I really don't think i have used that ploy (very often)

Originally Posted By: DaleMy wife would not go for the whole I'm buying this for you baby. I really don't think i have used that ploy (very often)

Nah, my wife and I have already discussed it.
She wants to go hunting. She needs a rifle that will fit her and that will get the job done.

She can also help me take care of a few predator problems that have been plaquing our farm
for awhile if she has her own rifle. That would be worth the price of a new gun right there.

We were at the local ma & pa gun store awhile back and the main clerk there is female.
She lectured me on NOT buying a gun for my wife for Xmas or her birthday. [beeep], that's to
bad.

Randy

+2 or 3 on the Ruger Compact. My wife also struggled with trying to shoot my sons 243 for a couple of years during deer season. Then at a gun show, we are walking along and there is a table filled with boxes of Ruger firearms. They had one of the Compacts out of the box and she asked if she could pick it up. As soon as she pulled it up, I knew I was going to be buying her one.

At the time I did not have a centerfire of my own, so we ended up getting the Compact in Blue/Wood and me the full size in S/S in the 260 Rem. All I can say is be prepared as that short barrel is an ear blaster when you touch er off.

I have often thought about getting a Compact in 223 for a truck gun. Those things are so light & easy to handle it would make a heck of a carry around calling rifle.

Back