Coyotes kill woman in Cape Breton

Originally Posted By: Three 44s........ maybe she had a ham sandwich in her pocket???

Here' my take:

Stupid people ....... and too many coyotes that are rising to the top of the food chain.

We need smarter people and re-educated coyotes with more shoulder room.

Three 44s

Jesus Christ dude, have some respect. What if that was your daughter.

Pepper spray works once on animals, then they know it causes no harm and
ignore it. In Alaska on the pipeline we would spray ammonia in bears faces and
it would only stop them once. Any good griz likes a little pepper with his tourist.
I am pretty sure coyotes in southern cal. have at least attacked some kids
before, don't know if they killed them. Condolences to the family. Two big
yotes would be a handful for most men with a knife let alone a girl.

Originally Posted By: bigwheeler Pepper spray works once on animals, then they know it causes no harm and
ignore it.

You gotta be kidding me? You know this to be true huh?

Tell ya what. Let me spray you once. After you realize it didn't kill you, let's see if you want me to give you another dose.

After the first time I'm kinda thinking you might soil yourself if I even pointed the can in your direction.

A terrible tragedy. Probably a bizarre series of circumstances and reactions gone wrong. Maybe if a person had the smell of blood on them and reacted like prey, very hungry coyotes might take down an animal the size of a human. Against two coyotes, I would take any of the weapons mentioned. A sharp knife can be a very lethal weapon.

Nova Scotia is on the east coast. there are no grizzly or lions there!
crime rate is very low and the chances of being attacked by coyotes are astronomical. the poor woman she did nothing wrong other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can't help but think that had she been educated in the ways of the wild by people who truly understand wild animals{hunters}, instead of tree huggers that don't know the hard reality about wildlife. She might still be alive!
Just my .02!

Originally Posted By: guessI can't help but think that had she been educated in the ways of the wild by people who truly understand wild animals{hunters}, instead of tree huggers that don't know the hard reality about wildlife. She might still be alive!
Just my .02!

Yeah, like rule #17 Leave the freaking Ipod at home and enjoy nature.

"Bancroft advises hikers to be alert and leave their iPods at home. He also suggests carrying a knife".

I may be wrong, but the article does not say that she was actually wearing an ipod.

This is a tragedy. As with most tragic situations there is something to learn.

To me this is the most relevant quote:

Originally Posted By: Findal"In situations like a national park [where] usually there's no hunting and no trapping allowed, they can get used to a human presence and not have much fear of any retribution," Bancroft told CBC News.

The point is that they weren't being hunted so they weren't afraid.

I like national parks and everything, but it is interesting to me that we create "natural" places for people to go. But it isn't "natural" for coyotes, bears, cougars to NOT be hunted IMO. They act unnaturally in these natural places because we act unnaturally in the same places. My argument that it is natural to hunt these animals and unnatural not to stems from observing who has survived through time when in close unguarded proximity to these animals? And it ain't the pacifists. The men on the Lewis and Clark expedition defended themselves many times from grizzlys for example. That was natural.

Bears breaking into minivans isn't natural. Coyotes attacking a person isn't natural.

Again, this is tragic. This is someone's daughter, and maybe sister or wife/girlfriend. And it was a crappy way to go. There is a lesson there though.

Quote by RPC55:

"Jesus Christ Dude, show some respect. What if it was your daughter?"

Un bunch your shorts!

I have respect for this poor lady but in all reality:

We have a WHOLE continent of brain dead people and from what I have seen ........

..... the Main Stream Media is in the same mode .........

MAKING APPOLOGIES for the coyotes. Life is not a video game ..... wild animals don't conform the the Geneva convention of Hollywood, and the media is stuck on denial.

I am really surprised that coyotes would try this ....... so I'am sorry ....... in all fairness ...... the victim must have really blown it. I find NO ammusement in this likely hood ..... but I sure think this tragedy should be viewed with clairity so that others would not repeat such mistakes.

And like many other PM members ....... I agree with concept of thinning the herd when coyotes get THIS brave.

My snarky remark about the ham sandwich was triggered by the previous poster hypothesising that "she might have been having her period" ....... and that perhaps confused those 'otes. (The retired Canadian official thought that she was perhaps confused with a deer .........)

Nothing personal ....... but if coyotes need only that much excuse ........

....... we are REALLY IN OVER our heads!!!

This lady was about to become quite an icon amongst todays youth by some accounts ........ burying the truth serves no good. Learning from her mistakes would be a much better route.

Three 44s

Last edited:
That sure is a bad deal but it is real odd as well.My condolences go out to the family.As far as the pepper spray goes bigwheeler is right after a few time its not so bad and they will figure it out. I know this from personal experience with pepper spray with oil and CS gas mix. Don't get me wrong it sucks but after a few time its not so bad. I worked for the Department of Corrections and used it on a daily bases and when you shoot a big can (party ball) off EVERYONE gets it inmates and officers.

South Paw Shooter,

A belated welcome to the forum!

I have heard that repeated exposure to CS etc. leads to dimished performance ..... but I would be VERY surprised if you even have the opportunity to repeat on a coyote.

The thing that bugs me about CS and similar products is that they must be well shook prior to usage.

I'd be a lot more worried about getting that can shook up in a timely fashion prior to an attack than whether or not the target had been sprayed before and therefor might not be sufficiently disabled.

If we have 'otes in North America populous enough and CS immune from repeated sprayings .........

.......... I'm lining up ....... arm load of rifles and ammo and REPORTING for DUTY!!!

Three 44s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Three 44s........ maybe she had a ham sandwich in her pocket???

Here' my take:

Stupid people ....... and too many coyotes that are rising to the top of the food chain.

Three 44s

I'm not defending the biased media, I just want to know why you think this lady is stupid? Perhaps i am reading into your post wrong.

Originally Posted By: rpc55Originally Posted By: Three 44s........ maybe she had a ham sandwich in her pocket???

Here' my take:

Three 44s

Jesus Christ dude, have some respect. What if that was your daughter.

+1
Respect and condolences to family are in order!

Last edited:
Quote:park officials killed one of the coyotes in question and sent its body for testing to try to determine what caused the animals to attack, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The incident is very out of character for the normally shy animals, but the park had received some reports of aggressive animals in the past, the Times of London reported.

How do they know coyotes did the killing.
Where they hanging around their kill?
It sounds alot like wolves.
How do they know this coyote they shot had anything to do with the killing?

PC

Originally Posted By: PineConeQuote:park officials killed one of the coyotes in question and sent its body for testing to try to determine what caused the animals to attack, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The incident is very out of character for the normally shy animals, but the park had received some reports of aggressive animals in the past, the Times of London reported.

How do they know coyotes did the killing.
Where they hanging around their kill?
It sounds alot like wolves.
How do they know this coyote they shot had anything to do with the killing?

PC

a different article that i read stated that hikers came to her help and scared 2 coyotes away.

well I know I am reviving an old thread here but I just happen to live in the same place the attack occurred. It has happened in that area b4 on a camp ground a few years back but no one was killed. You think a 50 pound yote is big. They can get as big as 80+ pounds here. Reason being that what we consider coyotes are not just that. They have done genetic studies on them here. They can be anywhere from 10 to 90% red wolf I believe it is. Anyway they have a higher then normal wolf gene percentage.That's what accounts for there size difference. However they usually average about 45 to 50 pounds. I have seen a few big coyotes that i would think went about 60 to 70 pounds. Never while hunting them.
They know the coyote that they shot was one of them because they did some tests on the gut content and the fact that it was guarding her body aggressively when dnr (department of natural resources)showed up. The other fled or was shot and fled not and was not found. The trail it happened on has some 20 to 30 thousand hiker's travelling it every summer.There were other hikers on the trail that heard her screams or seen the attack and called 911. As for the reason they attacked I have no idea. I would think that they were probably so use to seeing people all most everyday of there life and with people probably feeding them and what not sense they were pups. That this was just the next step they took. You have way more to fear from moose in that area then anything else.
might have been a food shortage in the area, highly doubt it but possible and if that is or was the case then we are on the menu as much as the next critter is.

Back