25-06 75gr bullet choice

Rost-SD

Between the Vmax and Sierra HP Varminter?? I's like to call coyotes with one of these two loads. Both seem impossible to find bullets for.

Does any one have experience with these?

I have only tried the 75g vmax in a couple 25-06's. They've been very accurate in 3 different 25-06's anywhere from 3600-3800fps.

The BC on them is better then the sierra for what little its worth, plus I like plastic tips.

The vmax is really explosive at 25-06 speeds. Kills coyotes very well, but leaves big entrance or splat wounds a lot of times. They shoot fast and flat out to about 400 yards, so for calling I think they woudl be great.

The 85g nbt is an excellent bullet. I've killed a few coyotes out to 600 yards with them. They tend to exit and tear them up pretty bad as well. Get them going 3600fps and they are pretty good on coyotes, fast and flat as well, but give you a little more penetration on the closer ones then the 75g bullets.

+1 Also the 75g V-Max likes to come apart on warm days if velocity gets much over 3900fps in my experience. Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25I have only tried the 75g vmax in a couple 25-06's. They've been very accurate in 3 different 25-06's anywhere from 3600-3800fps.

The BC on them is better then the sierra for what little its worth, plus I like plastic tips.

The vmax is really explosive at 25-06 speeds. Kills coyotes very well, but leaves big entrance or splat wounds a lot of times. They shoot fast and flat out to about 400 yards, so for calling I think they woudl be great.

The 85g nbt is an excellent bullet. I've killed a few coyotes out to 600 yards with them. They tend to exit and tear them up pretty bad as well. Get them going 3600fps and they are pretty good on coyotes, fast and flat as well, but give you a little more penetration on the closer ones then the 75g bullets.

Each of those bullets shoot well in different 25 caliber rifles I have. It's difficult to predict what bullets will shoot in your specific rifle, however. You'll just have to buy a box of each, and try them.
You can order them by mail as each are available. I recently bought some of each. I use Natchez, Sinclair, Midway and Huntingtons.com for bullets.

Just load up some 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips. That way you have the same round and trajectory for shooting deer and coyotes. It won't have the same muzzle velocity as 75's, but at less than 400 yds it won't matter much and beyond 400 yds it gets better than 75's.

+1 on the 100g nbt. ONly problem is if your shots are inside 200 yards on deer, the bullet literally just blows up, I definately woulnd't aim for the shoulder on deer.

I'm not one to badmouth NBT's as they are my favorite bullet, but you have to use them to there limitations.

I tried to catch one at 100 yards by lining up milk jugs filled with water and I couldn't even find the base of it. At 200 yards it did what there suppose to, mushroomed out, lead intact, and weighed about 55g. What they do to a coyote shoulder at 100-150 yards is something to be seen...

Im going with the 100g nbt at 3500fps in my 25-06 for LR coyotes/deer right now. Its a great compromise of accuracy, flat shooting, and hard hitting out to 600 yards.

Originally Posted By: Rost-SDReally? You can get a .257 100 grain bullet to travel 3500 fps??

I'd like to know that load info! I have a bunch of Nosler 100 grainers to work up a load for, and that would pack a heck of a punch if you could get that kind of velocity.

kevlars

gentlemen....refer to ur load manuals...compare max powder charge by weight for 25/06 & then to 257WBY ...100grn bullet...max vel to max vel...be careful out there

60.5g of Retumbo w/100g nbt is what I use in my 24" shilen. I have a fast barrel. Not complaining though.

I get 3250fps with 115g nbt's and 57g Retumbo in the same rifle.

No pressure, signs, great accuracy, 1/2 MOA from both.

Use win cases, WLR primers, and OAL of 3.250"

I'm not saying every 25-06 will reach 3500fps safely and accurately, but mine does, and I"m very happy with it. This is my 4th one now and its the only one I"ve tried Retumbo in, so I cant compare it to the other rifles. However with the other 3 rifles, 3400 was all I could get with Rl-22 and IMR-4831.

Retumbo is definately worth looking into though IMO. One of the better powders for the 25-06 w/100-120g bullets.

Back