Which mouth blown crow call?

Timber Prowler

Guys, this year will be my first attempt at crow hunting. And I was hopeing some of you could recommened a good hand call with good sound quality, and fairly easy to blow if possible.

Thanks for your help.

I have a Mallardtone but I don't think it is being made anymore. Hop over to Crowbusters.com and see what they have to say about available calls these days. They even have a store there and that is where I got mine.

Best of luck and I'll warn you right now crow hunting is like drugs. If you don't want to get hooked, don't even try it the first time.

I have an old Lohman wood crow call that sounds great. Last year, I found and bought another one.......doesn't sound anything like the original. Also bought a Mallardtone, it doesn't sound good either. I've got a custom call, real high pitch, but nothing sounds as good as my old Lohman.
Guess it's like a lot of things, you may buy several before you find a good one. Another idea: if there are any turkey seminars close to you, there may be some custom calls you can "hear" before you buy.

Bob Arohnson, the crow hunting king, recommends the Jack Lee Mincey calls. The Gibson calls are good also.

Like mentioned, go over to crow busters and check it out. Bob posts there quite a bit. They sell all the good calls too.

i've got about a two dozen factory made crow calls and a few custom made calls. my favorite by far is the old wooden Mallard Tone. I've bought a few on ebay. got a couple used ones to use in the field and 3 or 4 mint in the box for collection. if you can find a used Mallard Tone crow call(check ebay) they are worth the price. think i gave 12 or 15 bucks for mine.

Originally Posted By: nutcrackeri've got about a two dozen factory made crow calls and a few custom made calls. my favorite by far is the old wooden Mallard Tone. I've bought a few on ebay. got a couple used ones to use in the field and 3 or 4 mint in the box for collection. if you can find a used Mallard Tone crow call(check ebay) they are worth the price. think i gave 12 or 15 bucks for mine.

Was that price on ebay recently? Bob Arohnson said that the old mallard tones were his favorite, but the new ones aren't as good. I figured that they were more than that, so I never checked in to them.

i bought those calls couple of years ago. i've seen em on ebay several times in that range for a used one. mint in the box up to $40. it's one of the easiest calls i've ever used and great sound out of the older ones. if you can get one in good shape it'll be worth what you spend on it. crow's like the sound

4crows.jpg

Have a look at this .

Seems like I got my Mallartone about ten years ago and paid about $10-$15 for it. I think it does make the best sound of all the calls I have.

Yeah, that's just like the one I have. The only other call I have right now is a Primos. It is much better suited to turkey location, but I still use it and the Mallartone on stands to give the representation of different birds calling.

i carried a friend coyote hunting earlier this week. he's an experienced turkey hunter. we we're talking about calls and i mentioned that i use a crow call as a confidence sometimes during my stand. he said he had heard that worked and had brought a couple of his crow calls he used to locate turkeys with.

at the end of the day he asked to see my crow call. said he had never heard a call that sounded that realistic. we set up about 100yds from each other, caller upwind shooter downwind. he said he had trouble deciding if it was me on the crow call, or if a crow had come in to the distress call and was making a ruckus.

i showed him my mallard tone crow call. he's looking on ebay for one right now. like i said earlier, i've got a shoe box full of factory crow calls, all kinds. and a few custom calls. the old mallard tone calls have the most realistic sound i've found, and are very user friendly.

sorry to take so long to answer. yes that is the call. these are vintage calls and you may have to check ebay periodically. i've managed to purchase 5 on ebay. 2 used calls and 3 mint in the original box. keep checking. surely one will show up on there. worth the wait! good luck.

o yea! that mallardtone nutcracker is talking about is amazing! like he said(i think im the friend he is talking about) i am an experienced turkey hunter, and have always used factory crow calls, that are horrible! but when he hit that mallardtone the other day, i honestly had to really try to pick out if it was a real crow or him calling! and im good w/ turkey/crow calls, and it fooled me! it is a GREAT GREAT call! and i really recommend it!
cant wait to get back out and hunt w/ you Mr. Perry!

LeviSS The Gibson calls are good also. [/quote said:
Gibson is it. I got one and is as loud as you want to make it. Turns crows around with the 'fighting call' like you won't believe. You might want to get Bob's CD with the basic calls. It really helps understanding some of the crow lingo...

Originally Posted By: puppypopperYou will not regret the time you have spend listening to Bob.

Definitely not. Bob's the man...really nice guy too. I've messaged with him on Crowbusters a couple times.

Hey, guys I have a oak Gibson crow call! Man he is the best that call sound like crow!!! I have a Buckner crow call not even close! Gibson crow calls is the way to go!!! Mr.Gibson made me a crow call it is awesome!!! (I LOVE IT) thank,you Mr.Gibson I will be order some more crow calls from you soon!!!!!!!

Back