Shooting sticks or bipod?

I've shot off a bipod for years, but rarely at big game. On prairie dogs I'm more accurate off the 'pod than sticks and I don't like carrying them around. Sticks worked ok for me, but being able to set my rifle down while I take a leak and not have the barrel in the mud is more than enough reason to use it.

No reason you couldn't cart a set of sticks around with you as well, have the best of both.

I've got a broken monopod, two bi pods and a pair of shooting sticks. My gun has been in the dirt with the monopod and shooting sticks. The bipods are much more stable and I can use the shotgun without worrying about knocking over my gun. my2cents

Quote:Sticks worked ok for me, but being able to set my rifle down while I take a leak and not have the barrel in the mud is more than enough reason to use it.

Originally Posted By: kylesredappleThe bipods are much more stable and I can use the shotgun without worrying about knocking over my gun. my2cents

Anything bibod will do, sticks will do better (works for me)
grin.gif

29025982368_04eb0b3c38_c.jpg

With proper setup, sticks can be as stable as bipod to rest rifle on unattended. I put my sling on backwards (loop to front) and run one arm of the sticks through the loop. This keeps rifle from slipping and makes a perfect tripod to rest rifle on while hunting or unattended. Just spread the legs of sticks if you wish to rest butt of rifle on ground:

35534422252_87512fdc0e_c.jpg

When shooting off sticks, I grasp the sling & sticks all together and pull rifle/sticks into my shoulder for more stable platform; this makes it a very simple thing to swing sticks/rifle left or right should that be necessary.

Sticks are also useful to poke high grass along the trail to move any unseen rattlers, bipod not long enough for that
shocked.gif
wink.gif

Oh, and if you need to check a long range zero in the field, lets see you do this with a bipod
grin.gif

35713998135_7d46164a08_c.jpg

Regards,
hm

I use a Harris bi pod for big game hunting. I tried to use them for coyotes but felt they handicapped me in terms of freedom of movement. I tried a monopod. While easy to transport and they make a handy walking stick they SUCK as a rifle support, especially beyond 175 yards or so. Can't like them. The best thing I can say about a mono pod is they are better than no rest at all. I tried a couple Stoney point bi-pods. They are almost good, except they break easy and are poor quality. I've got two or three broken Stoney Point mono and bi-pods. I will not be buying anymore Stoney Point Pods of any kind. In my mind Stoney Point pods=JUNK! I now use a Boggear bi-pod. It's the cat's meow. It's a little more expensive and worth every penny. It is superior in every aspect to the Stoney Point products.
CoyoteMntDouble.jpg

I've tried both and chose the sticks over bipod every time. When I get frustrated with the sticks? I shoot, sitting, from the knees.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996 Quote:Sticks worked ok for me, but being able to set my rifle down while I take a leak and not have the barrel in the mud is more than enough reason to use it.

Originally Posted By: kylesredappleThe bipods are much more stable and I can use the shotgun without worrying about knocking over my gun. my2cents

With proper setup, sticks can be as stable as bipod to rest rifle on unattended. I put my sling on backwards (loop to front) and run one arm of the sticks through the loop. This keeps rifle from slipping and makes a perfect tripod to rest rifle on while hunting or unattended. Just spread the legs of sticks if you wish to rest butt of rifle on ground:

IMG_2526-1.jpg

When shooting off sticks, I grasp the sling & sticks all together and pull rifle/sticks into my shoulder for more stable platform; this makes it a very simple thing to swing sticks/rifle left or right should that be necessary.

Sticks are also useful to poke high grass along the trail to move any unseen rattlers, bipod not long enough for that
shocked.gif
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

I shot Pdogs all summer off a pair of sticks, pretty much as you have posted and did ok with it, still had the rifle fall over once or twice. Home made stick and they could have used a little improvement. I managed to take my goat this year sitting with the bipod, deer was a running shot so it was kneeling and pivoting. For pee breaks though, nothing beats just dropping the legs and not worrying about it
smile.gif

These are homemade sticks, as well. Used the green plastic covered steel tubing garden stakes from any of the garden shops @ Home Depot, K-mart, etc. Makes a very light set of sticks that fold together nicely. Inserted a 16 penny nail in one end in a glob of JB weld (pointy end out), then lashed sticks together w/parachute chord. The nails dig in and keep feet from slipping and sling keeps rifle/sticks from sliding. Only time I ever came close to dumping a rifle was before I looped sling around sticks.

I did have a bit of trouble w/lashing sliding up-down sticks but put a drop of super glue on lashing and put a stop to that.

Regards,
hm

Predator sniper styx all the way. I shoot a lot of steep ground and their new extensions are perfect for what i need. The ground can be as un-level as it wants and my gun is always squared away and at the right height. simply hold and grip the sticks 4-6 inches below the stock. When you need to move the gun just squeeze and move it all at once. very fast and easy.

SnakeFarm:

I personally think you're already on the right track. Go with the Rapid Pivot Bipod. They have all the advantages of sticks without the disadvantages. They swing with your rifle. You can adjust the height easily by widening the legs. They detach quickly from your rifle. And, they aren't near as noisy as a Harris. Plus, the Harris are not high enough for me especially sitting on a slope which I prefer. The other nice thing about the SP RPB is I can carry my prone bipod in my pack and just snap them on when a stand dictates it. The only drawback to this setup is that you do have to be careful if using it for a tripod to set your rifle down particularly with the sitting/kneeling model. I do it occcasionally but I have to be careful about it. The fact that they are flexible and they pivot means they aren't going to be a great rifle rack. Small trade off for all the other advantages to me, though. Good luck with whatever you choose!

tt

Originally Posted By: SnakeFarm250I have always just used some homemade shooting sticks, but I have been thinking about getting a bipod. I would want them tall enough to shoot off of either kneeling or sitting. Been looking at the stoney point rapid pivot. What do you guys use or recommend?
Go with your first instinct........ I've got both the prone, and the sitting....can't go wrong with these.

Dialed it back down to the RedHead Kwik Stiks! Weighs hardly anything! And I hike-in quite a bit usually. Assembles real fast via schock-corded connections. And it's very easy to pull out from the pack, at most I might need to unsnap the top clicker. But not usually.

Meh... sometime finding a good place to set down one of the smallish feet it has can present a tricky problem with a leg squishing down in, here and there on occasion, when you're sitting in the leaves, but other than that. This setup has been great fun with shooting Ground Squirrels across a Ravine. Farthest so far being 92yd.

Also picked up a Primos Trigger-Stick Monopod for going after rabbits because at this other place the terrain requires the need for a stick that raises you up to standing height and giving you the ability to quickly shoot over and behind taller pieces of brush. OR waiting for the occasional morning rabbit that will expose himself 80+yds away.

Had this other Bi-pod with the Twist-to-lock legs and those twist locks failed on me when this big fat rabbit presented himself at like 80+ yds. Made me real upset. So took a chance and bought the Trigger Stick Monopod. In that situation/terrain the ability to adjust height rapidly due to all that brush, is awesome.

That particular terrain is also why I decided to get an .17HMR too. Specifically for those couple of bunnies that were bigger... that would show themselves more out in the open, along the fringe of the open area I was in, on the opposite edge. Like at 80+yds. With the .17HMR I don't have to fuss around with remembering the drop at that distance like I did with .22LR.

Last edited:
Back