What to Do with RRA Varmint

spook1

I have a Rock River Varmint that is super accurate. However, it is a little heavy for my hunting needs here in Ohio where I am moving around alot. My only hesitation is becuase of the accuracy I currently can achieve. What would be my best option. I am thinking of either selling the upper and getting a smaller barreled and lighter upper, or seeing if I can get this one fluted and possibly shave some weight.

If I decide to get a different upper, what would you guys recommend for a good flat top upper that is fairly lightweight.

Thanks

You could try to sell or trade it and get a RRA Predator Pursuit. That is what I use.

You could flute the barrel and get a different gas block without the rail on it......

It all depends on what you want to spend your money on. I purchased an Armalite with a matched grade heavy barrel for my first AR. It is heavy!
cry.gif
The next AR was a RRA Pred. Pursuit which I purchased through ???? which is a custom gun builder in Florence AZ. When he received the RRA he fluted it and bead blasted the barrel for $100. My buddy that ordered the RRA P.P. didn't have his fluted and it is noticibly heavier. Well, I brought my Armalite to him and had the same thing done to it...fluted(under the forearm and infront of gas block)and bead blasted for $100. It is still heavier than my RRA but is the same weight as my buddies RRA without fluting. Atleast they feel the same to me. I haven't actually measured them on a scale to verify actual weight.

Since there weren't any PD's in OH when I lived there in the late 70's, guessing you're a ground hog/coyote hunter. If that's a good guess, suggest that you consider a "pencil" barrel upper.

Have a good friend that shoots a Vietnam era take-off mil-spec barrel that is a very good shooter..maybe it's his Jewell trigger. I have a pencil barrel CAR15 16" that shoots good..sure not a dog town set-up but w/good optics and RR NM trigger I enjoy it.

I have RR Varmint 24" EOP which weighs only slightly less than a rail, as in railroad type, but only tote it to and from the bench.

I would just buy another upper and keep that one as well. You don't even
need to get the bolt carrier group. If you want light go with a carbine length.
A Predator Pursuit is only going to save a pound.

This might sound funny. But I have been going through the exact same thing. My RR Varminter is unbelievably accurate. I just decided to keep it and use it on a more limited basis. The darn thing just shoots too good to get rid of. Tom.

I would rebarrel it with a good barrel of your choice (stainless or chrome moly), sale the bull barrel and call it a day. You have all the parts and know it works well, unless it has a high round count the carrier and bolt going into a new barrel is a non issue.

What is involved with Rebarreling an AR? I am fairly new to the AR's, as I have mostly always dealt with bolt guns and shotguns. What would be a good barrel to go with?

Or... What is an average price for a RRA Varmint upper? Where is the best place to try and find a good used Predator Pursuit or other upper. I was thinking about maybe even trying a 16" heavy barrel from DPMS or such, as I figured it would save some weight because of the decreased length.

I like everything about the carbine uppers except for the front sights. I will definitely be using a scope and don't like the idea of the high post sight up front.

Sorry for so much rambling, but I don't know a ton about these AR's and I am trying to pick your guys brains to come up with something.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I sold my Bushmaster Varmint Special upper - 24" stainless heavy barrel, and replaced it with a RRA Coyote Carbine. I was looking to save weight, like you, and it was the lightest upper that fit my needs. The decreased length also helps make it feel more agile, another plus. It is a flat top, so you don't have to worry about the front sight. I haven't shot it a bunch, but what I have shot has been very impressive. You might give it a look, the weights are all listed on the RRA website. I bought mine at tenpercentfirearms.com.

Originally Posted By: spook1I have a Rock River Varmint that is super accurate. However, it is a little heavy for my hunting needs here in Ohio where I am moving around alot. My only hesitation is becuase of the accuracy I currently can achieve. What would be my best option. I am thinking of either selling the upper and getting a smaller barreled and lighter upper, or seeing if I can get this one fluted and possibly shave some weight.

If I decide to get a different upper, what would you guys recommend for a good flat top upper that is fairly lightweight.

Thanks

wow. you sound like me! I just sold a 24" 204 bull upper on the boards here.

I just don't like to lug the heavy stuff around the fields 4-5 hrs anymore. chasing chuck's. I've let go of a number of heavy varmint rigs over the past year or so. I carry sporters in bolt guns and a couple 16" AR's see alot of time these days. If I hunted PD's out west it'd be differant.

I have the 20" version of the RRAs coyote upper. Its "Bad to the Bone" Nearly removed a Coyotes head last week with a 55gr V-Max. Mine is heavy because I have too much scope 2.5x16x50MM Bushnell 6500 elite. Need some thing lighter.

Originally Posted By: spook1 What is involved with Rebarreling an AR? I am fairly new to the AR's, as I have mostly always dealt with bolt guns and shotguns. What would be a good barrel to go with?

Or... What is an average price for a RRA Varmint upper? Where is the best place to try and find a good used Predator Pursuit or other upper. I was thinking about maybe even trying a 16" heavy barrel from DPMS or such, as I figured it would save some weight because of the decreased length.

I like everything about the carbine uppers except for the front sights. I will definitely be using a scope and don't like the idea of the high post sight up front.

Sorry for so much rambling, but I don't know a ton about these AR's and I am trying to pick your guys brains to come up with something.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rebarreling is a pretty simple process w/ the right tools and a little bit of knowledge. There's very good tutorials w/ pic over at ar15.com.

As far as a front sight, you can cut the sight off leaving only the portion that functions as the gas block (ar15.com has a tutorial for this as well).

There's quite a few good bbls out there to be had. JSE surplus was running a really good deal on 16" Wilson SS HBAR's (a good step above mil spec bbls). Lothar Walther, Sabre Defense, White Oak Armament, Rock Creek all make very good bbls. Unless you already have .223 go/nogo headspace guages I'd opt for a bbl w/ a headspaced and matched bolt. Little Crow Gunworks in Spicer MN has really good pricing on Lothar Walther SS HBAR bbls w/ a headspaced/matched bolt. Google either of these suppliers for their websites.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spook1I have a Rock River Varmint that is super accurate. However, it is a little heavy for my hunting needs here in Ohio where I am moving around alot. My only hesitation is becuase of the accuracy I currently can achieve. What would be my best option. I am thinking of either selling the upper and getting a smaller barreled and lighter upper, or seeing if I can get this one fluted and possibly shave some weight.

Thanks

Spook1,

You can get just what you want without spending a whole lot of money in the RRA line. 2 examples:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=266
Stock number AR0375X
Mid-Length A4 Upper Half. The 18.0" barrel will save you a fair amount of weight, without losing much velocity.

OR:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=267
Stock number AR0450X
Standard A4 Upper Half
Rifle length barrel at 20.0"

I have had very good luck with the std. CM RRA barrels, finding them extremely accurate right out of box. I started years ago with their least expensive A4 flatop complete upper, and have killed hundreds upon hundreds of prairie dogs with it. I realize there aren't any PD's in Ohio, but this rig is so darn accurate, I think either one will serve your needs for chucks, especially at longer distances.

This way, you get to keep you present upper, and get a new upper swapping the same lower between uppers, so there's no additional expense there.

It sounds as if the 18.0" CM barreled version may get you closer to what you're after. All I know is I've had nothing but great luck (operational) and fantastic accuracy with RRA complete Uppers.

Hope this helps some.

Hangtime.

how about ? just having the barrel turned down ?

i assume ? your barrel is pretty thick ?

like as in HBAR ?

theres some guy named kirk, gunsmith, who turns em down, pretty cheep...100 bucks ?
over on ar15[dot]com.

i'ed just look around local ? machine shop. caint be that hard to trim one down..??

peabody

you know how that barrel shoots, i'ed try to keep it.

I think I would like to try and get a Rock River Coyote Upper after researching from your guys opinions. Where is the best place to get one, and is there anyplace to get one without the BCG? I think mine should work okay with it. I also found the Stag Arms model 3 upper for a pretty good price and was wondering anyone's views on that particular upper. I am just having a hard time finding a Coyote Upper. Keep the feedback coming as I really appreciate it and it is very helpful.

spook,
Im not an armorer or anything like that, but i do have all the tools to swap barrels, uppers and whatnot. Heck, I even have some stuff laying around you might be interested in.

If it were me and the gun was too heavy, Id swap barrels and butstocks. Your lookin at a barrel, new gas block and possibly a new gas tube-the rest will swap if you want a dedicated upper, its not going to tack much money on the project.

around here a long shot is 200 yards, a GI profile barrel will suit your needs very well. I actually have a 20 inch on the bench currently without a home, and a 10.5 in need of a permantly mounted flash hider as well. Since your in ohio, you might live close enough that I could show/help you put it all together.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotenaylorspook,
Im not an armorer or anything like that, but i do have all the tools to swap barrels, uppers and whatnot. Heck, I even have some stuff laying around you might be interested in.

If it were me and the gun was too heavy, Id swap barrels and butstocks. Your lookin at a barrel, new gas block and possibly a new gas tube-the rest will swap if you want a dedicated upper, its not going to tack much money on the project.

around here a long shot is 200 yards, a GI profile barrel will suit your needs very well. I actually have a 20 inch on the bench currently without a home, and a 10.5 in need of a permantly mounted flash hider as well. Since your in ohio, you might live close enough that I could show/help you put it all together.

now that was a really kind offer...
wishes you lived closer to missouri..
smile.gif

sounds like the cheapest route.

peabody

Back