Opinions on Rem. 25/06 barrel swap??

outlawskybuster

I have a Remington 700 in 25/06 we have had for years. It probably has had thousands of rounds ran threw it. Still shoots well but not like it use to.

Gotta a few questions.
1st...What calibers, besides a 25/06 can you change to? And which would you guys and galls reccommend me to get? Prob be a deer gun. Ranging from 0 to 600 yards. But might be a little small for deer at that ranges so might be a extreme long range shooter for coyotes instead.

2nd...What does it usually cost to have it rebarreled? And what all would you have done to the action?

3rd... Who would you recommend?

Personally I consider a 25-06 plenty large enough for deer but if you wanted bigger the 30-06 is more than enough for deer. I can't help you on #2 or #3 , I've never hired anyone to rebarrel a gun.

Theoretically,you could change to alot of calibers,depending of course on how much you wanted to spend. Any change in the rim of the case would require a new bolt head as well. I think 25-06 is enough for deer and would not go to a 30-06 if what you really want a coyote gun. And I can't help you with 2or 3 either sorry.

The fastest, easiest, cheapest way to change cartridges would be to stick with something based on the 30-06 case. 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 35 Whelen.

You could also go with a wildcat round if you reload, like the 6mm-06( a favorite of mine), 25-06 AI, or 280AI. Dies are more expensive for these cartridges. I think I paid $115 for my Redding 6mm-06 2-die set.

Personally, I'd just stick with the 25-06. Sounds like it fits your needs.

Chambering/headspacing/crowning/fitting a new barrel will run you roughly $150-$200 plus the price of the barrel, depending on the smith. I know smiths that charge both less and more than this. The cheaper guys name I do not give away. The other guy is so busy with builds, he is not taking the work right now.

A good smith I could recommend to you is Mickey Coleman. Mick is a real nice guy and does good work at reasonable prices.
http://www.colemanrifles.com/

How much action work you want done is up to you. Some Remingtons shoot real well with little to nothing done to them. Plenty good for hunting. Some take a little work. Have Mickey make sure the locking lugs are making good contact. If not, have him lap them. Have him check if the bolt face is square. Just guessing, you can probably get the bolt lugs/bolt face/receiver threads/ and receiver lugs trued for $200.

Tell Mickey 2MG sent you.

Good luck.......

....if ur look'n for a chambering thats unique...6.5/06...if smith has access to reamer...lots of cartridges use the .473 bolt face...good luck & have fun!

Originally Posted By: Chapped Lips....if ur look'n for a chambering thats unique...6.5/06...if smith has access to reamer...lots of cartridges use the .473 bolt face...good luck & have fun!

I think the 6.5/06 is just too close to the .270 It's hard to justify the expense of forming brass, custom dies when you can get an off the shelf 270 ammo and stuff.

Another vote for 6mm-06 though

You don't have to go long....in the .473" bolt face: (but here is some short and long that will work)
240 Weatherby
243 Winchester
6mm-250 Savage (6mm International)
6mm-284 Winchester
250 Savage
257 Roberts
25-284 Winchester
6.5x57mm Mauser
7x57mm Mauser (7mm Mauser)
7mm BR (Bench Rest)
7mm-08 Remington
7x64mm Brenneke
7mm Express
284 Winchester
300 Savage
308 Winchester
338 Federal

id stay with the 25/06 its one of my faverite rifles im on my second barrel and its flat shooting and deadly on every thing including deer size animals

I don't know why anyone would build any of the short action cartidges on a long action. I wouldn't. Building a 240 Wby. is senseless unless you don't reload......

I would register on the Savage shooter's forum ..... membership is $12 a year.

http://www.savageshooters.com/

Look up Northlander.

He runs a business ordering barrels for Savage (and now) Remington after market barrels that feature the Savage nut system. On the barrels made for your 700 a Savage wrench will fit it and you headspace your own gun .....

The Remys are called Rem-age ........

I just bought a heavy SS Savage take off barrel over the above web site in 25-06 so I guess I have rejoined the Quarter bore club again!!!........

Three 44s

Last edited:
Back