Coyotes kill woman in Cape Breton

Findal

Quote:A 19-year-old woman has died after being attacked by two coyotes in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

The RCMP confirm the woman died overnight at the QEII Health Sciences Centre in Halifax.

The woman was hiking on the Skyline Trail when she was attacked Tuesday afternoon. She was taken to the hospital in Cheticamp, then airlifted to Halifax in critical condition.

Park superintendent Helene Robichaud said the victim, believed to be from the Toronto area, was walking the trail alone.

'They may have snuck up on her and knocked her over before she even knew what happened.'
—Wildlife biologist Bob BancroftShe said other hikers managed to scare off the coyotes and call 911.

An RCMP officer shot at one of the animals, but couldn't find the body. Robichaud said park staff put down a coyote overnight and were looking for a second one.

"We're continuing our exercise on the trail," she told CBC News Wednesday morning.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said this kind of attack is extremely rare and he's never heard of such a serious case in Nova Scotia.

He said coyotes, which are normally up to 50 pounds, are usually very shy, though they can be bold.

"In situations like a national park [where] usually there's no hunting and no trapping allowed, they can get used to a human presence and not have much fear of any retribution," Bancroft told CBC News.

It's unclear what happened in the woods on Tuesday.

Bancroft said it's possible the hiker didn't even realize what was happening.

"They may have snuck up on her and knocked her over before she even knew what happened," he said. "They may have been youngsters. They just may not have had a lot of experience or they may have just capitalized on a situation where a young person was acting vulnerable and very frightened by their presence."

He said there's a slight possibility that the animals had rabies.

Bancroft had his own run-in with a coyote several years ago when he was alone in the woods.

"A coyote came straight at me. It happened very, very quickly. It stopped and I just stood my ground, I didn't act," he said. "It actually regrouped and charged again. And I think the fact that I didn't act like a prey item convinced it to leave me alone."

Bancroft advises hikers to be alert and leave their iPods at home. He also suggests carrying a knife.

The Skyline Trail has been closed and barricaded.

CBC News Story

Originally Posted By: Findal
Bancroft advises hikers to be alert and leave their iPods at home. He also suggests carrying a knife.

Knife's A$$! Has to be a tree hugger! I read about this yesterday...Thats a bad way to go...Very Sad...

Originally Posted By: MCWALK
Findal said:
Quote:

Knife's A$$! Has to be a tree hugger! I read about this yesterday...Thats a bad way to go...Very Sad...

Guns are illegal in the national parks. Bear spray would be far better than a knife. 12GA would be best.

No to diminish this tragedy but I can't help but say it...

Another senseless ipod related fatality...

Every year there are several people in this town killed or mainmed because they were listening to their Ipods and not paying attention to what they are doing.

Usually while riding a bike or walking in the street. I'm kind of joking here but there are more Ipod related0 accidents in Alberta every year than gun accidents. But explain that to some leftist a$$hat.

That's why you carry a walking stick. That's how I got into making them. To this day I'll garranty that my sticks are dog proof. translation- should not be able to break it over a dogs head no matter how hard you swing
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: reb8600But the antis say there is no reason to carry a weapon in National Parks.

You think you folks got it bad in the states? Canada went from super gun friendly to fascist in about 5 years.

It can and will happen in USA if you don't stop it.

I agree that a knife isn't going to do any good against a couple of wild coyotes. Bear spray might not either but its gotta be better than a knife. Especially in the hands of a nineteen year old female that's had zero hand to hand combat training with a blade. Tom Austin

Ironic... and I was just mocked by someone on this site 2 weeks ago for being "concerned" about being followed out of the woods by a pack of coyotes after deer bow hunting one evening. Maybe the the story's title should be "Song Dogs Kill Singer"...
blush.gif
Ok, I am going to perdition for that comment....

Originally Posted By: RoscoeT Originally Posted By: reb8600But the antis say there is no reason to carry a weapon in National Parks.

You think you folks got it bad in the states? Canada went from super gun friendly to fascist in about 5 years.

It can and will happen in USA if you don't stop it.

That is why it is so hard to buy ammo now because everyone is stocking up for the coming hurricane.

I don't ever remember reading or hearing about any other coyote attacks resulting in the death of a human. Is this the first time on record that a coyote(s) has been responsible for a human death?

Didnt the parents of these absolutely brainless LIBS teach them anything? Everyone knows you aren't supposed to run with knives...I guess it's rare, but where I live, I shoot wild dogs all the time out near our city dump. They're alot more brave than coyotes and have hurt, or maimed several kids in the area over the years. Not to mention the fact that they are a nuisance digging in trash cans or killing domesticated pets, so I crack their a$$es whenever I get the chance when I call them in. No collar = No longer alive...Really sorry this happened, I couldn't imagine if this happened to someone close to me. I agree with the comment about carrying a knife...what a deuche bag...I mean really, what 100 pound girl carry's the kind of knife it would take to fend off a couple brave coyotes like that...it would surely have to be a crocodile dundee knife. Here is my advice; Go get some pepper spray and put it opposite the ipod arm and if you get attacked by beast or man, let loose with that in their face and they will wish they were dead. I have been hosed with the stuff, and it will make you quit whatever it was you were doing and make you want to die just a little bit.

Got to thinking about this during the night.
I wonder if she was having her period and that's what set
the coyotes off. Also, in this day and age, I would think
hikers wouldn't or at least shouldn't be out hiking alone.

Randy

........ maybe she had a ham sandwich in her pocket???

Here' my take:

Stupid people ....... and too many coyotes that are rising to the top of the food chain.

We need smarter people and re-educated coyotes with more shoulder room.

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI don't ever remember reading or hearing about any other coyote attacks resulting in the death of a human. Is this the first time on record that a coyote(s) has been responsible for a human death? .....our media would never cover such an event unless it was hunter being killed,a child or a celebrity...they just barely covered the photographer being killed by a wolf a couple years ago.

Originally Posted By: reb8600But the antis say there is no reason to carry a weapon in National Parks.

That's a pretty ugly way to die - but just serves to illustrate that you, and you alone, are responsible for your own safety when you go out in the wild.

It kills me when you read the advice on wilderness/camping sites about how to deal with animal attacks - they usually read something like "if a scary animal approaches you, jump up and down and ring a little bell..."

I guess she forgot to take her little bell with her.

Back