.204- 40 grain nosler ballistic tips??

Hydro-dipped? Atta boy wysongdog!!! You're gonna love it. I get compliments on mine every week. Not to mention, dipped guns kill more critters.
grin.gif
Camo? What pattern did you choose? Tom Austin

Originally Posted By: youngdon "I read here that the 32's were prone to splashing."

That's the trouble. You read it, instead of getting out there and seeing for yourself.

"Long range, 250+ performance is doubtful in any kind of wind more than a breeze."

Same deal, huh? Get out there and learn your rifle and load. 40 gr. nozlers at 3850, with 250+ wind drift equals or trumps that of a '250 or swift with 55 grainers. Clear out to 600 yds.....imagine that.....

"I personally reserve the 32gr. bullets for smaller than coyote size game although that may change if I run into a few and have drt performance."

In the words of Clint....A man's got to know his limitations.......

yep hydro dipped, finally bit the bullet and did it. Scott has been amazing to work with. one is going to be kings desert shadow, and the other is mossy oak brush. I'm stoked about it.

ok went out this morning and killed a variety of dogs from 10 lbs to 34 lbs. all were hit within 3" of the front shoulder, several in the shoulder and only one bang flop. everything else died within 35' of where it was hit, but wasn't really overly impressed with the 40 grain vmax's. all dogs were killed under 100 yards. does anyone know where I can find the 40 grain ballistic tips in a loaded ammunition?

Midway was offering nosler custom ammo with the 40 grainers, but you know how finding ammo can be right now. I would check the online stores and just see who has it in stock.

I am new to the site but wanted to let you know my experience with ballistic tip ammo. I have been shooting coyotes for 25 years +. I film and hunt coyotes for a major video company. I have film of numerous coyotes being hit broadside for what should have been a perfect shot go straight down and proceed to get up and run away shooting 32 grain vmax and 34 grain Winchester hps out of a .204. We tried shooting 40 grain vmax but they key holed on us so I can't comment on the 40's. However, I have had too many spinners and brief run offs with 50 grain vmax out of my 22-250 as well.

I had switched to Berger match hps in all other varmint loads so did the same to the .204 and bang flop after that. In my opinion many .17 Rem, .204 and even up to 22-250 end up going back to the store because people shoot rapid expansion varmint bullets at coyotes. Do yourself a favor and shoot a hollow point not designed to open up immediately. If you go the Berger route, do not get their MEF (Varmint) HPs. Do yourself a favor and get a match hp.

ok does anyone offer a factory loading with the berger? I have had good luck with the 39 gr blitz kings in the past but everyone is backordered at the moment.

Originally Posted By: KirschI am new to the site but wanted to let you know my experience with ballistic tip ammo. I have been shooting coyotes for 25 years +. I film and hunt coyotes for a major video company. I have film of numerous coyotes being hit broadside for what should have been a perfect shot go straight down and proceed to get up and run away shooting 32 grain vmax and 34 grain Winchester hps out of a .204. We tried shooting 40 grain vmax but they key holed on us so I can't comment on the 40's. However, I have had too many spinners and brief run offs with 50 grain vmax out of my 22-250 as well.

I had switched to Berger match hps in all other varmint loads so did the same to the .204 and bang flop after that. In my opinion many .17 Rem, .204 and even up to 22-250 end up going back to the store because people shoot rapid expansion varmint bullets at coyotes. Do yourself a favor and shoot a hollow point not designed to open up immediately. If you go the Berger route, do not get their MEF (Varmint) HPs. Do yourself a favor and get a match hp.

Excellent advice. Cabela's used to have a 40 gr Berger load in their Shooting catalog. They may have been in 200 round lots. I've used the 35 gr Bergers mostly but the 40's might work just as well on your Wyoming coyotes as they probably tend to be a little larger than ours. The only other concern is your twist rate. The 35's will stabilize in almost anything but 40's may not. Good luck. (As if you need more--saw your five-dog-stand post!)

lol thanks it was the 1st time using v-max's and wasn't impressed with the performance on the dogs. but john, my brother-in-law has never had a issue.

Originally Posted By: venaticJust curious has anyone used the 30gr Bergers on Coyotes?

I've used them for a couple years now. Also 32gr & 40gr v-max and 40gr barnes and 26gr Grenades.

For Canadian coyotes the 32 vmax and 26 grenades work but shot placement is crucial. Preferaly calling and broadside shots under 250 yards.

The 30gr Bergers are better but still to light for the running away shots. (not enough penatration IMO) But frontal and broadside shots they rarely exit.

The 40gr Noslers seem to be a good all around choice but there is almost always a exit wound 1-1.5".

I'm using a CZ 527 with a leopold 4.5-14X40 varmit reticle, xterminator powder and rem 7 1/2 primers.

Back