What do you use as a rest for the AR

rickyb

I have a D-tech and I have shot bolt guns mostly on yotes. I made a shooting stick out of some dowel rods and covered it with some soft cloth on the end where the gun sits. Now that I have the d-tech it doesn't sit in the cradle worth a dang. What do you guys use. I always sit in one of those three legged chairs or stools so to get up off the ground a little. Those shooting sticks are essential to my hunting gear. What do you guys us. Rick

I use stony point shooting stick. I use the taller version. At times I make stands standing to get a better view over the brush and these work perfect for sitting on a stool and standing.

drscott

I've tried Versa Pods, they work great you can swivel up/down and left/right(30degrees each directio), but it was just a little short when setting on a decline. I now have them on my plinkers for the kids to use.

I have the Harris Swivle bipod, it also works great but I don't always like having all the weight added onto my AR. Not the easiest bipod to take off. Sent that to my brother for P-dog shooting.

The one I like the best that I have tried so far is the Polecat bipod. It has a quick detach mount on it. Swivels 360 degrees if you wanted to. Legs can extend quickly for uneven ground or if you need to shoot from kneeling position. By far this is the easiest to use for me and easiest to detach when I don't want the extra weight.

A good pair of homemade/store bought shooting sticks are just as easy to use though if you don't want a bipod.

RickyB, A cheap (and I know cheap) way to make a cradle that will hold an AR is to go to your local hardware/farm/auto store and get some clear tubing (water or gas line) that will fit tightly over your dowel rods and slip one end over each dowel, so it will be shaped like a horse shoe...

Depending on the length you use, it will limit the degree of outward extension on the legs and the vinyl(?) will give you a rounded, non-slip surface for the AR forearm...Makes an excellent cradle with very little cost.

Like this OldTurtle?
03-21-09_1311.jpg

It is hard to see the hose, but i used an old aluminum House TV antenna rather than dowel rods.

Sometimes i will take the B-Square Bi-pod.
03-21-09_0958.jpg

Originally Posted By: 17tacticalPrimos trigger stick

I agree 100% if ya can afford them. They are a little spendy.

DAB

I did the same thing as juice but rather than antenna, I used the round, fiberglass fence posts used for temporary electric fence. They are about 1/4" dia and 4' long. Light and cheap.

still use the harris bipod.all my freinds use sticks but they have to carry them in their back pockets or free hand and they alway seem like a hassel to me ,just my opinion

I use predator sniper stix.Stoney points are good too.Bipods are good if you know where the animal is going to show up.Last coyote I called I had to even swing around the rear without sticks and shoot at a running yote.

Why is "Harris" such a good bi-pod??? My B-Squre in the pic on the first page works great! Plus it doesnt have those springs to snag stuff on. Just a question out of curiosity.

Back