nikon coyote special

CD82

has anyone used this scope or have one? if so what do you think about it. it has there bdc and some anti reflective piece to. screw into the end of the scope dont look like a bad scope to me. whould it be on an AR that i will get soon. or better on my .204?

I have one and I like it OK. Seems to work as advertised.

IMG_0333.jpg

well i was doing some more an i dont think it whould do good on a 204

the way i understand its calibrated for 223

223 or 22-250. I just got one, but havent used it yet. Other than the reticle and finish, seems the same as another Nikon I have (thats a Mil-Dot) and I LOVE that one. Other than low light I like almost everything about it better than the Zeiss.

I have one myself. I just got it mounted to my ar .204. I haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. Even though the reticle is designed for the .223 an .22-250 it will work on probably any varmint rig (.17,.204,.243,.25.06) one chooses to put it on, you will (like myself) just have to put in a little range time. With the .204 I would say zero it at 200 then shoot at various distances to find out where the lower circles ranges are. In a previous post I tried to see if anyone had this set up on a .204 and if they were using a 32 or 40 grn bullet to find out what they had for distances after the 200 yard zero. I shoot a 33grn bullet for now at an average of 4020fps chronied. The wind has been a little gusty here lately for testing but I hope to get out soon. When I get my results I will post them for those that have a similar set up. Hope this helps.

I can tell you that with a 52gr Berger traveling at 3350fps if you sightin to the center of the top circle at 100yds the bullet will impact at the bottom of the same circle at 200yds with the scope on 9X.If it ever stops raining I will check the 300yd and 400yd circles.

Platapus -well said... put in the range time if you get one and you will actually know how it works without speculation. I haven't had a chance to shood mine since it has been snowing for the last 2 days since I purchased it.

CD82 -low light condition "not very good" is awefully subjective but with my peepers its better than the leupold VXIII pistol I have and better than the VX-7 I had (biggest marketing scam in history IMHO) But nowhere near as good as the Zeiss conquest I have. Obviously I chose Nikon again so I do really like the one allready have. If I had to try to quantify it the low light is a 7 out of 10 compared to the scopes I've used which is great for the under $400 price range.
Sorry if I seem evasive about the question but I cant really explain it any better than to compare it to what else I know. If you have any more specific questions on it I would be happy to try to answer them. -Charlie

This is a good thread.
As I read down thru all of the postings, I was thinking that it would make sense for Nikon to take an existing scope, and change the cosmetics making it into a camouflaged Coyote scope. But, I don't know that for sure. I think it would be of value to find out if that's what Nikon actually did?

well birddog i missunderstood what you stated he first time.

its kind of funny though a buddy had bought one of the nikon. scopes from academy it was like in the 200$ price range. fine crosshair and put it on his 22-250 he bought same day. well 2 weeks before that i had bought a Remington .204. and i bought a Bushnell 3x9x40 trophy with circle plex reticle. and we were out an it was getting dark and were comparing. scopes an he and i both thought the bushy looked better. in a low light condition situation thats why i asked that question. about the low light views of the scope.

now im fixen to get a 223 bolt or in ar not sure yet. and ill be looking to outfit it with a scope. i seen this one in predator xtreem mag. an wanted to get some reviews on it

I have one on order and it should be here by end of week. I have lots of scopes to compare it with and will give a review. Was hot and cold on the circles but decided to give it a try based on Byron's reviews when the scope was introduced.

I have one of the Nikon Coyote 4.5-14X40 I really like it. I am a big Nikon fan I have to say. Own a few Buckmasters and Monarch scopes, I also have a Zeiss Conquest, and an older Leupold. I am very happy with the Nikon Coyote. I think it performs excellent in low light conditions. I am not sure what glass they used in it but it seems just as bright and clear as the Monarch scopes that I have. I also really like the reticle. It allows for quick acquisition of targets and leaves you free of clutter to focus on your point of impact. I was a little curious as to whether or not it would be hard to get the scope to group well on a target. That has not been the case at all. In fact I like the circle reticle very much. My wife also really likes the reticle and says it is easier for her to focus on the target she is trying to hit.
The one thing that I don't like about the scope is this: I am shooting a .223, and I can shoot the main circle out to about 180 yards (and that is sighted in dead on at 100yds), then the second circle is accurate from about 250yds to 320yds, and I have not shot much with the 3rd circle but it seems to be pretty accurate at 400yds. The part I don't like is having to use the line that runs between the top circle and middle circle to shoot that 180-250 yard area. It makes for too much clutter. (when I say accurate I am saying that using the circle reticle centered on the target it will put the bullet on that target, normally a 6-8 inch circle)

my thing is how big are the range circles ?

i couldnt even see the lines in like a burris the range plex or what ever. no matter whati adjusted the focus too

They are designed to bracket a coyote at the distance calibrated for those calibers the scope was built for (.223&.22-250). So if you are going with a different caliber, they will still work as a rangefinder.

My Coyote Special 4.5-14 arrived along with another Nikon scope and a pair of Nikon Monarch Binoculars 10x42. All are new in the box. The side focus knob on the Coyote scope is frozen and will not turn with any amount of pressure and the eye cups on the binoculars are so loose they fall down when pulled out for focus adjustment. The other scope appears OK. Is this the Nikon quality others are experiencing? Now I have to spend more $$ to send for repairs or maybe just get a refund and buy some quality optics.

I just bought one but I was thinking of mounting it on my .308 Savage Model 10FP, I just bought the gun. Haven't even shot it yet. I do have a RRA .223 16" Varmit, but I shoot 75grn bullets out of it which has nearly the trajectory as the 150grn .308. What would you guys do?

My Coyote Special 4.5-14 arrived along with another Nikon scope and a pair of Nikon Monarch Binoculars 10x42. All are new in the box. The side focus knob on the Coyote scope is frozen and will not turn with any amount of pressure and the eye cups on the binoculars are so loose they fall down when pulled out for focus adjustment. The other scope appears OK. Is this the Nikon quality others are experiencing? Now I have to spend more $$ to send for repairs or maybe just get a refund and buy some quality optics.

Va Ken,

Pull the side focus dial out and then try turning it.

HI guys I am new to this forum

I have alot of different scopes a monarch uss 4-12 being one of them. I have come to the conclusion that for the money Nikon has my vote. One day I will have a custom Leupold but not anytime soon

One thing I have always struggled with is how heavy the crosshairs are. I have a v16 duplex and it can be challenging to focus the hairs. I also can not see ballistic plex in burris.

So my question is are the circles big enough to see easily or are the very small and how heavy are the lines?

Back