Shooting sticks or bipod?

SnakeFarm250

I have always just used some homemade shooting sticks, but I have been thinking about getting a bipod. I would want them tall enough to shoot off of either kneeling or sitting. Been looking at the stoney point rapid pivot. What do you guys use or recommend?

+1 on the monopod! i really love them, because they are as sturdy as a bipod, but also if i need to move my gun i can just let the monopod fall, and the bipod could easyily get hung up on brush.

you just gotta try. its mainly up to what you prefer. i like a bipod and i've tried stix and my hunting partners mainly prefer stix to fixed bipods. we just kinda buy something and everyone takes turns trying it out.

Shooting sticks...No exception. Bipods limit you on downhill and more importantly, uphill shots. Swiveling on a moving coyote is harder than heck on bipods.

Tony

I prefer sticks. I like being able to stick them in my pack and not have then on the gun and I can also close them up with one hand and have an instant monopod which is easier to pivot and adjust. With sticks, you can also slightly close them with one hand and slightly raise the height that way.

the only thing I wish had was a better way to keep the gun propped up on them in case I want to grab my shotgun.

Ive had good success with the Stoney Point PoleCat steady stix II which were maybe.. 40$ if that. It unfolds from 14-39"s which is perfect. They have def given me the rock steady 1 shot confidence for clean kills.

They are more convenient, portable, and versatile than attached bipods, and wont change your point of impact! Everyone is different though, just my .02

try this: http://www.levellok.com/system_accessories.html I'm ordering the monopod and the vice cradle. i spoke with them today and they said that it hooked to the AR handguards perfectly. i think it will be the best of both worlds, not having to carry sticks or a monopod but i don't like bipods, they are always too short. what do you think? i could not find any reviews on them.

Harris 27S here...i recognize the issues of weight,terrain changes & the occassional blood blister...for me not having to lean my rifles on a bush,fence post or lay it on the ground,mud,snow or rocks while climb'n fences or sit'n down at my stand offsets the negatives...at a stand i take notice of potential leg hangups...but it will happen...as far as changing ur point of impact-huh?...bipods attach to the stock...i've seen guys lay their barrel on sticks & monopod and that will change ur POI...i practice on 2 liter/milk jugs out to 400yds.

Last edited:
firstcous, not if you use the gun snubber on your sticks. The sticks stay on your gun then. You can shoot level, up hill, down hill, whereever you want. Stretch em out low to the ground, when you pull your gun up, the sticks self adjust. Easiest tool in the world to use. Tom Austin

I have em all, the mono pod and the sinperstyx and the Harris Bipods. My 223 and 204 and 6.5 all have the Harris 25s on them and I find them perfect for me. Yeah they are heavier, yeah they are always on the gun, yeah they can be not ideal in every landscape and terrain and setup. But I like them. Plus, I am a little guy so my 25s can get to almost any height I need them. Remember, you dont HAVE TO use the full extension of both sections to use the Bipod. I often and I mean OFTEN adjust the main section mast to the height I want by just snugging up the tensioner lug and then it stays just fine. Then, I have the exact height I want based on where I am. Works for me.

Styx may be more flexible for some and that is fine. Plus, as often as I carry a ladder, last thing I want is something else to carry!!!

Try what you can and make a decision that suits you. One size does NOT fit all!

homemade shooting sticks for me. BUT, I might be changing to something different. I went hunting with my buddy last weekend and he made one out of a cheap camera tripod. He cut a 4" piece of PVC in half and mounted it too the top of the tripod. Can swivel up and down, side to side with ease. And you can adjust it too any height...

Back